A Trade Down Mock

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I am wondering what a trade down Mock could look like. I am using the old draft value chart we all know. Right now we have the #9 pick, which carries a draft value of 1350.

Trade down from #9 to #17 (950 draft value), pick up #49 (17th pick of round 2, 410 draft value).

I want to say to begin this I want to sign Logan Mankins and start him at LG, moving Kosier to RG. Davis is gone.

The draft numbers would be affected by Compensatory picks, but for now the numbers are simply the 9th pick of each round.

1st Round...#17. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami, 5'11", 195.
This kid was born to play football. He is tough in both run and pass situations. Teams do not throw at him, and when they do, he makes them pay. Last year, 15 pass breakups. Harris and Jenkins start, Newman moves to FS. He plays better facing the football already.

2nd Round...#41. Matt Reynolds, OT, BYU, 6'6", 325. Reynolds is a RT at the NFL level, but he is a wall to get around and when he lead blocks guys move. I let Colombo go and start Reynolds. Free Reign is disbanded.

2nd Round...#49. Quan Sturdivant, ILB, North Carolina, 6'2", 235. Last year we got the future Keith Brooking in the 2nd. This year we get the future Bradie James. He is the best ILB in this draft class and has football instincts. he always hits the right gaps.

3rd Round...#73. Kristofer O'Dowd, C, USC, 6'5", 300. My favorite OL in this Draft by far. He is mean. He is nasty. He is dominating.

4th Round...#105. Mark Barron, SS, Alabama, 6'2", 215.
He is a big hitter. His Junior year was more impressive than his Senior year has been. That is because teams are afraid of him and his bone jarring collisions.

5th Round...#137. JaQuizz Rodgers, RB, Oregon State, 5'9", 190. The only way Marion Barber would remain for 2011 is as a FB. The 3rd RB needs to be a guy who makes his mark on the Special Teams. This guy can be the primary Punt and Kickoff guy saving Dez Bryant for Offense.

6th Round...#169. Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama, 6'2", 220.
He is a backup QB, but one who has the smarts to win for you if your starter goes down. I think we should groom QBs, especially given Garrett's system. If one develops and is not capable of starting for us, draft picks from someone else.

7th Round...#201. Davon House, CB, New Mexico State University, 6'0", 180. Could be a late round steal. He has speed and good cover skills, but he plays at one of the most dismal college programs ever and gets overlooked.

7th round...#210...Cecil Shorts III, WR, Mount Union, 6'0", 190.
From Chargers for Crayton. Simply put, this kid is a weapon. He can score on runs, catches, returns, and he even plays some QB. His stats from a small school just leap off the page at you and he plays for a Div III school that knows how to win. He will make some team very happy in the NFL.

As always, you are free to rip it apart. I can take it. Okay, I'm kidding, be gentle. Naw, that was the kidding. If you hate it, don't be shy. Say so.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Not bad. I don't like the safety pick though. I think we should stop with the mid-round safeties every year. Pat Watkins, Mike Hamlin, DeAngelo Smith, AOA. I think Barron is a solid college player but so were Hamlin and Watkins. If we're ever going to address safety, we need to get a true talent, a bluechip prospect (Round 1 or 2)

I love the Sturdivant pick but realistically, I doubt the Cowboys are in any hurry to find James' replacement. He's probably here for 3+ more seasons

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
Seems very realistic. I wouldn't be excited, but I would be content. I don't see Harris turning out as well as you do, but if he did that would be fine by me.

Me and you obviously would go in different directions drafting-wise, but I wouldn't be upset with your draft.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
TheCoolFan;3755937 said:
Not bad. I don't like the safety pick though. I think we should stop with the mid-round safeties every year. Pat Watkins, Mike Hamlin, DeAngelo Smith, AOA. I think Barron is a solid college player but so were Hamlin and Watkins. If we're ever going to address safety, we need to get a true talent, a bluechip prospect (Round 1 or 2)

I love the Sturdivant pick but realistically, I doubt the Cowboys are in any hurry to find James' replacement. He's probably here for 3+ more seasons
From what I've seen Barron can't play the pass at all. He may have good timed speed (I haven't noticed it pass coverage-wise), but it doesn't show up when watching him.

I'm also reluctant to replace Bradie because I think he's the best leader on the team.

Even though I'm critical of it I still think it's a solid mock, and I wouldn't be upset with it. The picks seem realistic.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The Safety I want is Deunta Williams, but I don't see him falling out of the 1st round. If we could get him and Patrick Peterson I would literally believe no one could throw on us.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
Love this mock.I am a big Hurricane fan and Harris will be a great corner on the next level. The only problem I have with it is the Dline isn't address but I will take it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;3755966 said:
Love this mock.I am a big Hurricane fan and Harris will be a great corner on the next level. The only problem I have with it is the Dline isn't address but I will take it.
Other than Fairley I really don't like DL in this Draft. I like the kid from Iowa, but not in round 1. Just not seeing DL depth in this draft. I think there will be a lot of reaches.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3755965 said:
The Safety I want is Deunta Robinson, but I don't see him falling out of the 1st round. If we could get him and Patrick Peterson I would literally believe no one could throw on us.

That's Deunta Williams and there's a great chance he won't even sniff the first round.

Reaction score
Hostile;3755965 said:
The Safety I want is Deunta Robinson, but I don't see him falling out of the 1st round. If we could get him and Patrick Peterson I would literally believe no one could throw on us.

There's actually a really really good chance Deunta Williams doesn't go in the first. I'd put lots of money on it.

