Adrian Peterson is a no brainer

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Mike Zimmer has said that he understands if Adrian Peterson wants out of Minnesota. The understanding is if he asked to be trade or released, he will get his wish.

I think we would be foolish not to go after Peterson. I think he would have had 2600 yards behind this offensive line this year. A bit of hyperbole, but some truth to it. I think we saw that Murray lacks burst, and can hit the hole with explosiveness. I think many 7 yard runs could have been 60, 70 yard runs for TDs with faster running backs, as we saw with Randle a few times.

I think DeMarco Murray is a fine all round back, but he isn't the runner Adrian Peterson is. I think he adds a dimension we lack on offense.

The real question to me is less regarding Peterson's availability, but rather how much would it cost to sign him. I think I would go as high as a 3 year 18-20 million dollar contract. If Peterson wants to go home and play in Dallas, I think it makes sense for all parties concerned.

Do most running backs slow down at 30? Yes. They do, but I don't think most running backs have the physical stature of Peterson. I think we could get a year or two out of him with no problem. We also have some running backs we can throw into a rotation.

Are there limitations and draw backs in having him? Absolutely, but I haven't heard a legitimate counter to suggest that the pros don't outweigh the cons.

If he is available, and he almost certainly will be, and he doesn't want all word type of money (that is the real question), we should sign him in a heartbeat.

I'd love to see what Linehan could do with Peterson, though also would like to mention, I'm wondering what the deal is with Dunbar and why he wasn't more involved.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I personally am not with just a 1 or 2 year rental of a 30 year old running back. I'd like for whoever our running back to be someone who will be here for a few years.

I think its also silly to assume that AP will be the same back he was prior to this past shortened season.

So then for me it comes down to how much. I think people are underrating how much he will make next season. I see no reason why a team wouldn't offer him a 3 year 20 million dollar deal or something along those lines. If he's willing to take a 2 year deal at 6 million or something along those lines sign me up.

But this offense doesn't need a 2000 yard rusher. It would be nice but this team needs someone who can wear down a defense, pass block and hold on to the football. I think that can be had for a much cheaper price than what Peterson or even Demarco will command.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I personally am not with just a 1 or 2 year rental of a 30 year old running back. I'd like for whoever our running back to be someone who will be here for a few years.

I think its also silly to assume that AP will be the same back he was prior to this past shortened season.

So then for me it comes down to how much. I think people are underrating how much he will make next season. I see no reason why a team wouldn't offer him a 3 year 20 million dollar deal or something along those lines. If he's willing to take a 2 year deal at 6 million or something along those lines sign me up.

But this offense doesn't need a 2000 yard rusher. It would be nice but this team needs someone who can wear down a defense, pass block and hold on to the football. I think that can be had for a much cheaper price than what Peterson or even Demarco will command.

Again, I don't think you've familiar enough with the game.

It is unwise to commit to a running back for more than 4 or so years, simply because they don't last long. It's one thing to draft one, but to sign a guy for 4+ years? Makes no sense.

No reason to think AP has lost a step at all.

This offense needs whatever it can get.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Again, I don't think you've familiar enough with the game.

It is unwise to commit to a running back for more than 4 or so years, simply because they don't last long. It's one thing to draft one, but to sign a guy for 4+ years? Makes no sense.

No reason to think AP has lost a step at all.

This offense needs whatever it can get.

I'm not really sure what the disconnect is with my posts and you but for some reason you seem to not be comprehending what i'm saying. Which is not a insult maybe its my fault. But where on earth did I say sign a guy 4+ years?

You talk about backs not lasting long and a few sentences later talk about AP not losing a step at 30 years old lol.

And I'm VERY familiar with the game. I know what happens when a athlete...one even as physically gifted as AP misses a year of football. He can either come back refreshed or he can come back like Rolando McClain has and suffer various injuries throughout the season. And then what? What happens when you invest big money into AP and he gets hurt or has nagging injuries all year? Its just silly to assume he'll be healthy. If being concerned with that is "not familiar enough with the game" than so be it but it definitely should be a concern.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I'm not really sure what the disconnect is with my posts and you but for some reason you seem to not be comprehending what i'm saying. Which is not a insult maybe its my fault. But where on earth did I say sign a guy 4+ years?

