Adrian Peterson is a no brainer

joseephuss

Reaction score
Its not that the Vikings don't want him back - they do. Peterson is a PR nightmare. Plus you add his age (3) and factor in how much he cost - 12 million.

Keep in mind the Vikings need the public's approval for a new stadium to be built. If Peterson is a PR problem on top of everything else, I think he's going to be good as gone.

They broke ground on their new stadium in December 2013 and most of the Metrodome has been demolished. That is why they played this season and will play next year at the the Gophers stadium.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
AP's age, the beating he body half taken, his salary demands, his recent conviction and resulting rap. . . sounds like a winner to me!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
OK, I didn't get any of that from the links you posted but fair enough.

coult44

Reaction score
Y'all do know it's AD not AP thats his nick name right...
Just checking.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
AD has 2 good years left and, depending on how long he wants to play, several average years. Fact is that he is a freak of nature.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what the disconnect is with my posts and you but for some reason you seem to not be comprehending what i'm saying. Which is not a insult maybe its my fault. But where on earth did I say sign a guy 4+ years?

You talk about backs not lasting long and a few sentences later talk about AP not losing a step at 30 years old lol.

And I'm VERY familiar with the game. I know what happens when a athlete...one even as physically gifted as AP misses a year of football. He can either come back refreshed or he can come back like Rolando McClain has and suffer various injuries throughout the season. And then what? What happens when you invest big money into AP and he gets hurt or has nagging injuries all year? Its just silly to assume he'll be healthy. If being concerned with that is "not familiar enough with the game" than so be it but it definitely should be a concern.

Me no think you are (echo chamber affects) VERY FAMILIAR (echo chamber effects off) with the game but on this particular response you do make sense. Wait i take that back. I don't know your familiarity so i cannot write dat and be true to meineself.

Last edited:

HoustonSucks

Reaction score
I'm probably the only person on this board who does't want AP. Don't need the contract, don't need the drama, he's older, no idea if he's lost a step or not, no idea how he would jive with out team chemistry, he comes with baggage. What makes anyone think he will be any cheaper than Demarco? Anyway, my opinon....

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Mike Zimmer has said that he understands if Adrian Peterson wants out of Minnesota. The understanding is if he asked to be trade or released, he will get his wish.

I think we would be foolish not to go after Peterson. I think he would have had 2600 yards behind this offensive line this year. A bit of hyperbole, but some truth to it. I think we saw that Murray lacks burst, and can hit the hole with explosiveness. I think many 7 yard runs could have been 60, 70 yard runs for TDs with faster running backs, as we saw with Randle a few times.

I think DeMarco Murray is a fine all round back, but he isn't the runner Adrian Peterson is. I think he adds a dimension we lack on offense.

The real question to me is less regarding Peterson's availability, but rather how much would it cost to sign him. I think I would go as high as a 3 year 18-20 million dollar contract. If Peterson wants to go home and play in Dallas, I think it makes sense for all parties concerned.

Do most running backs slow down at 30? Yes. They do, but I don't think most running backs have the physical stature of Peterson. I think we could get a year or two out of him with no problem. We also have some running backs we can throw into a rotation.

Are there limitations and draw backs in having him? Absolutely, but I haven't heard a legitimate counter to suggest that the pros don't outweigh the cons.

If he is available, and he almost certainly will be, and he doesn't want all word type of money (that is the real question), we should sign him in a heartbeat.

I'd love to see what Linehan could do with Peterson, though also would like to mention, I'm wondering what the deal is with Dunbar and why he wasn't more involved.

If you can get him somewhat cheap then sure.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Me no think you are (echo chamber affects) VERY FAMILIAR (echo chamber effects off) with the game but on this particular response you do make sense.

What on earth is "familiar with the game"? What does that even mean? None of us on here are in the NFL or anywhere close to it aside from talking about it on a message board day in and out.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
What on earth is "familiar with the game"? What does that even mean? None of us on here are in the NFL or anywhere close to it aside from talking about it on a message board day in and out.

i wrote back a nice adendumdum after meine hasty response. but did you not write: "And I'm VERY familiar with the game." ??

so let us not make opera out of dis.

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
I think the running back position is one we can mask behind a good o line to be competent enough. I Enjoyed demarco's ride this year but if he wants to get paid, he shouldn't be back. I would want to get paid as much as I could, if I were him. The last 5 super bowl participants have not had a rusher that was in the top 5 in rushing for that year. In fact, the last 5 super bowl winners had their lead rusher ranked 24th, 32nd, 29th, 11th, 6th in their respective year. I think a good qb and good defense go a longer way than a running back. Therefore, I believe our focus and money should be on the defensive side of things.