AAF football operations will be suspended

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It seems like these fledgling leagues routinely buck the odds of realizing long lasting success.

Like many others, I enjoyed the games that were presented but sadly, it was all for naught. :(

cern

Reaction score
who"da thunk it? seems some will never understand the saying "throwing good money after bad". the NFL's like organized crime. they've staked out their territory. no upstarts are going to come in and start dealing on their turf.

Rayman70

Reaction score
who"da thunk it? seems some will never understand the saying "throwing good money after bad". the NFL's like organized crime. they've staked out their territory. no upstarts are going to come in and start dealing on their turf.
well said cern. I've always said the same thing as well. It amounts to exactly THAT.

cern

Reaction score
well said cern. I've always said the same thing as well. It amounts to exactly THAT.
colorful metaphors, analogies, and comparisons aside, that is what it amounts to. if you want to swim with the big fish, make sure you can tread in deep water.

Rayman70

Reaction score
colorful metaphors, analogies, and comparisons aside, that is what it amounts to. if you want to swim with the big fish, make sure you can tread in deep water.
great point. I think that's why we are seeing Vince McMahon go about things with the XFL the way he has. Measured, and making darn sure he has the finances in reserve long term to weather the NFL storm so to speak. Its been said he has the funds to keep the XFL running for 2 years. I say that's a good plan and one the AAF should have taken. I still think the XFL will fold in 3 years, but at least they will give it hell. Just because of who's running it, I give it a halfway decent chance to last 5 years,altho its unlikely.

cern

Reaction score
great point. I think that's why we are seeing Vince McMahon go about things with the XFL the way he has. Measured, and making darn sure he has the finances in reserve long term to weather the NFL storm so to speak. Its been said he has the funds to keep the XFL running for 2 years. I say that's a good plan and one the AAF should have taken. I still think the XFL will fold in 3 years, but at least they will give it hell. Just because of who's running it, I give it a halfway decent chance to last 5 years,altho its unlikely.
vince McMahon has made a fortune catering to buffoons and their love of buffoonery. this isn't the essence of the nfl or its fans. the nfl markets itself to a far more educated fan base. wwe and the xfl, not so much.

Rayman70

Reaction score
vince McMahon has made a fortune catering to buffoons and their love of buffoonery. this isn't the essence of the nfl or its fans. the nfl markets itself to a far more educated fan base. wwe and the xfl, not so much.
we agree on this. That's my fear, that Vince will make a mockery out of the sport itself. I'm not putting much faith in him at this point...not until I see it bear fruit for a couple years. Not holdin my breath.

cern

Reaction score
we agree on this. That's my fear, that Vince will make a mockery out of the sport itself. I'm not putting much faith in him at this point...not until I see it bear fruit for a couple years. Not holdin my breath.
his billions will not stand up to the collective billions of the NFL's billionaire's boys club.

Rayman70

Reaction score
his billions will not stand up to the collective billions of the NFL's billionaire's boys club.
yup its a failed undertaking and one I don't understand. Maybe its the glitz and glamor of the limelight...like a feather in his cap to look back and say he had tried to own a pro football league 2 separate times. Could be that simple I guess. Maybe its the journey and not the results he's after...

Etchyboy

Reaction score

I think part if not most of it is also is a concern of a dilution of their own product. If Football is year round will we get bored of it?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
This is a bummer. It's really hard to start a new football league. So many before have failed,including the WFL, the USFL, the WLAF, the XFL, and others.