You talk about backs not lasting long and a few sentences later talk about AP not losing a step at 30 years old lol.

And I'm VERY familiar with the game. I know what happens when a athlete...one even as physically gifted as AP misses a year of football. He can either come back refreshed or he can come back like Rolando McClain has and suffer various injuries throughout the season. And then what? What happens when you invest big money into AP and he gets hurt or has nagging injuries all year? Its just silly to assume he'll be healthy. If being concerned with that is "not familiar enough with the game" than so be it but it definitely should be a concern.

You're talking about committing to a running back rather than renting them. I said to give AP a 3 year deal, that would imply you're looking for something longer out of a running back.

Please don't compare AP and McClain...

mugsybows

Reaction score
Mike Zimmer has said that he understands if Adrian Peterson wants out of Minnesota. The understanding is if he asked to be trade or released, he will get his wish.

I think we would be foolish not to go after Peterson. I think he would have had 2600 yards behind this offensive line this year. A bit of hyperbole, but some truth to it. I think we saw that Murray lacks burst, and can hit the hole with explosiveness. I think many 7 yard runs could have been 60, 70 yard runs for TDs with faster running backs, as we saw with Randle a few times.

I think DeMarco Murray is a fine all round back, but he isn't the runner Adrian Peterson is. I think he adds a dimension we lack on offense.

The real question to me is less regarding Peterson's availability, but rather how much would it cost to sign him. I think I would go as high as a 3 year 18-20 million dollar contract. If Peterson wants to go home and play in Dallas, I think it makes sense for all parties concerned.

Do most running backs slow down at 30? Yes. They do, but I don't think most running backs have the physical stature of Peterson. I think we could get a year or two out of him with no problem. We also have some running backs we can throw into a rotation.

Are there limitations and draw backs in having him? Absolutely, but I haven't heard a legitimate counter to suggest that the pros don't outweigh the cons.

If he is available, and he almost certainly will be, and he doesn't want all word type of money (that is the real question), we should sign him in a heartbeat.

I'd love to see what Linehan could do with Peterson, though also would like to mention, I'm wondering what the deal is with Dunbar and why he wasn't more involved.

I will be surprised if he isn't a cowboy next year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You're talking about committing to a running back rather than renting them. I said to give AP a 3 year deal, that would imply you're looking for something longer out of a running back.

Please don't compare AP and McClain...

I didn't compare AP to McClain. One is a linebacker and one is a running back. I'm simply saying you don't know what AP you will get. You can pretend to know but I don't know myself. I would love to find out for a decent price though.

BTW, McClain isn't a slouch of a athlete.

Committing longer to a running back as in drafting one lol. Not signing one for 4 years in free agency. I personally think the smarter solution is to go with Randle, Dunbar and maybe Ryan Williams....and draft a bruiser who can take some damage to a defense and wear them out.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
I agree with Rocyaice, a year away from contact is a concern for a player getting back into "football shape". But look if the price/years are right and he's available it does seem to be the move. But if it takes some kind draft pick trade walk away quickly...

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
ive mentioned it in another thread, i think this OL can make almost any RB into something special. RB isnt a priority, but it can be if Murray is not signed. which i believe will be the case, hes not taking the 4M. If AP is available and reasonable money, why not get him?

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That 1 or 2 year window you mentioned coincides with Romo and Witten. Sounds like a fit to me. That being said, I'm not sure we can afford AP and I wouldn't be mad if we kept Murray.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree with Rocyaice, a year away from contact is a concern for a player getting back into "football shape". But look if the price/years are right and he's available it does seem to be the move. But if it takes some kind draft pick trade walk away quickly...

Oh definitely not a trade. Well maybe a 7th rounder or something along those lines lol. But yeah there is risk here. People may not want to think about that but there definitely is. And that risk may work in the Cowboys favor in signing him for a decent price. I just don't agree that its a "no brainer". This guy is a freakish athlete and that year off from football...you just never know. It just depends on the money and of course he has to get cut. I'm not trading for a guy that's going to get released anyway.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That 1 or 2 year window you mentioned coincides with Romo and Witten. Sounds like a fit to me. That being said, I'm not sure we can afford AP and I wouldn't be mad if we kept Murray.

