ABryant is dominating the Det secondary

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
EveryoneElse said:
I remember that. I don't know how true it is, but I remember Key taking the heat for 2 VT picks in a game last year. There has to be more to it tho. If not then I think it's very clear that BP will put up with it with key, but won't do the same with AB, which I beleive is wrong.

I love BP as a coach, but I've grown tired of seeing all his "guys" brought in who make the same mistakes that some of our young guys could be making and learning from.

Love the coach, can't understand the infatuation with old players that couldn't get it done for him(win the superbowl) when they were in their 20s. Go figure.
Every player makes mistakes. The two interceptions in one game that could have been on the receiver wasn't Key, it was Terry. Even "Football Scientist" K.C. Joyner, who claims to watch every play, couldn't tell if they were T cutting back too late on his routes or Vinny underthrowing him. Even tho Glenn and Testaverde got on the same page fast last year, there is always a time factor involved in synchronizing.

Key made mistakes last year as well. But that man is a freaking WARRIOR, played hurt much of the year, and his goofs were more pressing to do too much than anything else. If anyone has a problem with what Johnson did last year, they have the problem.

AB was absolutely terrible in 03. He consistently ran poor routes or gave up on them. He dropped ten passes against 39 receptions ..but Tuna looked at it as a learning curve. The idea it takes three years for receivers to get savvy is probably a decent rule of thumb. It wasn't like Bill refused to play AB because he made mistakes. What it was was he had two more accomplished receivers.

Once again I want to point out that the week AB got traded, he, Terry and Key all had 24 or 25 receptions, and were in a few scant yards of each other. Does that indicate a refusal to play the man? And this was after he flat out sucked in 03. When Bill said the ball was going to get shared, he meant it. When he said the concept of first, second, and third receiver was blurred, it was true.

Did you hear Key or T complaining they weren't getting thrown to more than AB? Of course not. There was a real three way share.

But then AB BLEW IT and refused to come off the field in a game. The future contract must have been weighing really heavy on his mind that day. Better to take a 12 man on field penalty, I suppose.

That colossol bit of selfishness met the proverbial straw test.

But it is absolutely untrue that Bill either refused to play AB or made him suffer for his mistakes in any cruel or unusual way. Bill had two better receivers than AB, and whatever potential AB might have does not outweigh that fact.

Ironically, AB threw his ultimate selfish fit just as Glenn was about to get injured the next week.

Had he just been a man and thought about the TEAM, he would have had the chance to win that second spot with his play the last ten games of 2004. He could have forced Terry to third, and that is where Bill would have played him, 'favorite" or not. He wants to 'rest' Glenn anyway, and Bill proved his rules apply to everyone when in 03 Terry missed a practice mid week because of bursitis and Bill started AB the following week. Neither T nor Key are absolved from 'the rules'.

AB was so disliked in the locker room that Eatman and Eagelton said the players rolled their eyes whenever he opened his mouth. And those two don't gossip. What Dale has added today only reinforces what we already surmised.

The player might be talented, but he isn't an elite receiver, and never will be. he is too limited. Plays smaller than his size, imo, and hs a limited route repertoire. I don't think he distinguished himself as a fast learner either. But it doesn't matter if he was Jerry Rice in his prime. His attitude was detrimental to the team.

He was not a team player....Bill overlooked the greatest sign of disrespect I think he ever encountered as a HC..the jersey incident.. and still gave him another chance.

But AB's stats and future contract were apparently all he could think about.

What a loser in every sense of the word.

Hope he's learned something.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Every player makes mistakes. The two interceptions in one game that could have been on the receiver wasn't Key, it was Terry. Even "Football Scientist" K.C. Joyner, who claims to watch every play, couldn't tell if they were T cutting back too late on his routes or Vinny underthrowing him. Even tho Glenn and Testaverde got on the same page fast last year, there is always a time factor involved in synchronizing.

Key made mistakes last year as well. But that man is a freaking WARRIOR, played hurt much of the year, and his goofs were more pressing to do too much than anything else. If anyone has a problem with what Johnson did last year, they have the problem.

AB was absolutely terrible in 03. He consistently ran poor routes or gave up on them. He dropped ten passes against 39 receptions ..but Tuna looked at it as a learning curve. The idea it takes three years for receivers to get savvy is probably a decent rule of thumb. It wasn't like Bill refused to play AB because he made mistakes. What it was was he had two more accomplished receivers.

Once again I want to point out that the week AB got traded, he, Terry and Key all had 24 or 25 receptions, and were in a few scant yards of each other. Does that indicate a refusal to play the man? And this was after he flat out sucked in 03. When Bill said the ball was going to get shared, he meant it. When he said the concept of first, second, and third receiver was blurred, it was true.

Did you hear Key or T complaining they weren't getting thrown to more than AB? Of course not. There was a real three way share.

But then AB BLEW IT and refused to come off the field in a game. The future contract must have been weighing really heavy on his mind that day. Better to take a 12 man on field penalty, I suppose.

