Adrian Peterson is a no brainer

AKATheRake

Reaction score
The kid from Georgia May also fall to our selection.

Be aware of that.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Mike Zimmer has said that he understands if Adrian Peterson wants out of Minnesota. The understanding is if he asked to be trade or released, he will get his wish.

I think we would be foolish not to go after Peterson. I think he would have had 2600 yards behind this offensive line this year. A bit of hyperbole, but some truth to it. I think we saw that Murray lacks burst, and can hit the hole with explosiveness. I think many 7 yard runs could have been 60, 70 yard runs for TDs with faster running backs, as we saw with Randle a few times.

I think DeMarco Murray is a fine all round back, but he isn't the runner Adrian Peterson is. I think he adds a dimension we lack on offense.

The real question to me is less regarding Peterson's availability, but rather how much would it cost to sign him. I think I would go as high as a 3 year 18-20 million dollar contract. If Peterson wants to go home and play in Dallas, I think it makes sense for all parties concerned.

Do most running backs slow down at 30? Yes. They do, but I don't think most running backs have the physical stature of Peterson. I think we could get a year or two out of him with no problem. We also have some running backs we can throw into a rotation.

Are there limitations and draw backs in having him? Absolutely, but I haven't heard a legitimate counter to suggest that the pros don't outweigh the cons.

If he is available, and he almost certainly will be, and he doesn't want all word type of money (that is the real question), we should sign him in a heartbeat.

I'd love to see what Linehan could do with Peterson, though also would like to mention, I'm wondering what the deal is with Dunbar and why he wasn't more involved.

NO NO NO

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I was going to post something about Adrian Peterson and why I believe he is coming to Dallas.

First of all, Minnesota needs to build a new stadium. Their team is in a PR marketing blitz to woe the public in finalizing that deal. The public however is not so fond of a child beater playing in their stadium and public sentiment seems to want him out of that city.

Secondly, Peterson will be commanding a 12 million price tag and is going on the wrong side of 30.

His price tag, his age and his PR to the Vikings is something that the team might not be able to overcome. They aren't a rich team like Dallas and their thoughts are his not worth that much.

Peterson has expressed playing for Dallas. Not once, but twice. He even call Jerry on the phone personally and told him flat out he would love to play for the Cowboys.

Everyone here is saying that we can't afford Murray and I'm in agreement with that. He'll probably fetch up to 7-8 per. year and I don't think we got the cap space to pay him that.

Enter Adrian Peterson. I think he will want to come to Dallas on a cap friendly contract. Possibly 4-5 per. year for 3 years. Money doesn't seem to be a factor since he's already gotten paid. Its just his desire to play here that will bring him to Dallas.

Remember when the last time someone mentioned they wanted to come and coach for the Cowboys? Jerry made it happen.

Peterson is coming. Whether we like it our not. Brace for impact!!

NO NO NO

joseephuss

Reaction score
Again, I don't think you've familiar enough with the game.

It is unwise to commit to a running back for more than 4 or so years, simply because they don't last long. It's one thing to draft one, but to sign a guy for 4+ years? Makes no sense.

No reason to think AP has lost a step at all.

This offense needs whatever it can get.

Yes, there is reason to think Peterson has lost a step. Go watch film of his last full season playing. He didn't look like the guy that rushed for over 2000 yards in 2012.

I don't think Peterson is terrible now by any means, but these grand visions of him rushing for 2000 yards or more in Dallas are pure fantasy.

romothesavior

Reaction score
We need defense more than anything, so don't break the bank or waste any picks. I'm okay with signing AP but only for a moderate price. It doesn't make sense to let Demarco walk because you won't pay $6m+ but then sign AP for $8m.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Several roadblocks, one, he has to get reinstated in April and two, the Vikings need to want to let him go.

Last comments I could find from Zimmer do not suggest he is done there.

“I would respect Adrian’s decision. I’ll always be honest with him and up front, but I’m going to try to explain to him the reasons why I would like for him to be here. But it has to be a two-way street, and he has to get his life taken care of. But we’ll sit down and talk, and I’m a pretty good recruiter, too.”

The biggest issue is that the Cowboys have their own decisions to make and cannot wait on this to settle by April. The draft is where I look for a replacement if Murray is allowed to leave, not pinning hopes that he will be released and will come with a reasonable price tag.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Yes, there is reason to think Peterson has lost a step. Go watch film of his last full season playing. He didn't look like the guy that rushed for over 2000 yards in 2012.

I don't think Peterson is terrible now by any means, but these grand visions of him rushing for 2000 yards or more in Dallas are pure fantasy.

AP losing a step means he is only one step ahead of everyone else. He is a freak of nature. Not saying 2k but 1700 is within reason.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I already can't wait until free agency and the draft. They owe Marinelli a few big time players on his defense especially that defensive line. This team truly is a few guys on the defensive line away from really being a problem.

I just hope this team doesn't lose to many contributors from last season to where we have to worry about replacing even more holes.

