Adrian Peterson is a no brainer

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
AP will be our featured back but will split more carries than Murray did. Our new GM (Looks like Jerry, Talks like Jerry, Walks like Jerry but actually makes good football moves) will cover the bases just in case.
My main concern with peterson is the money it would cost. There's no denying his talent. I'd just prefer using that money on defense. I think our run game would be a strength, regardless of peterson. Or maybe I'm giving our o line too much credit.

pansophy

Reaction score
We might have to swing for the fences here.

AD and Suh!

Question to all the football guru's and experts on the zone... Can Randle be a starter? Be effective full time?

There is nothing about either guy that is consistent with how Garrett wants to build this team - 'having the right kinds of guys doing things the right way'.

I would be shocked if we go after either one of them, despite their obvious talent. I don't think Garrett will want to introduce them into what we have going on in the locker room right now.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Signing older players is what created the mess to begin with. AP will be thirty and fumbles as much if not more than Murray.
He's had one magical season and has now sat for a year. If not Murray why go older? Find a younger guy who can protect Romo and get yards.

The question is who would that be? A rookie? I'm not sure Randle and Dunbar can be full-time backs, although they were underutilized all year. I"m not sure what Williams can do.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
My main concern with peterson is the money it would cost. There's no denying his talent. I'd just prefer using that money on defense. I think our run game would be a strength, regardless of peterson. Or maybe I'm giving our o line too much credit.

You think AP, after calling JJ and expressing he wants to come home, will want superstar money? He will come cheap and be all smiles to wear the star. As would any of you Cowboy fans in his position.

SoBlue128

Reaction score
I just can't see Peterson taking what was offered to Murray. With the problems on defense anything more than that would be a disappointment. With the offense in place now imagine what this team would be with a 10-12 range defense.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yet Mike Zimmer of the Vikes wants to keep Peterson. It will mean restructuring the contract something most players will do. I think there is a big assumption that Peterson will even be on the market.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
There is nothing about either guy that is consistent with how Garrett wants to build this team - 'having the right kinds of guys doing things the right way'.

I would be shocked if we go after either one of them, despite their obvious talent. I don't think Garrett will want to introduce them into what we have going on in the locker room right now.

Understood. I agree for the most part... But....

A good coach knows that he needs certain players added. He will need to handle different players differently.

Plus I do think Jerry will get one of them. Not to get off topic here but Suh did say his agent was going to decide where goes. That's like texting Jerry. IMO.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I predict that AP will suffer the same fate as Tiger Woods did after his scandal. So as this point, Murray > AP at the same $.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Not with AP. The guy tor everything in his knee and came back having a monster year, so close to shattering Dickerson's record...

Yeah right, this view is so stupid. If AP is so superhuman why did he knee get ripped up in the first place...

khiladi

Reaction score
Yeah right, this view is so stupid. If AP is so superhuman why did he knee get ripped up in the first place...

Did I say that? Reality has him coming back after a year off from a torn knee to rush for over 2000 yards, almost eclipsing Dickerson's record. That really happened.

Arguing a year off and not being in game-shape, when he isn't injured and can work out, is pretty foolish.

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
You think AP, after calling JJ and expressing he wants to come home, will want superstar money? He will come cheap and be all smiles to wear the star. As would any of you Cowboy fans in his position.
Yes, I do think think he'll still want superstar money. He lost out on 4 million last year, plus legal bills that could be piling up, child support, etc. I would think so. If he wants to play at the vet minimum or a very friendly cheap deal, then I'll be on board.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Murray had 1,845 yards this year. Peterson is the best back in football, but how many more yards is that? 300-400 more? Maybe not even that much, given he'll be 30 next year. Can he tote it 392 times, being 3 years older than Murray? Lots of questions to me.

There's also this: if you believe what's out there Murray is being offered 4 million per year by the Cowboys, he wants 30 million for 4 years, that's a little over 7 mil per. Adrian Peterson makes $12-15 million per year. Giving that kind of money to a 30 year old running back costs you the majority of the 15 UFAs on your roster. I'd prefer not to sign him.

Get better on the d-line, keep building the trenches. If you build these lines up, you build a consistent championship caliber team. I want Witten and Romo to get a ring as much as anyone, but I also want to transition to the next qb without going 2-14. You can do that by being extremely stout on both lines.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Despite AP having declared that he'd like to come to Dallas, he's very likely a 2-year proposition for a deal that might very well be beyond what Jerry and Stephen are willing to offer. Peterson has been spoiled by getting the big bucks and likely won't sell himself short. Still, no harm in having him pay us a call to check him out.

Even if a contract isn't in the cards, there is a multitude of RBs this year that would readily be available to us in the draft within the first four rounds that might very possibly serve us splendidly for the next six or seven years. With our OL, a good RB would practically be a shoe-in to look terrific.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Despite AP having declared that he'd like to come to Dallas, he's very likely a 2-year proposition for a deal that might very well be beyond what Jerry and Stephen are willing to offer. Peterson has been spoiled by getting the big bucks and likely won't sell himself short.

Still, no harm in having him pay us a call to check him out. Even if a contract isn't in the cards, there are lots of RBs this year that would be available to us in the draft within the first four rounds that might serve us well for the next six or seven years. With our OL, a good RB could look terrific.

I agree however he is a Viking and the ball is in their court. I'm not as keen as some are of getting an older player

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Only the last fifteen games, but I guess that doesn't count!

He was practicing with the team 2 out of the last several weeks.

Apparently they felt he was in good enough condition to start if his appeal was won.

Josh Gordon didn't look toO bad either once he came back.

We're talking about the best RB of the past decade here and 1 of the 3 best overall players in the league the past decade.

AP is an athletic anomaly. Ask every player in the league.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yes, there is reason to think Peterson has lost a step. Go watch film of his last full season playing. He didn't look like the guy that rushed for over 2000 yards in 2012.

I don't think Peterson is terrible now by any means, but these grand visions of him rushing for 2000 yards or more in Dallas are pure fantasy.

He also was the only threat on offense that the Vikings had, lol, pretty easy to limit him when every team knows he is going to be doing everything. In Dallas, they wouldnt know what we would be doing.