Aaron Donald retires

Kwyn

Reaction score
Greatness. Will be unanimous first ballot HOF.

Mark

Reaction score
Ha...what a joke. The Cowboys are going to need "replacement players" to field a team in '24.

They used to hold open tryouts for walk-ons. May need to revive that old tradition.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
He’s the most dominant interior DL I’ve seen.

Came across this site that applies scores to awards as a way to compare players across eras. Doesn’t amount to much but kind of fun to look at how players compare. D line list has Bob Lily, Merlin Olsen and Randy White ahead of Donald but never saw them play.

https://futurefootballlegends.com/PositionGroup/Defensive_Linemen/

Scoring system explanation

Legends Score​

The "Legends Score" is a simple measure of individual career accomplishments using the following point system, relatively weighted based on the award's exclusivity:

• 1 point per Pro Bowl Selection
  • 5 points per 1st Team All-Pro Selection
  • 3 points per 2nd Team All-Pro Selection
  • 15 points per 1st Team All-Decade Selection
  • 9 points per 2nd Team All-Decade Selection
  • 12 points per general All-Decade Selection (no 1st or 2nd Teams designated)
  • 9 points per regular season MVP
  • 8 points per Super Bowl MVP
  • 5 points for non-MVP Super Bowl Winning QBs
  • 1 point per AFL All-Star Team Selection
  • 15 points for AFL All-Time 1st Team
  • 9 points for AFL All-Time 2nd Team

Motorola

Reaction score
Seen better:Bob Lilly Merlin Olsen and Manster
I hate to say it but Mean Joe Greene as well
It's understandable us old-timers will put the NFL Legends we watched in our youth above outstanding players that come along decades and generations later.

However - we must acknowledge and fete the excellent careers that Aaron Donald - along with other current defensive greats - forged in this era of the NFL, where the game has been tilted for the offenses to unabashedly flourish and achieve success - while really handcuffing extraordinary defensive players == Exhbit A == Micah Parsons.

quickccc

Reaction score
Most dominant DTs (I've seen) in NFL ?

Aaron Donald
Chris Jones
Warren Sapp
Randy White
John Randle
La Roi Glover
Keith Millard
Ndamukong Suh
Shaun Rogers
Sorry never seen Bob Lilly ( but from what the old timers tell me.... :muttley: )

quickccc

Reaction score
Stunned to hear about his retirement.. one of the very few HOFers' to be that will go out on a high level.

1942willys

Reaction score
He’s the most dominant interior DL I’ve seen.

Came across this site that applies scores to awards as a way to compare players across eras. Doesn’t amount to much but kind of fun to look at how players compare. D line list has Bob Lily, Merlin Olsen and Randy White ahead of Donald but never saw them play.

https://futurefootballlegends.com/PositionGroup/Defensive_Linemen/

Scoring system explanation

Legends Score​

The "Legends Score" is a simple measure of individual career accomplishments using the following point system, relatively weighted based on the award's exclusivity:

• 1 point per Pro Bowl Selection
  • 5 points per 1st Team All-Pro Selection
  • 3 points per 2nd Team All-Pro Selection
  • 15 points per 1st Team All-Decade Selection
  • 9 points per 2nd Team All-Decade Selection
  • 12 points per general All-Decade Selection (no 1st or 2nd Teams designated)
  • 9 points per regular season MVP
  • 8 points per Super Bowl MVP
  • 5 points for non-MVP Super Bowl Winning QBs
  • 1 point per AFL All-Star Team Selection
  • 15 points for AFL All-Time 1st Team
  • 9 points for AFL All-Time 2nd Team
Looking at that list of all time DL I would rearrange it a little but overall not greatly
Those in love with pure stats such as sacks and so on must remember that the NFL didnot keep official numbers on a lot of things we look at today until after some of them (Olsen and Lilly for example) retired. Back then it was more a matter of what the players and coaches thought of a player that mattered. and even most of the sportswriters would go along with that

Motorola

Reaction score
Looking at that list of all time DL I would rearrange it a little but overall not greatly
Those in love with pure stats such as sacks and so on must remember that the NFL didnot keep official numbers on a lot of things we look at today until after some of them (Olsen and Lilly for example) retired. Back then it was more a matter of what the players and coaches thought of a player that mattered. and even most of the sportswriters would go along with that
The league did make sacks an official statistic until 1982, after many great defensive linemen's careers were over...add Olsen's Rams teammate Deacon Jones, along with Vikings Carl Eller and Alan Page - among others.