AAF football operations will be suspended

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Started combing through some articles and maybe K Nick Rose could be brought in to challenge Maher.

I forgot about Nick Rose, think he's still perfect, hasn't missed a FG and I know he's nailed a couple in the 52-54yd range and had room to spare.

joseephuss

Reaction score
The NFL gets it's players from college football as their de-facto minor league system. Baseball has never been as reliant on finding their players from the college ranks as the NFL. They can get guys who never stepped foot on a college campus and put them in their long established minor league system. Minor league baseball has been around longer than the NFL. It took time and money to develop and started at a time when the financial investments weren't as steep as they are today.

Roster sizes for the NBA aren't comparable to the NFL. Fielding NBA developmental league teams is cheaper just based on the number of bodies required compared to the NFL.

It would be a nice bonus or luxury if the NFL had a developmental league or minor league, but it wouldn't be cheap. They have done pretty well without one for decades. Is it worth the investment to maybe gain a few players per roster? I don't really think it would dramatically improve how many Kurt Warner's are discovered.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
so many people think the stadium Revenue pays for the players salaries. I'm not even sure it covers the utility bills. I agree that is just not enough TV Revenue to go around

The AAF was also developing and testing new tech, that will be eventually used in sports and would have been worth a sizable chunk of dough. I think that's the primary reason Dundon bought into the league in the first place, he knew there would be a good payday.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah, I wanted some football during the offseason.

Most fans don't, even diehard fans want a break. There's too much football as it is during the NFL season with Sunday Night, Monday Night and Thursday Night games. Plus free agency starts before you know it and the draft is in April. Theses leagues are competing with the NFL and they simply can't compete. They're fielding castoffs who can't make it in the NFL. To have a good product you need quality players. This league will end up folding just like all the other new leagues before it and suspending play is the first step.

cern

Reaction score
How naive could they have been to think the nfl would come to their rescue. The nfl doesn't like competition.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Currently, the NFL is not allowed to sign any AAF players until after their playoffs complete.

If I was Dallas, I would be on the phone with the agents of the following players:

Jamar Summers CB Birmingham
Karter Schult DE Salt Lake City
Mekale McKay WR San Antonio
Rashad Ross WR Arizona
Tyson Graham S Atlanta
Max Redfield S Birmingham
max redfield would be my target off of this list if I am Dallas. Solid with good instincts. Kind of a throw back safety in that he actually covers well,then tackles.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
When will people learn these leagues won't ever last? It's inferior to say the least. The novelty wears off quick. XFL will go the same way. I tried to watch a game a few weeks ago and it was terrible. Got much more enjoyment from watching Texas high school football.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
How naive could they have been to think the nfl would come to their rescue. The nfl doesn't like competition.

Why should the NFL come to their rescue? It serves them no benefit.

Competition? Ummmm what lmao. This league is on after the NFL ends and is full of a bunch of scrub players. This is in no way competition.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Anyone saying no one from the AAF will be on an NFL roster this upcoming season haven't been watching. Summers is a corner that will be on a roster, Gardner is a running back that will be looked at (like an MJD clone), and Karter Schult was pretty much dominating every offensive lineman he went up against weekly.

These guys have talent and were above their competition. The problem with the AAF in season one is that it had a slow start due to no real training camp, so teams were out of sync, but teams were coming together and players were getting better. I'd imagine stuff like offensive line and QB play would have been a little better with a true full offseason.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No I didn't, not at all. At no point did I say there was "nothing in between." Not in any language. You're either trolling or can't read.

More like you can’t type. That was your exact quote I posted.

ShortRound

Reaction score
Most fans don't, even diehard fans want a break. There's too much football as it is during the NFL season with Sunday Night, Monday Night and Thursday Night games. Plus free agency starts before you know it and the draft is in April. Theses leagues are competing with the NFL and they simply can't compete. They're fielding castoffs who can't make it in the NFL. To have a good product you need quality players. This league will end up folding just like all the other new leagues before it and suspending play is the first step.

Yeah true, I found myself watching but without any history, didn't have alot of interest....

Would be nice if the NFL had a league for the summer tied to each franchise... but I'm sure that would never happen.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I was assuming it already was like a defacto B league for the NFL. That's a good idea actually. BETTER than NFL Europe.
Except NFL Europe the players were part of NFLPA. The guys in AAF are in essence free agents and the product showed especially the QBs. The NFLPA would not let players under contract with the NFL teams play in AAF so really it is not even a development league it is just a full size version of Arena football

Rayman70

Reaction score
Redfield will make an NFL roster too. He's a good safety prospect. Many of these guys will begin on special teams and begin to fill key roles on teams.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Trent Richardson has looked good with Birmingham. I bet he gets another bite at the NFL APPLE. Why not bring him here to Dallas as a back up? Reminds me of Marion Barber.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Trent Richardson has looked good with Birmingham. I bet he gets another bite at the NFL APPLE. Why not bring him here to Dallas as a back up? Reminds me of Marion Barber.
I have said the same. Low risk, possible reward which we have never been shy about taking.

He'd be what the team though Bo Scarbrough would be, a power back who could fill in for Zeke if needed. His issues were not criminal, and he seems like he was humbled by his failures.

jrumann59

Reaction score
he is strictly a RZ back in the AAF, his 11 TDs are the only thing eye catching his 2.9 avg against bottom of the barrel talent is even more telling

cern

Reaction score
Except they weren't competing against the NFL. Their season was during the NFL offseason.
There was a time the afl was little more than a burr under the NFL's saddle. But the little burr grew. Nfl won't repeat that mistake. Seasons are irrelevant. It's still football.