Admit It Deep Inside. You're Glad That The Romo-Witten-Dez Era is Over

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Being a Witten fan (grew up in the same town) I am glad he retired rather than being traded or cut. I’ll make a prediction, the Cowboys will never have another tight end and as good as Witten was
Greatest blocking TE of all time and 4th all time in receptions. You're going out on a limb with that prediction ;)

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Same coaching staff, so no. Dak, Zeke, whoever could be just as good and it won't matter.

The only way we can win with Garrett is if the defense is great because the offense can beat up on bad and mediocre defense but is too predictable to beat top defenses.
You are so right. Man, I wish this team was built around it’s D. Great D, almost always beats great O. Look at the unbeatable NE Patriots with Brady and Moss dominating the NFL, UNTIL they ran into a scrappy pass rushing Giants D. Also, as good as our Offense was that year there is NO WAY our D would have stopped the Patriots. Jerry start emphasizing the D. Remember we never won a Superbowl in the 90’s until we got the difference maker, Charles Haley. Jerry forget the friggining Show, and emphasize the D!!!

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Outlier..................let see if Garrett can do it again............I'm leaning towards no, but we shall see.
I do not understand the lack of confidence in Jason during the regular season. Especially since 2014. When everything is in place and there are no extreme circumstances he's been exceptional. My only doubt about Jason is in the postseason. I have always liked his leadership style but if that style is not reaching his players during the post season I think you have to make a move.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No. I'm not glad the Romo-Witten-Dez era is over. But I'm not crying either. I think if we had a competent coaching staff, this team would have made the Super Bowl.
But I'm done with getting my hopes up high. With the ascension of the Eagles to the Super Bowl, I've had about enough of the 20-plus years of ineptitude with this franchise.
I'm wanting them to prove me wrong, but I've been holding my breath too long.
We'll just tease a little bit, maybe win the division and win a playoff game, but it'll be more of the same.
Hopes springs eternal, new training camp brings excitement, win a few games, talks starts about a Super Bowl run, pundits predict we're Super Bowl bound, Skip rejoices, Kool-Aid drinkers toast, Cowboys crash, depression sets in, Stephen A laughs.
Wash, rinse, repeat. :(

plymkr

Reaction score
Hear me out...I said the era not the players. I totally blame the lack of playoff success on the FO and bad coaching Not the players. But we didn't win a thing. Now with new players a new energy and focus., Garrett and the coaching staff should be on notice, win or get out. Plus I enjoy watching a young team mature and grow into winners. To many times Dallas has taken a punch and laid down. I'm excited to see what this team can do when adversity hits.
I'll agree it's hopeful to have youth on the team but that's about it. I'm having a hard time going from the Romo/Bryant/Witten era to the Prescott/Hurns/Swaim era.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
It is not even deep down for me. I have been openly for getting rid of all 3 a few years ago. So excited this team has a breath of fresh air with those 3 now gone. That trio netted us one single playoff win. Romo and Witten were apart of another playoff win the year before Dez arrived. But it became very stale. And since we have a new QB, it was for the best Witten and Dez went on their way.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Hear me out...I said the era not the players. I totally blame the lack of playoff success on the FO and bad coaching Not the players. But we didn't win a thing. Now with new players a new energy and focus., Garrett and the coaching staff should be on notice, win or get out. Plus I enjoy watching a young team mature and grow into winners. To many times Dallas has taken a punch and laid down. I'm excited to see what this team can do when adversity hits.

Too many times the punches thrown were thrown at the defense with no punch back. It was the defense that laid down too often, as they did again last year against Green Bay and Seattle. Bottom 5 in Def. Pass Rating for 7 consecutive years and perennial bottom ten total defense. Eli rode two SB wins on two historic defensive runs, that should tell you all you need to know.

The offense was more than good enough to win during those years.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Admit it? I been waiting a long time for it to be over. Also been waiting for Jerry to slow down/do less from old age and it seems that is happening. There's a chance for good things to happen now. Will see how it all works out.
Let's get back to a Jimmy Era-Win Super Bowls.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

I will truly miss Witten. Dez, to me, was a major disappointment. Romo lost me in 2007. Good QB just never had IT.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
That's not the OPs point Zordon. The players were of course beloved by the franchise and fans alike.

We just never made it over the hump with them. One promising year after another we went down in flames.

So as much as they will be missed maybe some other formula will bring success???

I understand your thought process though I dont neccessarily believe the intent is to blame Romo, Dez and Witten.
Zordon is right.

Fans on this site continuosly blame the players for us not winning anything, but its directly the front office’s fault. Look at how people on this site all offseason ragged on Dez. Had we won in 2014, he would get a lot more love around here.

CWR

Reaction score
Zordon is right.

Fans on this site continuosly blame the players for us not winning anything, but its directly the front office’s fault. Look at how people on this site all offseason ragged on Dez. Had we won in 2014, he would get a lot more love around here.

I get your point steamin willie. Anyone ragging on those guys is riddiculous. I dont think that was the OPs intent. The point was it was time for a change. That core never got over the hump. Alot of that was on ownership for not giving them the team to do so. However, there were years the team was good enough and we just didnt get it done.

As the years went on the pressure seemed to increase. We all knew father time was creeping into the picture.

Now we start over with a new core and imo a better all around team. Hopefully these guys put it together.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
I believe there is now a sense of urgency to win ball games, we have all the pieces in uniform, it's up to the coaching staff to utilize them correctly.
I just hope the coach and OC knows how to run these young guys, to hell with the "old school" style of plays.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I don’t care Romo should have been given his last chance in 2016 when he was healthy. I’ll never know what could’ve been. But there’s no way we would’ve lost to GB with Romo. It’s no use in arguing can’t turn back time.

I’m not blaming Dak but I do blame Garrett for all of this. The thing that sickens me is you could’ve kept Romo and Dak no problem with no cap implications. Garrett is a sick man.
We know what would have been. Romo has shown us already. Stop dreaming like Romo would have turned into Brady for 1 game. Dak played better than Romo did in any playoff game. Romo never threw for 300 yards in a playoff game. Sorry. The Refs totally blew that game as well so unless romo was wearing stripes or lined up at safety instead of byron jones, nothing changes. Give it a rest he was an undrafted free agent that had a good nfl career but was never elite and was never good enough to get us to a superbowl. Lets hope Dak can. And more so I hope that as a team we figure it out before another 10 years goes by.

Big D

Reaction score
We lost to GB two years earlier in nearly EXACTLY the same way when Romo was younger. So that theory of yours about Romo winning is completely blown out the window. And neither loss was about Romo or Dak. It was about the head coach blowing it.

I think it was about a weak defensive team unable to get a stop when needed. If Romo, Witten, and Dez also played defense we'd have 3-4 Lombardis in their era.

dfense

Reaction score
:facepalm: Lordy