CFZ Aaron Donald is the missing Piece!

Motorola

Reaction score
Rams take a cap hit for trading him, only the salary will stay with him when he transfers to Dallas. Any cap hit for money already paid out (like restructures and bonuses) stay on LA’s ledger
I keep forgetting that -thanks for the correction.
So...is a deal for Donald that 'Captain43Crash' is so passionately pining for... doable and worth it = bring home a 6th NFL title in 2023 (or a 7th in 2024), then suffer the cap consequences down the line?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I keep forgetting that -thanks for the correction.
So...is a deal for Donald that 'Captain43Crash' is so passionately pining for... doable and worth it = bring home a 6th NFL title in 2023 (or a 7th in 2024), then suffer the cap consequences down the line?
If you traded for him right now, you’d owe him 13.5m$ salary for 2023, and then if you cut him after this year youd only have 5m$ in dead money from a 2024 roster bonus.

Problem is if he’s on your contract the fifth league day of 2024, he has 35m$ in fully guaranteed money that kicks in just for that season. So if you wanted to keep him longer you’d have to come up with a new contract

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We had a very good defensive draft: We picked up a big run stuffing DT, a LBer/Safety with speed and attitude and a DT/DE who should help at both positions.

We finally used Free Agency to pickup a true difference maker on defense: Gilmore is a smart and athletic, top 10 CB, who will solidify the corner spot opposite DIggs! HUGE upgrade over Brown!!

Aaron Donald, smack dab in the middle of our defense, with the other additions we have made on D, will enable OUR defense to leap frog the Forty Whiners defense and become THE DOMINANT D in the NFL. By DOMINANT, I mean less than 14 points a game.

A DOMINANT D will take so much pressure of Dak. He won’t be expected to throw the ball 40 times a game. Let the D and the running game do most of the heavy lifting. Dak can pick his spots.

Jerry, make this bold Charles Haley type move, and watch us steam roll the Whiners in the playoffs and KC in the Superbowl!!
Yes let's win 1 for Dakko!!! :muttley:
P.S. Please have him take a MASSIVE discount on his paycheck so we may be able to get him a Mr. Donald-type player!!!

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Don’t have to win it all to get “over the hump”. The ceiling we keep bouncing off of is lower.

Four teams make it to the conference championship and we haven’t been one of them since the 90s.

Meaning, we haven’t been in the top 12% in close to 30 years.
the conference champions are losers

There is only one winner. It is better to be in last place than 2nd

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
We had a very good defensive draft: We picked up a big run stuffing DT, a LBer/Safety with speed and attitude and a DT/DE who should help at both positions.

We finally used Free Agency to pickup a true difference maker on defense: Gilmore is a smart and athletic, top 10 CB, who will solidify the corner spot opposite DIggs! HUGE upgrade over Brown!!

Aaron Donald, smack dab in the middle of our defense, with the other additions we have made on D, will enable OUR defense to leap frog the Forty Whiners defense and become THE DOMINANT D in the NFL. By DOMINANT, I mean less than 14 points a game.

A DOMINANT D will take so much pressure of Dak. He won’t be expected to throw the ball 40 times a game. Let the D and the running game do most of the heavy lifting. Dak can pick his spots.

Jerry, make this bold Charles Haley type move, and watch us steam roll the Whiners in the playoffs and KC in the Superbowl!!
LOL

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You would have a huge problem if they gave up too much to get him and he was a bust.
1. I do not own the team. Jones would have the problem you are talking about.
2. "Bust?" Dude. :facepalm:

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score

no. too old. not even close to what the Charles Haley move was for the Cowboys...different era and the team was more balanced and ready to move forward.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

Or, Dallas can find a real stud left guard and make a trade, then keep Tyler Smith at tackle and put Steele back to tackle, if he can actually play the position as he heals.

Then you can protect the QB and keep a cleaner pocket so Dak can step up to throw, and open huge holes for the RB's to run through.

With Cooks speed and experience, Cee Dee will now be able to find space and not be the only receiver who can catch a pass. Gallup should be heall;ed by now and that trio has the potenial to be great.

Dallas needs to be able to score. The defense is better today than against the 9ers. And they very well may be better than the Eagles.

Balance. Tough defense and a scoring offense is what wins it all. Not sure shipping first round picks for Donald is the path to success.

As far as the players whio will need to be paid in the future. That will work out then. I have no clue why people think beyond this season. This is not about you, Captain.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I never said anything about not paying younger players.

Maybe, just maybe, because Donald is an aging, but still outstanding player, he might want to play with some of our young stars for a couple years for a little bit less money!!

I am saying Jerry look into it. We need 1 more STRONG piece in the middle of our D. It does not have to be Donald, but a player close to his caliber. I mentioned Donald because he is an older player that may be willing to play for a little bit less for another Superbowl run.
not a bad idea, but your dreaming, jones boys would never make that move.

rambo2

Reaction score
1. I do not own the team. Jones would have the problem you are talking about.
2. "Bust?" Dude. :facepalm:
A decent chance that Donald isn't working as hard as he used to. He was thinking about retirement after the Super Bowl win.

Jarntt

Reaction score

There
are
no
words

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A decent chance that Donald isn't working as hard as he used to. He was thinking about retirement after the Super Bowl win.
So... Donald changing his mind about retirement... and re-dedicating himself for another season... makes him more of a bust? Less than a bust? Is there another hypothetical bust tangent to consider..?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
You would have a huge problem if they gave up too much to get him and he was a bust.
Aaron Donald a bust?

No guts no glory? Sometimes in football, as in life, you need to take a calculated risk. This is one of those times.

Donald is a risk well worth taking. I think he would love to play on our young talented D with Quinn running the show!

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I mean ....... yea ...... I would love to have Aaron Donald ........ I just do not think we could afford him on a one year rental without using the money we need to sign someone younger we want to keep.

Now if he wanted to come play for us for very little ........ that would be great ....... but after 28 years, I do not think the Cowboys have the mystique anymore to attract star players to play for nothing.