A Trade Down Mock

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheCount;3756073 said:
What does that have to do with having a RB return kicks?
Not a damned thing. But it has everything to do with just being a bitter San Jose State Spartan.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
here is my trade down mock

1. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami or one of OT's

2. Deunta Williams, FS,
North Carolina

3a. Danny Watkins,
OG, Baylor or John Moffitt, G, Wisconsin

3b.
Jarvis Jenkins, DT, Clemson

4. Da'Rel Scott, RB,
Maryland

5. Matt Szczur, WR/KR/PR, Villanova

Karl KlugDE/DT Iowa

7. Jah Reid RT Central Flo

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3756074 said:
Not a damned thing. But it has everything to do with just being a bitter San Jose State Spartan.

Right, so you want to pull Dez Bryant, who's already proven to be a dynamic weapon as a punt returner in the NFL (not to mention having proved the same in college), and replace him with JaQuizz Rodgers, who didn't return punts or kicks in college.

That's rich.

Why don't you just fess up and admit you thought it was JacQuizz returning kicks in college and not his brother James. I thought you were a Pac-10 homer? You do know JacQuizz has a brother named James that plays on the same team, right? James is also the guy that returns kicks for the Beavers, not JacQuizz. You might not have been able to make that out watching the YouTube highlights.

Lol.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;3756073 said:
What does that have to do with having a RB return kicks?

Because JacQuizz Rodgers never returned punts/kicks in college.

Yet, you want to replace a proven weapon in Dez Bryant, a guy who returned two punts for TDs in just 15 chances for a guy who hasn't done it even in college?

And the reasoning when that fact is pointed out is "well...it doesn't mean he can't do it."

Lol, that's silly.

If this team didn't have a good returner, then I'd be more apt to trying out guys like Rodgers, but that's not the case.

I'm not gonna pull Dez off of something like PR duties to place a noob like Rodgers in that spot and just assume he can handle those duties.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
McCann is going to be our primary return man next year anyway.. so this entire discussion is pointless.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
McElroy wouldnt make the team so thats a wasted pick. Take that and at least get me 1 DL. And thats coming from someone whos anti-JAG DL.

A sexy draft would to replace Reynolds w/ Marrcus Cannon and draft Bruce Carter. Hes way better than the other dude and his stock is only down b/c hes of the ACL injury. Well, if anyone can afford to wait on him its us.

1st Round...#17. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami, 5'11", 195. This kid was born to play football. He is tough in both run and pass situations. Teams do not throw at him, and when they do, he makes them pay. Last year, 15 pass breakups. Harris and Jenkins start, Newman moves to FS. He plays better facing the football already.

2nd Round...#41. Marcus Cannon

2nd Round...Nate Solder - OT

3rd Round...#73. Kristofer O'Dowd, C, USC, 6'5", 300. My favorite OL in this Draft by far. He is mean. He is nasty. He is dominating.

4th Round...#105. Bruce Carter

5th Round...#137. JaQuizz Rodgers, RB, Oregon State, 5'9", 190. The only way Marion Barber would remain for 2011 is as a FB. The 3rd RB needs to be a guy who makes his mark on the Special Teams. This guy can be the primary Punt and Kickoff guy saving Dez Bryant for Offense.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Trading down. Ugh.

I'd rather take Robert Quinn if we can't get Fairley and all the OTs are a reach that high.

I also think Cam Newton will get drafted before Dallas picks, which will help push one of the top defenders down to us.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I love the Harris pick, but I have a feeling that after the combine, pro days, and bowl games that he'll make it up around the 10 spot. Really like the Sturdivant and O'Dowd picks as well, though I do have us taking Moffitt out of Wisconsin and moving him to center over O'Dowd. Nice job.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
realtick;3756088 said:
Right, so you want to pull Dez Bryant, who's already proven to be a dynamic weapon as a punt returner in the NFL (not to mention having proved the same in college), and replace him with JaQuizz Rodgers, who didn't return punts or kicks in college.

That's rich.

Why don't you just fess up and admit you thought it was JacQuizz returning kicks in college and not his brother James. I thought you were a Pac-10 homer? You do know JacQuizz has a brother named James that plays on the same team, right? James is also the guy that returns kicks for the Beavers, not JacQuizz. You might not have been able to make that out watching the YouTube highlights.

Lol.
Let's see, off the top of my head. James is the older brother, and a Senior. He was hurt and his season ended against the Arizona Wildcats who play in Tucson, which just happens to be where I live. James wears #8 and Quizz wears #1. Their QB is a Sophomore named Ryan Katz and they handed Arizona their first loss on the season. A game played in Tucson. Was I there? I don't know. Do you know? I doubt you know.

Did you know Bryan McCann returned Punts but not Kicks in college, but returns both for the Cowboys? Did you know that most Punt and Kick Returners come from so-called "skill positions" and Defensive Backs? Did you know that QBs are considered a "skill position" but that they don't usually end up as returners until they get to the pros like Brad Smith of the Jets?

No, you did not know that. You want QBs to become Guards. You already fessed up.

Finally, the Dez Bryant angle. If you go back and look you will find in the past where I have said Terence Newman is too valuable to have returning Punts. You'll find where in the very Draft pick in questions I said it would be to "save Dez for Offense." In other words where he has more long term value. I don't mind him giving us an occasional return. I didn't mind when Deion did it. But I also look at ways to protect extremely valuable players (like Dez) and that is all this is.

Oh, and for the record, Cecil Shorts III of Mount Union is also on that list of mine and he has been a Retrun guy and has scored on both Punt and Kick Returns and I mention him as a return weapon. If you go back and look at least year's mocks of mine you will find that I wanted Dexter McCluster as the primary Return man, even though I had Owusu-Ansah on most of the same Mocks. Could it possibly be that I am simply trying to best utilize the 3rd RB? Naw, can't be it.

