AdamJT13 v. The Horde

Craig

Reaction score
While I agree you don't win consistently without a good passing game, there are so many stats of teams that are winning when their running back gets over 100 yards. While the running game may not be winning those games, the threat of a running game makes the passing game easier and thus would be a correlation. They don't have to get 100 yards in a game to have an effect either. The threat just has to be there. I am not sure that can be measured. If a defense has to put 8 in the box to stop the running game, everyone knows the passing game got much simpler and the QB reads got easier as well.

Teams that are winning run the ball so the clock doesnt stop.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
QBs still do run the league; look at who made the playoffs last year; outside of backups in AFC who limped their teams in. The year we made it with the running game; Romo had insane efficiency on 3rd down to allow drives to continue.
http://www.footballperspective.com/which-passers-were-most-effective-on-third-down-in-in-2014/

This is always ignored when the get back to what we did in 2014 crowd defends the Zeke pick.

Drafting Zeke is like buying a new F150 when my old one did the job and the roof on my house has leaks.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Adam is right.

I always enjoy the "Adam you're wrong" posters.

Adam brings the hardwood in the way of stats.

The "Adam you're wrong" posters will counter with 1,000 word posts that include a lot of football cliché's but no hard data. And of course they'll use terms that can't be quantified...

And then they'll say, "See I've proved my point!"

Ken

Reaction score
Zeke has EVERYTHING to do with Romo's health. He can keep Romo's pass attempts to under 30 a game by FINISHING runs. He can pass protect like he did in college. He can reduce the number of offensive snaps for everybody with his home run ability.

You can not possibly be serious with that weak crap.

Not to mention being a threat to either run the ball or in the passing game means they have to account for him. Makes a difference when deciding to blitz Romo because a little dump off could kill you.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I suspect the response to this will be that Carolina did not succeed because if their offensive run game nor their offensive pass game, but rather their defensiveness effectiveness vs. the pass. In that respect they may not be a good counterexample to the argument that differential in the passing game is what bears most on winning.

Defense is defense and their job is too stop the opposition, those who can't stop the run will not will not win a lot. Both Denver and Carolina were top 5 on defense in stopping the run. Defensive coaches will say it is important to stop the run in doing so you put the offense in a position of having to pass making it much easier to defend the pass. I agree with those who think the passing game is important, it is what I disagree with is when they claim running has no bearing on winning. I think anytime an offense is able to be balanced in their attack they make it much harder on the defense. For some teams who do throw a lot you will see RB's being a big part of that but coaches like Bill Walsh once said in his west coast offense the swing passes out to the back he considered and extention of the running game. After all what is the difference between a pitch out or a swing pass? one is over handed and called a pass the other underhand and called a run.

Heck Dallas was ranked 5th in passing yards allowed and gave up 19 TD passes which was the same total Denver gave up on the other side Dallas defense vs the run we were towards the bottom of the league and gave up the 4th most TD vs the run

erod

Reaction score
Not to mention being a threat to either run the ball or in the passing game means they have to account for him. Makes a difference when deciding to blitz Romo because a little dump off could kill you.

Yep, especially when that dump off is a threat to go 80.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Adam is right.

I always enjoy the "Adam you're wrong" posters.

Adam brings the hardwood in the way of stats.

The "Adam you're wrong" posters will counter with 1,000 word posts that include a lot of football cliché's but no hard data. And of course they'll use terms that can't be quantified...

And then they'll say, "See I've proved my point!"

you just don't read the 1000 words and keep parrotting the same old Adam cheerleading post

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
A definite top 3 rb.

But really its time to just give in. Not a lot to dislike about elliott, the biggest thing being his horrid decision making skills with regards to attire at the draft. I think the wrong choice was made at pick 4 but i think they got a good player. They should not need to address the rb position for 4 years now.

A whole 4 years....

erod

Reaction score
Defense is defense and their job is too stop the opposition, those who can't stop the run will not will not win a lot. Both Denver and Carolina were top 5 on defense in stopping the run. Defensive coaches will say it is important to stop the run in doing so you put the offense in a position of having to pass making it much easier to defend the pass. I agree with those who think the passing game is important, it is what I disagree with is when they claim running has no bearing on winning. I think anytime an offense is able to be balanced in their attack they make it much harder on the defense. For some teams who do throw a lot you will see RB's being a big part of that but coaches like Bill Walsh once said in his west coast offense the swing passes out to the back he considered and extention of the running game. After all what is the difference between a pitch out or a swing pass? one is over handed and called a pass the other underhand and called a run.

Heck Dallas was ranked 5th in passing yards allowed and gave up 19 TD passes which was the same total Denver gave up on the other side Dallas defense vs the run we were towards the bottom of the league and gave up the 4th most TD vs the run

Defenses want to (1st) stop the run, (2nd) force teams to pass, and (3rd) kill the opposing quarterback.

erod

Reaction score
A whole 4 years....

7 years.

Four years, plus a fifth-year option, followed by the franchise tag, followed by another franchise tag.

If he proves elite as hoped, Dallas will give him a second contract at 25 years old anyway. He's not the type to take big shots, so he has a chance to stay healthy like Emmitt did.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Defenses want to (1st) stop the run, (2nd) force teams to pass, and (3rd) kill the opposing quarterback.

For the most part true. I have listened to many defensive coaches say if you can't stop the run you are in real trouble. If you are having to use more players to stop the run you make is a lot easier even for poor passing teams to have a good day against you.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Peyton was 13th? Wilson had a D so talented that it allowed the run heavy structure to be an anomaly; similar to the Ravens in 2000. Denver had a great D this year and below average QB play from Peyton but adequate play from Osweiler to get them to the playoffs. SEA also had bad poor QB play and Denver's D proved to be better. We don't have those defenses...

It's not for hoe many yards you pass.... People keep forgetting that the correlation with winning isn't how well you pass. The end. It I'd pass effective differential.

Wilson that year didn't throw a lot and was efficient. That defense murdered your passing game making the opponent not efficient. The differential was large and Seattle's favor hence them winning it all.

reddyuta

Reaction score
These arguments are always interesting to me. So when Romo was passing us to playoff glory but couldn't get us to the next round, it was because he didn't have backfield help or defensive help.

But now that we get backfield help, it's that we're not going anywhere without Romo?

Or is it we need Romo as much as Romo needs a running game and a defense?

You can win with a great running game and a subpar Qb play but you need a great Defense for that,we might have the worst D in the NFC east this year.Teams know how to stop us ,they will load the box and force Romo to make critical third down throws,it all comes down to that as always.EE is not a Savior as many have been claiming,if Romo plays like 2014 then Zeke will take us far.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you will just ignore it

No I won't.

Bring some data that supports your position... Nothing more, nothing less.

It's not that complicated.

If you can't, simply acknowledge that you've been schooled and walk away enlightened. :)

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
while I think the answer is somewhere in the middle I am excited Zeke is here. He will help this offense and in turn help this team. If Romo is in 3rd and short instead of 3rd and 10 the sky is the limit for this offense. For the first time since Romo has been here I think we have the perfect mix on offense. We have three good backs, a very good group of wr and a good group of tight ends who get to play with a very good line. I wish romo was 28 but he isn't and that is ok.

Hopefully the running game will control the tempo and the passing game will produce the points. We have all the parts.

Jeremy Mincey said it right out in 2014 when he was mic'd up vs the bears.