Also, if were looking to trade down, I'd look at Justin Houston mid too late first. If people are on the Quinn bandwaggon then they should be on this kids aswell. Better fit for the 3-4. He's going to be great for some team.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3755898 said:
5th Round...#137. JaQuizz Rodgers, RB, Oregon State, 5'9", 190. The only way Marion Barber would remain for 2011 is as a FB. The 3rd RB needs to be a guy who makes his mark on the Special Teams. This guy can be the primary Punt and Kickoff guy saving Dez Bryant for Offense.

As always, you are free to rip it apart. I can take it. Okay, I'm kidding, be gentle. Naw, that was the kidding. If you hate it, don't be shy. Say so.

JaQuizz Rodgers is 5'7", not 5'9".

Also, it's James Rodgers not JaQuizz that returns punts and kicks, so it's pretty presumptuous to think he'll be thrown in to take over those duties from Dez in the NFL.

dogberry

Reaction score
Hostile

Do NFL teams have something like Madden to plug a prospective player into and assess impact on future games?

Does this draft mock assume secondary improvements are more important to fixing the defense than another pass rusher?

Could we throw all of our draft picks at the defense, and let the offense try to score 30 points a game with Mankin and Sam Young added to the line?

I think I realize this mock is one of many experiments at a draft strategy that will get us a Super Bowl Victory.

Kent

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
Hostile;3755975 said:
Other than Fairley I really don't like DL in this Draft. I like the kid from Iowa, but not in round 1. Just not seeing DL depth in this draft. I think there will be a lot of reaches.
I would love Watt from Wisconsin in the 2nd round He reminds me a lot of Justin Smith, and not just because he's white, but because of the style he plays. If we draft Fairley and Watt our d-line would be set for years. Assuming Peterson or Prince aren't there of course, although I would consider Fairley over Prince.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
5 or 6 rd DE/DT Karl Klug Iowa 6-3 #270 – Klug is a big guy who takes up space on the line and can shut down the running lanes. He's forced three fumbles this year and had four sacks. His ability to get to the quarterback and force turnovers definitely will get the scouts attention this spring.

5 or 6
NT Chris Neilds WV 6–2 #305 – returns for his third year as the starter at the nose tackle position … a defensive playmaker … coaching staff will count on him for leadership for the defense this season … good run stopper
09 Started all 13 games … saw action on more than 645 plays, including a season high 81 against UConn … used on 50 or more plays in nine games … finished with 35 total tackles, including 13 solo stops, two tackles for loss, a pass breakup and an interception … posted four or more tackles in five games

I think the Canuck is right D Williams is a 2rd pick

I think we found our KR an PR in McMann -

I know you wantJaQuizz Rodgers, RB - but we waste a pick on him an a little shrimp RB I will be pissed

give me
Matt Szczur, WR/RB/KR, Vill 5-11 #195
Da'Rel Scott, RB, Maryland 5-11 #200
Anthony Allen Geo Tech 6 #230

RS12

Reaction score
Only picks I like are Sturdivant, Barron, and Rodgers. Back to the drawing board on the rest.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Newman has been far worse in zone than he was in man. He hasn't shown to be better facing the football. Moving him to FS would result in another Alan Ball experiment im afraid, but with even less run support. If we want a playmaking FS, draft a FS or sign a FS. Enough with trying to play guys out of position though.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hostile;3755965 said:

Who's Deunta Robinson? I take it you mean Deunta Williams? I haven't seen him projected as a 1st rounder anywhere.

As far as the draft, I'm not really a fan of it as a whole but I like a few of the players and it seems to address needs other than failing to secure any defensive trench players. I also have no desire to see Newman play FS, personally. His body can barely handle the rigors of playing CB, much less safety before you even get into the skill set necessary.

I am curious about one thing though, and this is an aside, was the UNC defense so dominant it deserves to have so many of its players considered the top of the heap? No agenda, I just haven't really watched them play.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
realtick;3756015 said:
JaQuizz Rodgers is 5'7", not 5'9".

Also, it's James Rodgers not JaQuizz that returns punts and kicks, so it's pretty presumptuous to think he'll be thrown in to take over those duties from Dez in the NFL.
I am a Pac 10 homer and I know this. It doesn't mean he can't do it. He is sure handed, elusive, and talented.

Welcome to the real world where all Mock Drafts are presumptuous.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheCount;3756053 said:
Who's Deunta Robinson? I take it you mean Deunta Williams? I haven't seen him projected as a 1st rounder anywhere.

As far as the draft, I'm not really a fan of it as a whole but I like a few of the players and it seems to address needs other than failing to secure any defensive trench players. I also have no desire to see Newman play FS, personally. His body can barely handle the rigors of playing CB, much less safety before you even get into the skill set necessary.

I am curious about one thing though, and this is an aside, was the UNC defense so dominant it deserves to have so many of its players considered the top of the heap? No agenda, I just haven't really watched them play.
I changed it to Williams. No idea what I was thinking in saying Robinson. I have seen him as a top 25 pick in two services.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3756064 said:
I am a Pac 10 homer and I know this. It doesn't mean he can't do it. He is sure handed, elusive, and talented.

Welcome to the real world where all Mock Drafts are presumptuous.

You're right.

I'd like us to draft Cam Newton and put him at OG. He's never played the position, but it doesn't mean he can't do it.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
realtick;3756070 said:
You're right.

I'd like us to draft Cam Newton and put him at OG. He's never played the position, but it doesn't mean he can't do it.

What does that have to do with having a RB return kicks?