Adrian Peterson is a no brainer

Staubacher

Reaction score
If Dunbar is overhyped, what does that make Williams? This is a guy that some people said wouldn't make it to the practice squad after he was cut. Then some said another team would sign him away from Dallas. Then after Murray broke his hand some said Dallas would put him on the active roster and he would get playing time. None of those things happened. He has done 4 years of nothing, but some think he is an important piece. I don't see how he is a bruiser He is listed as 5'-10" and 205 lbs.

I'm saying as a #3 RB he likely offers something Dunbar does not, if our first two guys are speed and shiftiness. I'm not calling for him to be the feature back. He runs hard is all I know but you are right he is not a pure bruiser pardon my flexibility with the language.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dunbar is overhyped, what does that make Williams? This is a guy that some people said wouldn't make it to the practice squad after he was cut. Then some said another team would sign him away from Dallas. Then after Murray broke his hand some said Dallas would put him on the active roster and he would get playing time. None of those things happened. He has done 4 years of nothing, but some think he is an important piece. I don't see how he is a bruiser He is listed as 5'-10" and 205 lbs.

I do remember reading an article that mentioned that Williams turned down the chance to sign with something like 8 or 9 teams in 2014 to instead remain on Dallas' practice squad.

And I think it says something that both sides quickly signed a two year deal immediately after the season.

dfense

Reaction score
I personally am not with just a 1 or 2 year rental of a 30 year old running back. I'd like for whoever our running back to be someone who will be here for a few years.

I think its also silly to assume that AP will be the same back he was prior to this past shortened season.

So then for me it comes down to how much. I think people are underrating how much he will make next season. I see no reason why a team wouldn't offer him a 3 year 20 million dollar deal or something along those lines. If he's willing to take a 2 year deal at 6 million or something along those lines sign me up.

But this offense doesn't need a 2000 yard rusher. It would be nice but this team needs someone who can wear down a defense, pass block and hold on to the football. I think that can be had for a much cheaper price than what Peterson or even Demarco will command.

I'd never give a running back more than a two year deal.

Alweezy

Reaction score
I think the running back position is one we can mask behind a good o line to be competent enough. I Enjoyed demarco's ride this year but if he wants to get paid, he shouldn't be back. I would want to get paid as much as I could, if I were him. The last 5 super bowl participants have not had a rusher that was in the top 5 in rushing for that year. In fact, the last 5 super bowl winners had their lead rusher ranked 24th, 32nd, 29th, 11th, 6th in their respective year. I think a good qb and good defense go a longer way than a running back. Therefore, I believe our focus and money should be on the defensive side of things.

A good O line can mask a decent RB
A good RB can mask a decent Defense.

I think the formula is in place for us to get the job done. We need a pash rusher. We need to maintain a high quality run game because we aren't fixing the defense in one offseason and we don't have enough off seasons to waste.

Wood

Reaction score
Mike Zimmer has said that he understands if Adrian Peterson wants out of Minnesota. The understanding is if he asked to be trade or released, he will get his wish.

I think we would be foolish not to go after Peterson. I think he would have had 2600 yards behind this offensive line this year. A bit of hyperbole, but some truth to it. I think we saw that Murray lacks burst, and can hit the hole with explosiveness. I think many 7 yard runs could have been 60, 70 yard runs for TDs with faster running backs, as we saw with Randle a few times.

I think DeMarco Murray is a fine all round back, but he isn't the runner Adrian Peterson is. I think he adds a dimension we lack on offense.

The real question to me is less regarding Peterson's availability, but rather how much would it cost to sign him. I think I would go as high as a 3 year 18-20 million dollar contract. If Peterson wants to go home and play in Dallas, I think it makes sense for all parties concerned.

Do most running backs slow down at 30? Yes. They do, but I don't think most running backs have the physical stature of Peterson. I think we could get a year or two out of him with no problem. We also have some running backs we can throw into a rotation.

Are there limitations and draw backs in having him? Absolutely, but I haven't heard a legitimate counter to suggest that the pros don't outweigh the cons.

If he is available, and he almost certainly will be, and he doesn't want all word type of money (that is the real question), we should sign him in a heartbeat.

I'd love to see what Linehan could do with Peterson, though also would like to mention, I'm wondering what the deal is with Dunbar and why he wasn't more involved.

Dallas has been clear on this. Their days of spending $6 million year on RB is gone. You can thank Marion Barber for that. Dallas new philosophy is to keep turning over RB via the draft. Randle and rookie RB will usher in new rushing attack.

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
A good O line can mask a decent RB
A good RB can mask a decent Defense.

I think the formula is in place for us to get the job done. We need a pash rusher. We need to maintain a high quality run game because we aren't fixing the defense in one offseason and we don't have enough off seasons to waste.
I'm all for a good rb.... Via the draft or a cap friendly contract

Ken

Reaction score
I would think with the controversy and his age that his price would come down significantly.....

endersdragon

Reaction score
Agreed Adrian Peterson is a person without a brain, (sorry to correct you, just sounds better than calling a guy a "no brainer")