This team is already a problem. They're a few players away from being an unsolvable problem.:)

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Enter Adrian Peterson. I think he will want to come to Dallas on a cap friendly contract. Possibly 4-5 per. year for 3 years. Money doesn't seem to be a factor since he's already gotten paid. Its just his desire to play here that will bring him to Dallas.

Remember when the last time someone mentioned they wanted to come and coach for the Cowboys? Jerry made it happen.

Peterson is coming. Whether we like it our not. Brace for impact!!

The key is to get him to take the deal you propose; that would be a wise investment. Peterson and winter may indeed be coming!

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
Peterson is nice but he's too old for my liking. I'd much rather try and find a leveon bell type in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round of the draft. I'd mix him in with randle. I know it's easier to find on paper, but I'd rather take that gamble than pay big money to an aging running back.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
The biggest issue is that the Cowboys have their own decisions to make and cannot wait on this to settle by April. The draft is where I look for a replacement if Murray is allowed to leave, not pinning hopes that he will be released and will come with a reasonable price tag.

That right there is the major stumbling block with AP. I sure don't want this team sitting around until April waiting to see 1. What the court has to say 2. What the league has to say (although I cannot see any further punishment from the league and 3. What Minnesota decides to do with him.
There are just way too many issues with counting on his availability.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Peterson is nice but he's too old for my liking. I'd much rather try and find a leveon bell type in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round of the draft. I'd mix him in with randle. I know it's easier to find on paper, but I'd rather take that gamble than pay big money to an aging running back.

AP will be our featured back but will split more carries than Murray did. Our new GM (Looks like Jerry, Talks like Jerry, Walks like Jerry but actually makes good football moves) will cover the bases just in case.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
That 1 or 2 year window you mentioned coincides with Romo and Witten. Sounds like a fit to me. That being said, I'm not sure we can afford AP and I wouldn't be mad if we kept Murray.
From what everyone is saying here - we can't aford either.
Running back by committee next year.

Nation

Reaction score
Nothing says "Successful Front Office in the 2015 NFL" like signing a 30 year old running back to anything more than the veteran minimum

Frozen700

Reaction score
I hope we get him, and let murray go break someone else's bank. He's not worth it.

AP would break Murray's record in a span on 10-12 games with his talent, and this O-Line.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Mike Zimmer has said that he understands if Adrian Peterson wants out of Minnesota. The understanding is if he asked to be trade or released, he will get his wish.

I think we would be foolish not to go after Peterson. I think he would have had 2600 yards behind this offensive line this year. A bit of hyperbole, but some truth to it. I think we saw that Murray lacks burst, and can hit the hole with explosiveness. I think many 7 yard runs could have been 60, 70 yard runs for TDs with faster running backs, as we saw with Randle a few times.

I think DeMarco Murray is a fine all round back, but he isn't the runner Adrian Peterson is. I think he adds a dimension we lack on offense.

The real question to me is less regarding Peterson's availability, but rather how much would it cost to sign him. I think I would go as high as a 3 year 18-20 million dollar contract. If Peterson wants to go home and play in Dallas, I think it makes sense for all parties concerned.

Do most running backs slow down at 30? Yes. They do, but I don't think most running backs have the physical stature of Peterson. I think we could get a year or two out of him with no problem. We also have some running backs we can throw into a rotation.

Are there limitations and draw backs in having him? Absolutely, but I haven't heard a legitimate counter to suggest that the pros don't outweigh the cons.

If he is available, and he almost certainly will be, and he doesn't want all word type of money (that is the real question), we should sign him in a heartbeat.

I'd love to see what Linehan could do with Peterson, though also would like to mention, I'm wondering what the deal is with Dunbar and why he wasn't more involved.

We might have to swing for the fences here.

AD and Suh!

Question to all the football guru's and experts on the zone... Can Randle be a starter? Be effective full time?

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
The future sure looks bright when you look at it that way. Sustained success was once the hallmark of the Dallas Cowboys. Let's get back to that.

Signing older players is what created the mess to begin with. AP will be thirty and fumbles as much if not more than Murray.
He's had one magical season and has now sat for a year. If not Murray why go older? Find a younger guy who can protect Romo and get yards.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Comparing AP to Ro Mac is apples to oranges, Ro was sitting on his couch for a year at one point with the intent of staying retired. AP played last season so he went through TC and then was deactivated. Think of it as knee injury without the questions about rehab.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

In 14 games in 2013 he ran for 1266 and had 4.5 ypc, which is basically on par with the rest of his career. That's also with absolutely 0 passing game and no other offensive weapons.

I don't disagree that the AP of old might be gone, but it's really difficult to judge him based solely on production. You think Murray would put up the same numbers in Minny? I sure dont.

khiladi

Reaction score
I agree with Rocyaice, a year away from contact is a concern for a player getting back into "football shape". But look if the price/years are right and he's available it does seem to be the move. But if it takes some kind draft pick trade walk away quickly...

Not with AP. The guy tor everything in his knee and came back having a monster year, so close to shattering Dickerson's record...