But it is absolutely untrue that Bill either refused to play AB or made him suffer for his mistakes in any cruel or unusual way. Bill had two better receivers than AB, and whatever potential AB might have does not outweigh that fact.

Ironically, AB threw his ultimate selfish fit just as Glenn was about to get injured the next week.

Had he just been a man and thought about the TEAM, he would have had the chance to win that second spot with his play the last ten games of 2004. He could have forced Terry to third, and that is where Bill would have played him, 'favorite" or not. He wants to 'rest' Glenn anyway, and Bill proved his rules apply to everyone when in 03 Terry missed a practice mid week because of bursitis and Bill started AB the following week. Neither T nor Key are absolved from 'the rules'.

AB was so disliked in the locker room that Eatman and Eagelton said the players rolled their eyes whenever he opened his mouth. And those two don't gossip. What Dale has added today only reinforces what we already surmised.

The player might be talented, but he isn't an elite receiver, and never will be. he is too limited. Plays smaller than his size, imo, and hs a limited route repertoire. I don't think he distinguished himself as a fast learner either. But it doesn't matter if he was Jerry Rice in his prime. His attitude was detrimental to the team.

He was not a team player....Bill overlooked the greatest sign of disrespect I think he ever encountered as a HC..the jersey incident.. and still gave him another chance.

Pretty fair post. There is always more to a story. On both sides. AB is getting another chance. Hopefully he makes the most of it.

He isn't the player Edwards is IMO. I saw some film on that guy and was very impressed but discounted it some since he was playing college. My mistake. He probably was the best player in that draft. Again IMO.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

I don't have a problem with any of this post. Just restating the obvious. AB is a headcase. Doesn't take away from the fact that he has a lot of skill. If, and thats a big if, but if he ever can control his temper and learn to put the team above himself, theres no doubt in my mind that he can be a better WR than Glenn and Keyshawn ever were. It's not like either leads the NFL in yards, catches, and TDs every year. They have remained consistent when playing a full season and thats hard to come by. So I'm not discounting what they mean or have meant to any team they've played for.

And the Two INT thing was Keyshawn. It may have happened with Glenn too, but Keyshawn came out and said publicly in a post game interveiw if I remember right that two of Vinny's ints in a game last year were on him. Unless he was just trying to take heat off Vinny.

Does anyone have a link to Key's comments?

ndanger

Reaction score
Dang man all our castaways are playin' like pro bowlers.Danged o pre-season :D

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
EveryoneElse said:
I don't have a problem with any of this post. Just restating the obvious. AB is a headcase. Doesn't take away from the fact that he has a lot of skill. If, and thats a big if, but if he ever can control his temper and learn to put the team above himself, theres no doubt in my mind that he can be a better WR than Glenn and Keyshawn ever were. It's not like either leads the NFL in yards, catches, and TDs every year. They have remained consistent when playing a full season and thats hard to come by. So I'm not discounting what they mean or have meant to any team they've played for.

And the Two INT thing was Keyshawn. It may have happened with Glenn too, but Keyshawn came out and said publicly in a post game interveiw if I remember right that two of Vinny's ints in a game last year were on him. Unless he was just trying to take heat off Vinny.

Does anyone have a link to Key's comments?

I believe you..no need to find links.

There were enough picks thrown last year for two two-a-games.

It is hard to compare Key, Glenn and AB..they are three very different types of receivers. One is the ultimate possession receiver who can still surprise you at times downfield, who loves blocking and contact. Another is a speedster with great hands, phenomenal agility, and top route running skill. And one has seemingly the potential to be a very good all around player.

They are all limited, tho. Key in speed, Terry in size, and AB is lacking in exceptionality. He has no special talent, imo. Not exceptional hands, speed, toughness, nor route running, or agility, or quickness. He could end up a Pro Bowler..but at this talent laden NFL position, I doubt it.

We won't know the final story on AB for another decade or more. If he ends up with Key's stats or Glenn's highlight reels, tho, I will be surprised. But those two were former top ten picks, Key a number one. They were special -AB was not.

Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Boldin, Clayton, Williams, now Edwards... there are so MANY mega talented young receiver that AB's name does not belong with. I suspect he will be a pretty solid #2, a complementary receiver who earns his keep. But elite, nope. Glenn and Johnson were elite in their primes...AB will never be. And I suspect Patrick Crayton has as much potential...and he's a guy you can root for whole heartedly.

AB was drafted in a down time in Dallas history, so he took on more attention than he would have on a talent packed roster. But talent wise, I'd rate him under tougher guys like Coles and way way under more complete receivers like AJ.

He's a 'good' talent..nothing more, imo. Alongside Edwards, that will soon become clear.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Tuna, AB was an elite reciever in college. To simply discount his talent because he was a 2nd rounder is silly.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
People really seem to miss the boat on this one.

