A tidbit/rumor to share

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
That’s why I’m saying Mclay would be a made man here with the cowboys rather than another place.

I know made man is a mob term. But what I mean by it is that he would be making big time money here with the cowboys and as long as he keeps doing what he is doing, never have to worry about being fired because Jerry and Stephen love him.

As opposed to being GM someplace else. Where if the team fails his head is On the chopping block.

I've always laughed at the notion that JJ was the cracker and all around him were the whipping boys. I think there is a great deal of mutual respect among JJ, SJ, WM and JG. Titles are just titles. Never been in that corporate board room. I think it's a good group who play well together. We hear so much crap from other teams about the owner, GM, coach disagreeing. They can have the drama, I'll take stability.

Mannix

Reaction score
--------I may be a harsh critic, but I can also give credit where credit is due. And he deserves to stick around.

I need to see a hell of a lot more than a 2 point Wild Card victory to suddenly say that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
--------I may be a harsh critic, but I can also give credit where credit is due. And he deserves to stick around.

I need to see a hell of a lot more than a 2 point Wild Card victory to suddenly say that.

That's cool. I can respect a differing opinion. I just don't see how you fire a coach after a 7-1 finish, a 10-6 overall record, and a playoff win.

Have you seen what some of the other team's are hiring for their head coaches?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'd be behind it but why would Garrett want to give up coaching? Unless at this point he's just ready to move on and get away from the day to day grind that a HC has to deal with?
Probably be a big pay raise for him

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Why? a 2 point win is as good as a 20 point win. It's like horse shoes and hand grenades as long as you're closer to the target than the other, you get to throw another ;)

snapper

Reaction score
Here's how I see it playing out:
  1. Richard get a new title, a pay raise and stays.
  2. Garrett posts a losing record in 2019.
  3. Garrett gets fired in 2020.
  4. Richard becomes the new HC of the Dallas Cowboys.
:dance:

Dre11

Reaction score
I see what you’re saying. But then again GM is as high as it gets.

So if he is making GM money and essentially becomes a made man in the cowboys organization. Where else or what else is there really to work up to? That’s basically as prestigious as it gets. Other than getting a shot to be the sole decision maker. Which would be good but also be more risky.

It may not always be the money once you have it. Maybe I shouldn't use resume only , but alsowhen your career is done, and They're handing out awards and notoriety. That title looks good. Look at it this was, if Ron Wolfe didn't have the title of GM, would we be crediting him with building anything? Gil Brandt? Everybody wants to be the man at some point....lol eight know he's a part of a GM team. With Jerry being the leader.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Here's how I see it playing out:
  1. Richard get a new title, a pay raise and stays.
  2. Garrett posts a losing record in 2019.
  3. Garrett gets fired in 2020.
  4. Richard becomes the new HC of the Dallas Cowboys.
:dance:
so now Richards is the love of the cowboys fans that hate garrett, and there has been a long list of those coaches that people prefer over garrett....this is the same Richards that got passed over by 4 teams already and fired from his previous job.

not saying he is not a good coach...but lets kool off on all the Richard love.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying to take it with a grain of salt. Give it as much or as little value as you see fit.

A friend of mine talks with someone with connections to the Cowboys organization, out of respect for privacy and confidentiality, I can't and won't give any names, so if you think I'm full of it, well, it won't be the first time.

But I'm told that there's talk that Jerry might make an unprecented move to keep this train going. It's been talked about the possibility of promoting Jason Garrett to the GM role and naming Kris Richard the team's head coach. It would quiet any talk of why Jones won't hire a GM and allow the team to keep a coach that the entire organization loves. Garrett would work with Will McClay on the draft and get a raise and everybody wins.

They love Richard but also love what Garrett has brought in terms of the culture of the organization and have discussed how to maintain all of that.

Again, it's second hand rumor from a friend of a friend, so take it for what it's worth. Something or nothing might come of it, but I felt it was an exciting possibility when it was shared with me so I wanted to pass it on.
@stasheroo ... Dude.... If this were to happen, I would send you a $50 Visa gift card for you to go out and sip many a beer on. Period. Remember I said that... Because this is a dream scenario for me...

Jesus

Dre11

Reaction score
That's cool and I appreciate your opinion. But I disagree. Unless McClay's salary or job is in danger, I don't see why it would be a problem for him.

I would feel the same , but because I want him to stay. But if JG a person with lesser experience jumps him, I can see him feeling slighted .

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Lincoln Riley would be a fantastic hire. I am a huge Sooners fan. But that's extremely unlikely to happen right now. I would glad to be proven wrong. I just don't see it happening in the immediate future.

Matthew McConaughey likes Lincoln... alright, alright, alright

7f9.gif

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
He can throw out all the towels in the locker room. Then clap and make a speech. He used to be an offensive mind but now he's tied up with the Detroit Curse. Lol.

He does still have a good Arm

The curse of the Sorry te core in a game where you need POINTS
All the other skilled guys got their averges last week. But it's gonna take more than a repeat .

I'm stealing from the old College fund TO BET this weekend. The rb with the most scores on Saturday will take HOME THE LOWBARDI THIS YEAR !!!! BANK IT

Last edited:

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying to take it with a grain of salt. Give it as much or as little value as you see fit.

A friend of mine talks with someone with connections to the Cowboys organization, out of respect for privacy and confidentiality, I can't and won't give any names, so if you think I'm full of it, well, it won't be the first time.

But I'm told that there's talk that Jerry might make an unprecented move to keep this train going. It's been talked about the possibility of promoting Jason Garrett to the GM role and naming Kris Richard the team's head coach. It would quiet any talk of why Jones won't hire a GM and allow the team to keep a coach that the entire organization loves. Garrett would work with Will McClay on the draft and get a raise and everybody wins.

They love Richard but also love what Garrett has brought in terms of the culture of the organization and have discussed how to maintain all of that.

Again, it's second hand rumor from a friend of a friend, so take it for what it's worth. Something or nothing might come of it, but I felt it was an exciting possibility when it was shared with me so I wanted to pass it on.

I’d take this ...NOW!

eromeopolk

Reaction score

You have Will McClay as VP of Player Personnel in title but functions as a GM with only Jerry and Stephen the other decision makers. Adding a 4th wheel does not make sense. Remember that existed before when Ciskowski was Director of Player Personnel, McClay was Director of Pro Personnel and both reporting to Jones and Jones.

If there is anything that makes sense it would be promoting McClay to GM, and Garrett's brother Judd to Director of Player Personnel to replace Tom Ciskowski who has been giving the reigns to Lionel Vital was hired to run college scouting as Director of college scouting.

But Jerry did fire the only Head Coach the Cowboys ever had, then fired a back to back winning Super Bowl Head Coach, and ran off a Hall of Fame Head Coach. So, anything is possible.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Stephen said on 105.3 this week that they can’t do a coach in waiting like they’d do for Parcells/Wade because Jason’s a young coach. That implies that Garrett will be here a while longer.

The goal is money whip him more than most head coaches get and tell him to wait for a better job. There weren’t any attractive ones this time.