Aaron Donald vs Larry Allen in his prime?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Larry is arguably the best lineman of all time. If there weren't such a bias against lineman and in favor of skill players he might be a top 10 all time at any position. He was that dominant. He made other HoF'ers not want to play against him.

I remember the stories about Larry just punching guys in the stomach all game. Not a fun day at the office to be opposite Larry. Much like Erik Williams taping his arm and beating the dline with it all game.

Ha ha. The 90s were Good Times for Cowboys fans.

Az Lurker

The Lurker
Reaction score
Donald is an all time great, but Allen is the all time great. Donald would get the occasional pressure Larry would maul him just like he did everyone else. Old Larry Allen could still throw anyone around, but prime Allen had people faking injuries the game before to avoid him.

In some ways this is like asking if Jalen Ramsey could cover prime Jerry Rice.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Fun fact: Larry Allen is the most Pro Bowl'd Cowboys offensive player of all time (chosen to 10 Pro Bowls.)

phildadon86

Reaction score
Larry Allen in my favorite Cowboys player ever and I don't see how this is considered disrespect at all.

I'd go out on a limb and say more people would have Donald as the best DT ever before they'd have Allen the best G ever.

They are both all times greats and it's actually more respectful to be compared to each other. Because the talent on both sides is recognized.
I really think you are forgetting just how dominant Allen was brother. And how quick he was for his size. Remember him running down a CB? Honestly I think they would both win reps during a game but come the 4th quarter I think Donald is done.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Lol you post a video of one rep? Typical.

It is the make or break between on offensive and defensive lineman. He plays 58 snaps perfectly, then only gets beat once it twice and people will just see “1.5 sacks” and say Reggie abused him. Unfortunate reality.

Besides, it wasn’t just 1 rep, Larry said after the game he’s never been that humiliated for 60 minutes in his entire life; he said he learned a lot from it and it helped him improve

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I really think you are forgetting just how dominant Allen was brother. And how quick he was for his size. Remember him running down a CB? Honestly I think they would both win reps during a game but come the 4th quarter I think Donald is done.
I think people are underestimating just how good Donad is because he's still playing and doesn't play for the Cowboys, of course.

Donald, in just 8 years, is already more accomplished than Allen.

Then you add that asking this question on a Cowboys message board you were never going to get fair answers.

I mean, there are posters on this very thread that have literally said that in an all time draft they would take Staubach #1 overall. And you expect them to answer a question like this with some sense? lol

The fact of the matter is they are both all time greats and neither guy is going to get the best of the other. They both would have their moments.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I think people are underestimating just how good Donad is because he's still playing and doesn't play for the Cowboys, of course.

Donald, in just 8 years, is already more accomplished than Allen.

Then you add that asking this question on a Cowboys message board you were never going to get fair answers.

I mean, there are posters on this very thread that have literally said that in an all time draft they would take Staubach #1 overall. And you expect them to answer a question like this with some sense? lol

The fact of the matter is they are both all time greats and neither guy is going to get the best of the other. They both would have their moments.
That’s what I said? Lol. I think after 60 minutes Allen would win the matchup.

And in no way is Donald more accomplished than Allen. Dude you always bring up championships and now Donald with 1 is more accomplished than Allen? You’re literally discrediting your own argument. Like I said Donald is a beast and would definitely win some reps, I just think by the end of the game Allen comes out winning more.

Also. Staubach best ever? Over Brady? Lol no. I love captain America but come on

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score

And in no way is Donald more accomplished than Allen. Dude you always bring up championships and now Donald with 1 is more accomplished than Allen? You’re literally discrediting your own argument. Like I said Donald is a beast and would definitely win some reps, I just think by the end of the game Allen comes out winning more.

Also. Staubach best ever? Over Brady? Lol no. I love captain America but come on

Allen also only has 1

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
So then how is he more accomplished? They would be tied no? Lol.

unless my math is off.

It’s one thing to claim he’s putting too much weight in championships, it’s another thing entirely to say he has never argued any other statistic, achievement, or accolade differentiates players beyond championships. That is arguing in absolutisms.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

I'm not talking about team accomplishments. Both have 1 Super Bowl, so that's a wash.

Donald is a 3 time DPOY and and already has more All-Pro teams than Allen in 5 less years palyed. He's 100% more accomplished and will continue to separate himself even further.

I don't think at the end of the game you would be able to say Allen or Donald won anything against each other.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I'm not talking about team accomplishments. Both have 1 Super Bowl, so that's a wash.

Donald is a 3 time DPOY and and already has more All-Pro teams than Allen in 5 less years palyed. He's 100% more accomplished and will continue to separate himself even further.

I don't think at the end of the game you would be able to say Allen or Donald won anything against each other.
2 beasts going toe to toe would be epic to watch though lol. That would be amazing to see.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Right. I get everyone has their preference..but its insulting to Donald to say comparing him to Allen is disrespectful.....clearly must've never seen Donald play.
Is not disrespectful. It's just a testament as to how great Allen was in his prime. The nfl has never seen anybody like him. Have we seen players comparable to Donald? The answer is yes

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Donald Is too little. Period.

As others have stated. Listen to John Randle’s take (another Hall of Faner) about how strong and good Larry was.

75boyz

Reaction score
From a quickness perspective while shading Larry's inside shoulder, and exploding in his get off so as to out-quick Larry to the backfield there is a remote "maybe" chance for Donald.

Anything other than that, that has to do with Donald "trying" to go heads up with Larry is embarrassment for Donald. He would get picked up and choke slammed Undertaker style.

TheCritic

Reaction score
WHat's the point of this thread. It's dumb.
Understandable opinion if you're not into any kind of fantasy football. But outside of that, nothing wrong with speculating on what kind of incredible matchup that would be. Can't imagine either player totally dominating but still would have loved to have seen it.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Tough, tough question.......

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/...nU8nsQl-5e2EspuPOdpK1KydykNySvFNAwpUf4sJKsBJc

Mailbag: Aaron Donald vs. Larry Allen In His Prime?
Jul 08, 2022 at 09:00 AM

I love seeing some of the historic plays in Cowboys history you guys have been putting on the website, especially the one of Larry Allen's tackle to prevent the pick-six. I would love nothing more than to be able to see Allen in his prime go toe-to-toe with Aaron Donald of the Rams. Head-to-head, who do you think wins that battle? — RANDY CHILDS / NORTH GRAFTON, MA

Nick: Wow, that's a tough one. Especially tough because there's never a right answer there. Just like with any competition, they both would probably win at times in the game. But overall, I've got to go with Larry Allen, just because of his pure strength. Not saying Donald isn't strong and he's definitely quick, but Allen could certainly move for a big guy, too. I think Allen would be able to handle Donald most of the time, but it would be a fun matchup to watch.
I noticed a lot of the Ram's games where they would move Donaldson up and down the line trying to get him the best mismatch. Whereas, Allen never had that opportunity to find the weakest link!