A tidbit/rumor to share

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett would essentially be a piece of furniture. LOL

If everybody is getting paid and it doesn't affect the salary cap? I don't see why not?

Let's face it, the man just spent $250 million on a yacht!

Kaiser

Reaction score
I wonder what Will McClay would think of having Garrett be his direct boss? Bad idea.

You can play with the titles, I think in Stash's scenario McClay and Garrett would have roughly equal footing in the front office. And even though none of us know how they work together, Garrett has been HC and McClay has roughly the GM for eight years together. If there was friction there, they have hidden it very well.

fansince68

Reaction score
Sound great if we are also going to get rid of Linehan and son and get an innovative OC .

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
When did he say that? Once JG was no longer calling plays?
The former #9 let slip that " off the cuff" nonchalant remark ,while calling a game up in the broadcast booth,now, whether this dawning of footballish revelation the #9 grasped upon actually happened when the Garrett was doing what? Is kinda' irrelevant, doncha' thinko_O

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The former #9 let slip that " off the cuff" nonchalant remark ,while calling a game up in the broadcast booth,now, whether this dawning of footballish revelation the #9 grasped upon actually happened when the Garrett was doing what? Is kinda' irrelevant, doncha' thinko_O
My point is, maybe Tony just meant that it's not Garrett's job to be an "X's and O's" guy anymore. I don't recall him saying he never was.

Reaction score
A very thought provoking scenario. And one I would be hugely in favor of.

Ever since Jerry bought the team, the thing that made him get up in the morning was winning Super Bowls and becoming insanely rich. With him standing tall in front of it all.

Has that changed? Doubtful. But maybe his new battleship is a sign that he's ready to take a step back. Its all speculation at this point.

I'll believe it when I see it. But it is fun thinking about

Jipper

Reaction score
not happening....would love it to happen...but not happening....jerry wont step aside in his lifetime...he will be GM on the gurney till the end

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
A friend of a friend told me that a friend of his friend told him that a friend of another persons friend told her that her friend told her that a friend of his friends told him that your friends friend might be right.

You made that perfectly clear....

skinsscalper

Reaction score
That's cool. I can respect a differing opinion. I just don't see how you fire a coach after a 7-1 finish, a 10-6 overall record, and a playoff win.

Have you seen what some of the other team's are hiring for their head coaches?
So much this.^^^^^^^^

CWR

Reaction score
Man those would be phenomenal moves for us!

Blackspider214

Reaction score
So then what happens to Will McClay? He would jump ship as fast as he could if Garrett came in and took his role.

I was talking to my uncle before the game about Garrett. He's not a good coach in terms of gameplanning, playcalling or adjustments but he does bring some value to this team in terms of how the players love playing for him. He always has them motivated. He connects with them. If you can retain that value but get him out of the coaching role, that would work.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying to take it with a grain of salt. Give it as much or as little value as you see fit.

A friend of mine talks with someone with connections to the Cowboys organization, out of respect for privacy and confidentiality, I can't and won't give any names, so if you think I'm full of it, well, it won't be the first time.

But I'm told that there's talk that Jerry might make an unprecented move to keep this train going. It's been talked about the possibility of promoting Jason Garrett to the GM role and naming Kris Richard the team's head coach. It would quiet any talk of why Jones won't hire a GM and allow the team to keep a coach that the entire organization loves. Garrett would work with Will McClay on the draft and get a raise and everybody wins.

They love Richard but also love what Garrett has brought in terms of the culture of the organization and have discussed how to maintain all of that.

Again, it's second hand rumor from a friend of a friend, so take it for what it's worth. Something or nothing might come of it, but I felt it was an exciting possibility when it was shared with me so I wanted to pass it on.
Thanx.

This is interesting.

I felt Jerrah would not be out bid for Richards.

This makes sense.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
To be fair, Garrett has only had one losing season in 9 years. He's better than you say.
but he hasn't won enough playoff...fair enough and hasn't won superbowls. so lets change that's the motto garrett haters go by.

now, other teams have changed coaches...but most have had losing season and crappy teams. Garrett's one lone really bad season was when we lost Romo and had Weeden as a back up....that's on the GM not thinking anything could happen to an injury prone QB!!!

Garrett has underwhelmed as a game day manager....I get it, but so did all the other coaches we had here with lesser results....

and right now, everyone wants Kingsbury....until he fizzles in AZ and none of the ones here screaming for him will say anything, except they want the next hot name...its been the same for years now....and none of these guys even wanted McVay...now they are on the bandwagon going we should have hired McVay.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
My point is, maybe Tony just meant that it's not Garrett's job to be an "X's and O's" guy anymore. I don't recall him saying he never was.
O.K.,,,I can COPY on that 'angle',,,but,,, I'd bet just about anything costing less than $5 bucks, that the X #9 said: " Coach GARRETT never was much of an X's&0's type of Coach",,, er,,,like one of those jumbo snickers candy bars,,,I'll wagero_O

:starspin::lmao::starspin:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
O.K.,,,I can COPY on that 'angle',,,but,,, I'd bet just about anything costing less than $5 bucks, that the X #9 said: " Coach GARRETT never was much of an X's&0's type of Coach",,, er,,,like one of those jumbo snickers candy bars,,,I'll wagero_O

:starspin::lmao::starspin:
I vaguely remember the quote, and I recall thinking it wasn't meant as an insult to Garrett's ability.