DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
qUqnwHy.gif

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I don’t get that thinking. You want to pay an aging Donald plus a load of picks but not pay young guys who are proven really good players
I never said anything about not paying younger players.

Maybe, just maybe, because Donald is an aging, but still outstanding player, he might want to play with some of our young stars for a couple years for a little bit less money!!

I am saying Jerry look into it. We need 1 more STRONG piece in the middle of our D. It does not have to be Donald, but a player close to his caliber. I mentioned Donald because he is an older player that may be willing to play for a little bit less for another Superbowl run.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We had a very good defensive draft: We picked up a big run stuffing DT, a LBer/Safety with speed and attitude and a DT/DE who should help at both positions.

We finally used Free Agency to pickup a true difference maker on defense: Gilmore is a smart and athletic, top 10 CB, who will solidify the corner spot opposite DIggs! HUGE upgrade over Brown!!

Aaron Donald, smack dab in the middle of our defense, with the other additions we have made on D, will enable OUR defense to leap frog the Forty Whiners defense and become THE DOMINANT D in the NFL. By DOMINANT, I mean less than 14 points a game.

A DOMINANT D will take so much pressure of Dak. He won’t be expected to throw the ball 40 times a game. Let the D and the running game do most of the heavy lifting. Dak can pick his spots.

Jerry, make this bold Charles Haley type move, and watch us steam roll the Whiners in the playoffs and KC in the Superbowl!!
26M for 2023 and age 32.

Only played 11 games in 2022 after only missing 2 games over the previous 7 seasons.
- i.e. Might be on the decline.

Haley was 27 when the Cowboys acquired him.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Probably right. Jerry stopped thinking big when Stephen stepped up.

Are you the type fan that would be mad if we picked up Donald because you would be wrong?
There are many so called fans like that on this site.
I have zero problems with Aaron Donald being added to the roster. I have zero problems both being wrong and stating publicly that I am wrong (which is a matter of record). Lastly, I am the type of observer who has watched Jerry Jones, closely, as a general manager, for 34 years and counting.

You and I may want a future Pro Football Hall of Fame caliber defensive tackle like Donald added to this defense. Here is a question for you:

Do you think that a general manager, who went 32 years between drafting Russell Maryland and Mazi Smith in the first round, would be proactive in acquiring a proven Super Bowl talent like Donald this season?

Me? I keep the 'what ifs?' to what I think Jones will do. Trust me. The philosophy whittles the infinite multiverses down to the single one that has always existed between his ears--regardless of his front office's input.

Motorola

Reaction score
We had a very good defensive draft: We picked up a big run stuffing DT, a LBer/Safety with speed and attitude and a DT/DE who should help at both positions.

We finally used Free Agency to pickup a true difference maker on defense: Gilmore is a smart and athletic, top 10 CB, who will solidify the corner spot opposite DIggs! HUGE upgrade over Brown!!

Aaron Donald, smack dab in the middle of our defense, with the other additions we have made on D, will enable OUR defense to leap frog the Forty Whiners defense and become THE DOMINANT D in the NFL. By DOMINANT, I mean less than 14 points a game.

A DOMINANT D will take so much pressure of Dak. He won’t be expected to throw the ball 40 times a game. Let the D and the running game do most of the heavy lifting. Dak can pick his spots.

Jerry, make this bold Charles Haley type move, and watch us steam roll the Whiners in the playoffs and KC in the Superbowl!!
$13.5 million salary, $8 million bonus, $4.5 restructure = $26 million cap hit; the numbers for his final contract year will equal $34 cap hit, or a $33.5 dead cap if Cowboys just want a one year rental for 2023.
And the Rams are going to want Dallas' 2024 and 2025 first round picks.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
26M for 2023 and age 32.

Only played 11 games in 2022 after only missing 2 games over the previous 7 seasons.
- i.e. Might be on the decline.