I agree with you on all accounts but at the same time......I don't think this team is done once Romo and Witten are. And that's not to ignore how important they are to this team. I just think when you have built the offensive line we have you that's going to go along way with replacing Romo when that time has come.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with you on all accounts but at the same time......I don't think this team is done once Romo and Witten are. And that's not to ignore how important they are to this team. I just think when you have built the offensive line we have you that's going to go along way with replacing Romo when that time has come.

The future sure looks bright when you look at it that way. Sustained success was once the hallmark of the Dallas Cowboys. Let's get back to that.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
If he's released and available there is no doubt we'll sign him to a 2 year deal . 2 years 12 million .

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The future sure looks bright when you look at it that way. Sustained success was once the hallmark of the Dallas Cowboys. Let's get back to that.

And that's what I'm most excited about. That's what was different about this years loss. The way this team is built and where its youth is at...they have a chance to be a consistent winning program especially with coaches like Linehan, Marinelli and Garrett as well as McClay in the front office. There's no reason this team, organization or its fans should not feel excited about the possibility's.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

Lawd yes, an extra four years on a guy with off field issues is exactly what this offense needs.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I was going to post something about Adrian Peterson and why I believe he is coming to Dallas.

First of all, Minnesota needs to build a new stadium. Their team is in a PR marketing blitz to woe the public in finalizing that deal. The public however is not so fond of a child beater playing in their stadium and public sentiment seems to want him out of that city.

Secondly, Peterson will be commanding a 12 million price tag and is going on the wrong side of 30.

His price tag, his age and his PR to the Vikings is something that the team might not be able to overcome. They aren't a rich team like Dallas and their thoughts are his not worth that much.

Peterson has expressed playing for Dallas. Not once, but twice. He even call Jerry on the phone personally and told him flat out he would love to play for the Cowboys.

Everyone here is saying that we can't afford Murray and I'm in agreement with that. He'll probably fetch up to 7-8 per. year and I don't think we got the cap space to pay him that.

Enter Adrian Peterson. I think he will want to come to Dallas on a cap friendly contract. Possibly 4-5 per. year for 3 years. Money doesn't seem to be a factor since he's already gotten paid. Its just his desire to play here that will bring him to Dallas.

Remember when the last time someone mentioned they wanted to come and coach for the Cowboys? Jerry made it happen.

Peterson is coming. Whether we like it our not. Brace for impact!!

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
And that's what I'm most excited about. That's what was different about this years loss. The way this team is built and where its youth is at...they have a chance to be a consistent winning program especially with coaches like Linehan, Marinelli and Garrett as well as McClay in the front office. There's no reason this team, organization or its fans should not feel excited about the possibility's.

I am absolutely excited about the Cowboys. When Garrett announced on Twitter that his goal is to bring a Superbowl championship I got excited.

Then when Stephen mentioned that they want to sign Marinelli and get passrushers for this defense I got even more excited.

The FO for once are not lost like a bunch of chickens without their heads. They have a goal and a plan and there moving full steam ahead. Were no longer the Titanic. We are the USS Enterprise - bolding going where we were destined to go.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I am absolutely excited about the Cowboys. When Garrett announced on Twitter that his goal is to bring a Superbowl championship I got excited.

Then when Stephen mentioned that they want to sign Marinelli and get passrushers for this defense I got even more excited.

The FO for once are not lost like a bunch of chickens without their heads. They have a goal and a plan and there moving full steam ahead. Were no longer the Titanic. We are the USS Enterprise - bolding going where we were destined to go.

I already can't wait until free agency and the draft. They owe Marinelli a few big time players on his defense especially that defensive line. This team truly is a few guys on the defensive line away from really being a problem.

I just hope this team doesn't lose to many contributors from last season to where we have to worry about replacing even more holes.

AKATheRake

Reaction score

I also agree that being away for a year meddles with an athletes conditioning.

The fact of the matter is that AP did not miss an entire season of contact.

We're also talking about a guy who rushed for over 2000 yards right after tearing up his knee just 2 seasons ago.

Nothing is typical with AP physically and it was only 2 seasons ago he was considered the games freakiest athlete.

The talk out of Minny this season, before the whole switch ordeal of course, was that AP was going to make another push at 2000 yards. Obviously they didn't feel he was experiencing any decline.

Furthermore, Dallas if given the opportunity along with interest would evaluate the athlete prior to contract.