It does not matter how well Bryant plays. Bryaants actions were tantamount to you or I going into our bosses office and slinging the things on his desk across the room and screaming at him.

Boys and girls that gets people fired.

Landry would have handed him his walking papers that day. Jimmy would have embarrassed him in front of the team before sending him packing. OTOH, people villify PArcells for actually getting something in return for him.

How well Bryant does is immaterial because in the end either Parcells or Bryant was going to have to go. I personally am happy to see Bill still sporting the blue.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Tio said:
Tuna, AB was an elite reciever in college. To simply discount his talent because he was a 2nd rounder is silly.
I am not discounting his college career. Like Glenn, he won the Bilitnikoff.

In fact, I liked him a lot at Pitts.

But many elite college receivers do not transition to elite NFL receivers, regardless of where they are drafted.

Peter Warrick, anyone?

AB has not made that transition, and a TD in a preseason game today hardly indicates he has.

Were he anything like elite, Cleveland would have used that pick on a position other than receiver. It's not like they don't have holes.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins said:
People really seem to miss the boat on this one.

It does not matter how well Bryant plays. Bryaants actions were tantamount to you or I going into our bosses office and slinging the things on his desk across the room and screaming at him.

Boys and girls that gets people fired.

Landry would have handed him his walking papers that day. Jimmy would have embarrassed him in front of the team before sending him packing. OTOH, people vilify PArcells for actually getting something in return for him.

How well Bryant does is immaterial because in the end either Parcells or Bryant was going to have to go. I personally am happy to see Bill still sporting the blue.

Ok getting Morgan for him was a wasted trade; when he could have had draft picks (that was the info that came out). The reason stated for going with Morgan over the picks was lack of vet depth at wr after Glenn's injury.

I did not want the trade to go down but if he was still causing problems then Bill did what he had to and move on. Most people have not moved on like the Jimmy Smith;Moss or the Shante Carver draft pick. I have moved on and if Bryant plays great I see it as a good thing that means the scouts had the talent part right he just had a 10cent head when he wore the star on his helmet.

I never vilified Parcells over this trade or cutting Ross. I said it then I will say it again if Bryant had to go;he had to go. I just hated the guy we got in return when it happened; I wanted Bill to take the draft picks :mad: and go with all the young wr we had on the roster last year.

So hey lets move on much like the we should on the stupid Ellis vs Moss debate

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Kangaroo said:
Ok getting Morgan for him was a wasted trade; when he could have had draft picks (that was the info that came out). The reason stated for going with Morgan over the picks was lack of vet depth at wr after Glenn's injury.

More revisionism.

That trade was made BEFORE Glenn's injury. And I never heard picks were an option.

Two teams unloading their malcontents...that's all it was.

So far it LOOKS like they got the better of the deal, but that we got anything for AB after his last flare up is amazing.

We can revisit this again in January. :rolleyes:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
You know, Herms, people seem to forget that Sunday night game in New England a couple of years ago. Galloway was hurt and Belichick's plan was to take away Glenn. They put Law and usually another guy on Terry and did take him out of the game, as can be done to any player. Did the great AB step up and take advantage of the opportunity? Nope. All I remember from that game are a few dropped passes and a completely ineffective passing game.

And that was replacing the much-villified Joey Galloway... Ouch.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
You know, Herms, people seem to forget that Sunday night game in New England a couple of years ago. Galloway was hurt and Belichick's plan was to take away Glenn. They put Law and usually another guy on Terry and did take him out of the game, as can be done to any player. Did the great AB step up and take advantage of the opportunity? Nope. All I remember from that game are a few dropped passes and a completely ineffective passing game.

And that was replacing the much-villified Joey Galloway... Ouch.
I don't forget that one.....I bring it up every time Galloway is mentioned, LOL.

How he chose not to play when Tuna said it wasn't a 'serious' injury.

You gotta know that game was particularly big to Tuna...and they ALL let him down.

Terry "the Uncoverable" Glenn for not shaking Ty law off his neck, and Poole's rolling coverage. That he was the only offensive player Mumbles had to bother keying was no excuse. And I for one won't hang anything on Q that night. I've seen much worse performances from Pennington and Manning in NE.

AB for totally disappearing when he was single teamed, except to exhibit another case of the dropsies.

And Joey for his passive-aggressive refusal to get with Tuna's program.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Owne4981 said:
I wished we kept Bryant instead of trading for that bum Quincy Morgan.
I will never understand this position. He HAD to go. Period.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Ummm preseason???

I am curious.

Did he DOMINATE Dre Bly and Fernando Bryant?

Or did he dominate Kevin Smith, Andre Goodman and R.W. McQuarters.

I did not see the game.

I would also be intrigued if any of these posters who are claiming we made a mistake did as well.

If so, please provide details.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Ummm preseason???
Even tho Pete Rozelle would turn over in his grave, I wish they'd go back to calling 'preseason games', 'exhibition games'.