Haley was 27 when the Cowboys acquired him.
All these ?’s about Donald’s age etc. are why we should look into acquiring him. If we believe he can help us maybe due to his age etc. we can get him for 10-12 million a year.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
$13.5 million salary, $8 million bonus, $4.5 restructure = $26 million cap hit; the numbers for his final contract year will equal $34 cap hit, or a $33.5 dead cap if Cowboys just want a one year rental for 2023.
You don’t know what the Rams want for him.

rambo2

Reaction score

What if Donald was actually toast?

rambo2

Reaction score
I have zero problems with Aaron Donald being added to the roster. I have zero problems both being wrong and stating publicly that I am wrong (which is a matter of record). Lastly, I am the type of observer who has watched Jerry Jones, closely, as a general manager, for 34 years and counting.

You and I may want a future Pro Football Hall of Fame caliber defensive tackle like Donald added to this defense. Here is a question for you:

Do you think that a general manager, who went 32 years between drafting Russell Maryland and Mazi Smith in the first round, would be proactive in acquiring a proven Super Bowl talent like Donald this season?

Me? I keep the 'what ifs?' to what I think Jones will do. Trust me. The philosophy whittles the infinite multiverses down to the single one that has always existed between his ears--regardless of his front office's input.
You would have a huge problem if they gave up too much to get him and he was a bust.

conner01

Reaction score
You are clueless like most fans. You have no idea how much a truly dominant D helps the whole team, including Dak and the offense.

Our defense was good last year, but it was FAR from dominant. Even vs the Whiners. A dominant D would not have given up a 10 minute drive in the 3rd quarter, where the Whiners ran it down our throats. They also went thru our D like butter, to kick a FG at the end of the 1st half.

You must have missed the Superbowl just a couple years ago when Mahomes and KC got manhandled by a very good D, not even a dominant D!
A great D is great. The eagles had a pretty good D and lost to the chiefs
Winning is about scoring more points than you give up. That means you need to be good on both sides of the ball. We had a pretty good D last year and I think this years could easily be even better.

conner01

Reaction score
Rams not cutting AD and we are surly not trading for him.
They sure aren’t cutting him and soaking up 40 mil in dead money, and for the same reason they aren’t trading him. Why would you trade him now when you can’t replace him now?
If they were gonna trade him they’d done it before the draft

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I don’t get that thinking. You want to pay an aging Donald plus a load of picks but not pay young guys who are proven really good players
Let’s take AD out of the equation for just a second.

Our young really good players need help. Do we keep drafting and waiting to develop more talent, possibly missing the competitive window of our young players? Or do we take a risk and pull off a move that might put us over the top right now and possibly lose those young guys to FA?

If AD is not that guy, that’s fine. I’m not going to stand on the table and argue he is.

But I’m personally tired of the option 1 approach that hasn’t gotten us past the divisional round in decades.

Creeper

Reaction score
Nobody can scap up all the top players in the league. We don;t have Donald. We have to figure out a way to win it some other way. The Chiefs did, so it is possible. Maybe Mazi will be our dominant DT.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Teams win Super-bowls all the time by going out and signing the missing piece or two during the off season or even during the season( look at the Rams picking up OBJ ).

Again, never said this would be easy or that we can’t win the Superbowl without Donald. Donald would definitely make it easier in the short term though.

Also, what adult uses the word silly in that context.

I’m a casual fan? What are you a serious fan who wears his Cowboys gear to bed?
With the Cowboys it’s more like missing pieces than missing a piece. They’ve had issues stopping the run. Their QB has become inconsistent and they don’t run the ball consistently. The team has trouble staying motivated during the season and begins to fade by December. It’s not like if you add one player to this team, it’s going to lead to a championship.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Rams take a cap hit for trading him, only the salary will stay with him when he transfers to Dallas. Any cap hit for money already paid out (like restructures and bonuses) stay on LA’s ledger

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
No, it being a best out of 32 is what has been keeping us over the hump. It is not easy
Don’t have to win it all to get “over the hump”. The ceiling we keep bouncing off of is lower.

Four teams make it to the conference championship and we haven’t been one of them since the 90s.

Meaning, we haven’t been in the top 12% in close to 30 years.