Abandoning the Run

Chasing6

Reaction score
I think they know they not gong to run the ball. With the new receiver. We will be seeing a lot of five wide sets with quick passes. Essentially using the passing game to run the ball.
Run game needs to feed off our passing game.
We dont have an elite RB.

We went through this in 2015
I think they know they not gong to run the ball. With the new receiver. We will be seeing a lot of five wide sets with quick passes. Essentially using the passing game to run the ball.
Passing game needs to set up the run game. Our offense needs to pretend like we are down 10 at opening kick off.

kskboys

Reaction score
What I have seen is that Pollard is being used like Zeke was used - run him up the gut over and over and over. Pollard wasn't used like that last season and he was successful, so I don't understand the mindset of trying to turn him in a battering ram like Zeke.
We have no one else.

krs1bro

Reaction score
um....respectfully saying that there isn't any blocking at all on running plays. Spotty blocking at best on every play.

jay94

Reaction score
This is not the nineties, the benefit of the run is when your up 2 scores. No point paying a qb, if your emphasis is the run. Statistical analysis shows that passing the ball is more yards per attempt effective.

visionary

Reaction score
We started running the ball with Dowdle in the mix and ended up getting penalties and called back. It’s a back breaker on a drive when you start running for 5 to 10 yards a clip and getting confidence and then end up running a long one on 1st down and called back for a 1st and 20 knowing they are going to stack the line..

Why dont other teams have the same issue? There are run heavy teams like Ravens, SF, Philly who are doing great

This is all coaching and discipline and of course real RBs

visionary

Reaction score
This is not the nineties, the benefit of the run is when your up 2 scores. No point paying a qb, if your emphasis is the run. Statistical analysis shows that passing the ball is more yards per attempt effective.
Then teams that predominantly rely on the run game like Ravens and SF and Philly must be at the bottom of the league?

Might be a good idea to learn the game rather than parroting stats

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
This is a pass first offense, that's when the offense is most effective. Pass to set up the run, once they get a lead. Until then, pass first, still use lots of play action, and move the ball downfield.

No way do I trust this o-line to have a ground based mentality, this ain't the 3-yards-and-a-cloud of dust days, not to start a game.

Find a way to score early and often, THEN run the ball.

I'm fine with the balance. I'm most upset when McCarthy comes out on the first drive and calls 2 inside runs to start the game. :mad:

kskboys

Reaction score
Then teams that predominantly rely on the run game like Ravens and SF and Philly must be at the bottom of the league?

Might be a good idea to learn the game rather than parroting stats
All good QBs will tell you that you have to run the ball.

kskboys

Reaction score
And here's what you are missing: When you simply passpasspass, as you are suggesting, the opposing DLine can simply pin back their ears and go after the QB. Which leads to less time to throw, more sacks, more turnovers.

C'mooooon, dude, think.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Why dont other teams have the same issue? There are run heavy teams like Ravens, SF, Philly who are doing great

This is all coaching and discipline and of course real RBs
I think some of it is JJ is paying Pollard starting money and he wants him starting. Until he sees that running a hammer early works better then it’s gonna remain the same. If we ran Dowdle early up the middle we will get a few more yards early and a lot more yards later.