Oh, and last year another poster informed me (much more politely than your temper tantrum contributions) that McCluster was not a college return man. 13 Punt Returns with 1 score, and 30 Kick returns so far this year.

How did I do "fessing up?"

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3756123 said:
McCann is going to be our primary return man next year anyway.. so this entire discussion is pointless.
Which is why you had to get involved in it?

ghst187

Reaction score
I freakin love that draft....except for the QB pick....
I also think we need a G but I'd rather sign a G in FA than a T or DB, much cheaper. Logan would be nice. I'm afraid Jerry is going cheap for a while though.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Double Trouble;3756143 said:
Trading down. Ugh.

I'd rather take Robert Quinn if we can't get Fairley and all the OTs are a reach that high.

I also think Cam Newton will get drafted before Dallas picks, which will help push one of the top defenders down to us.

If we do trade down, it will probably be because another team wants one of the QB's (Newton or Mallet). An OT shouldn't be a reach in a trade down scenario to #17 as envisioned in this mock. I think you'll start seeing some OT's come off the board by the mid-teens.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like it Hos.

I'd be very pleased with it.

The only selection I give pause on is the choice of Barron in the 4th round. These tall, heavy safeties are putting me off... they just don't have the ability to change direction fast enough for coverage.

I'd rather see a slightly undersized safety prospect who can run.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3756171 said:
Let's see, off the top of my head. James is the older brother, and a Senior. He was hurt and his season ended against the Arizona Wildcats who play in Tucson, which just happens to be where I live. James wears #8 and Quizz wears #1. Their QB is a Sophomore named Ryan Katz and they handed Arizona their first loss on the season. A game played in Tucson. Was I there? I don't know. Do you know? I doubt you know.

Awesome. The internet is a wonderful thing isn't it; you can get yourself educated in seconds and appear to be informed.

BTW, thanks for telling me everything I already knew. Remember, I was the one who told you about JacQuizz having a brother named James who returned kicks, so giving me a breakdown of the Rodgers brothers is a bit comical.

Did you know Bryan McCann returned Punts but not Kicks in college, but returns both for the Cowboys?

Did you know that you're flat-out wrong?

Funny, somebody masquerading as Bryan McCann returned 34 kickoffs for 824 yards for SMU in 2009. Not to mention he had been returning kicks since his freshman year.

Let's see if you have a backpedal better than McCann now.

How did I do "fessing up?"

Great question, that remains to be seen after you've shown yourself to be completely misinformed.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
realtick;3756850 said:
Awesome. The internet is a wonderful thing isn't it; you can get yourself educated in seconds and appear to be informed.
Yes, you can, but I didn't. As I said, that was off the top of my head. I do not care if you don't believe it, but if you would really like to push the issue let's put some money on whether or not I'd pass a lie detector test asking me if I knew about the brothers. Put your money where your mouth is if you really have the nads to keep insisting I had no idea

BTW, thanks for telling me everything I already knew. Remember, I was the one who told you about JacQuizz having a brother named James who returned kicks, so giving me a breakdown of the Rodgers brothers is a bit comical.
No, the comedy was you assuming I didn't know that information already. You didn't tell me this information. I have known if for about 3 years.

Did you know that you're flat-out wrong?

Funny, somebody masquerading as Bryan McCann returned 34 kickoffs for 824 yards for SMU in 2009. Not to mention he had been returning kicks since his freshman year.

Let's see if you have a backpedal better than McCann now.
It would not be the first time I have been wrong. Please show me a link, because when I looked it up I found Punt Returns but not Kick Returns. I have no problem being wrong. Everyone is now and then.

Great question, that remains to be seen after you've shown yourself to be completely misinformed.
Blah, blah, blah boring.

Reaction score
Hostile;3756924 said:
It would not be the first time I have been wrong. Please show me a link, because when I looked it up I found Punt Returns but not Kick Returns. I have no problem being wrong. Everyone is now and then.

It was the other way around. He returned kicks but not punts(limited his soph year) and now he does both in the NFL. Also, as you already noted, McCluster didn't do either in college, and he's pretty damn successful handling the duties in the pros. So I don't see why your idea of having him(Jacquizz) as a returner is far-fetched.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CanuckCowboysFan;3756944 said:
It was the other way around. He returned kicks but not punts(limited his soph year) and now he does both in the NFL. Also, as you already noted, McCluster didn't do either in college, and he's pretty damn successful handling the duties in the pros. So I don't see why your idea of having him(Jacquizz) as a returner is far-fetched.
It isn't he just wants to be a jerk about it and I honestly don't care.

I think it's pretty laughable to think I know about a guy like Cecil Shorts, a kid from Division III MOunt Union, but would have never heard of James Rodgers, even though I have had JaQuizz in every mock I have done this year.

I even posted the comment about him getting hurt here in Tucson, against Arizona. Yeah, clearly I have never heard of the guy. In fact I think Quizz got hurt in that game too, but not as bad as James did.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I dont usually care about the Pac-10 and Ive known about the Rodgers brothers for a year or two, this is lame move on.

Hows McElroy going to make the roster and all the other stuff I said?

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3756962 said:
I dont usually care about the Pac-10 and Ive known about the Rodgers brothers for a year or two, this is lame move on.

Rahim Moore for Cannon.

Newman at FS = monumental fail IMO. Enough with the experiments. I want a playmaker.

Moore is the definition of a ballhawk.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3756962 said:
I think McElroy would make it as a backup. I like Cannon just fine, not as sold on Carter, but don't hate it.