Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
$12 million for one season = boatload
No 1 year 12M for the best CB is not a boatload especially considering that no draft picks were required.

In your opinion perhaps. If they get one championship from him, all of it is worth it. Just like it was for the Patriots this past season. And it's not like the 2016 or 2016 drafts will be without running backs.
Now your narrowing down the possibility of it being worth it to 1 year which almost guarantees a fail.

And Peterson is markedly better. The only people who mention Murray and Peterson in the same sentence are Cowboys fans.

Peterson has proven to be better having an entirely and completely lesser team around him, in every way. If he could do what he did being a 'diamond among trash', it's not a stretch to think about what he could accomplish playing on a team that actually has talent around him.
How much better do they need than 1800 yards? Getting a better RB was not the key to going further in the playoff last season. Getting better pass rush was.

esloan

Reaction score
Joey Galloway and Roy Williams werent even on the same planet as Adrian Peterson. You are talking about 2 scrub recievers, compared with one ot the greatest RB's in history.

Neither of those teams were a player or 2 away from winning a super bowl either. This team is.

I would say the 2007 Cowboys were thought to be pretty damn close. Hindsight is 20/20 but, at the time, every one thought they were as close as last years team.

Also, neither of those receivers were thought to be scrubs at the time. They weren't to the caliber that Peterson has been thought of but, then again, they were not 30 years old either.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Joey Galloway and Roy Williams werent even on the same planet as Adrian Peterson. You are talking about 2 scrub recievers, compared with one ot the greatest RB's in history.

Neither of those teams were a player or 2 away from winning a super bowl either. This team is.

Those guys were thought by many to be high quality players and they were in their prime. As Fuzzy's chart shows, 30 is not the prime for a RB.

esloan

Reaction score
12 million for a corner is a boat load but it was for one year. One. If we could sign Peterson to a one year deal and no draft picks, sure, sign me up. But this is not the case. It would have to be for multiple years, probably rather large years and with guaranteed money. Plus, we would have to give up draft picks. Sorry but the two are simply not analogous.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score

Joey Galloway and R. Williams weren't scrubs. Roy had some good years and Galloway was a top WR in the league at the time. What many that are bashing Galloway forget is he had a knee injury that's what killed the move. Hell even Troy himself said many times Joey ended my career. Losing that type of player after giving up so much hurt bad.

Jerry isn't going to mortgage the team for AD. The plan all along was to move on from Murray if he didn't accept their offer, giving them an opportunity to pursue AD, and or draft a rb in this deep rb draft if that doesn't work out.

Sydla

Reaction score
Really? They just paid a boatload of money for Darrelle Revis on a one year rental. And that worked out pretty well for them this year.
1-year, 12M, No draft picks required

The history for special running backs is just fine, as I've pointed out earlier in this thread.
They need to get 4 years from him if they are going to give up draft picks. They would get 5 years from a 1st round pick before he hits free agency.

That's a huge assumption. And this is coming from a huge fan of Gurley. You HOPE he's half the player that Peterson has already proven himself to be at the NFL level.
Murray proved to run 1800 yards in this scheme and they didn't keep him. It only required money and no draft picks to retain Murray.

If I am giving up a 4th rounder or two 4th rounders for him or what Clayton opined, I only need one or two years out of him, not 4.

You guys overvalue 4th round picks.

esloan

Reaction score
If I am giving up a 4th rounder or two 4th rounders for him or what Clayton opined, I only need one or two years out of him, not 4.

That is fine that you only need two years out of him. Unfortunately, you will be paying him for 4, more than likely. That is why you can't mortgage the future. It is not just the draft picks.

burmafrd

Reaction score
That is fine that you only need two years out of him. Unfortunately, you will be paying him for 4, more than likely. That is why you can't mortgage the future. It is not just the draft picks.

guess what? Two years is probably all we are going to get out of Romo - so it really does not matter does it?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If the trade was going to be for 4th round picks, it would probably already be done.

pansophy

Reaction score
guess what? Two years is probably all we are going to get out of Romo - so it really does not matter does it?

And we already had to restructure him. So how much are you willing to mortgage the future for a 30 year old RB?

Sydla

Reaction score
If the trade was going to be for 4th round picks, it would probably already be done.

Not really. I think most expected the Vikes would hold out for a bit to see what they can get but as they get closer to the draft, they'll probably have to reassess his value.

It's pretty obvious that no one has called the Vikes giving them an offer they can't refuse.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
$12 million for one season = boatload
No 1 year 12M for the best CB is not a boatload especially considering that no draft picks were required.

Then by the same rule, it's not for the best RB either. Unless you're trying to imply a double-standard.

[quite]In your opinion perhaps. If they get one championship from him, all of it is worth it. Just like it was for the Patriots this past season. And it's not like the 2016 or 2016 drafts will be without running backs.
Now your narrowing down the possibility of it being worth it to 1 year which almost guarantees a fail.[/quote]

It does no such thing. I'm narrowing it down to possibly winning a championship, which I would gladly give up a #1 for.

And Peterson is markedly better. The only people who mention Murray and Peterson in the same sentence are Cowboys fans.

Peterson has proven to be better having an entirely and completely lesser team around him, in every way. If he could do what he did being a 'diamond among trash', it's not a stretch to think about what he could accomplish playing on a team that actually has talent around him.
How much better do they need than 1800 yards? Getting a better RB was not the key to going further in the playoff last season. Getting better pass rush was.

Which they have done with the Hardy signing. The only problem is that the '1800 yard' running back is now no longer here. So at this point, the biggest need is replacing that great production from the running game. The other offensive parts remain in place and therefore an upgrade in talent at the running back position should provide equal or even better results.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And we already had to restructure him. So how much are you willing to mortgage the future for a 30 year old RB?

I would be fine having $20 million in dead money after Romo and Peterson were gone, especially if a championship is won along the way.

At that point, their replacements will be rookies working on inexpensive deals anyway.

pansophy

Reaction score
I would be fine having $20 million in dead money after Romo and Peterson were gone, especially if a championship is won along the way.

At that point, their replacements will be rookies working on inexpensive deals anyway.

But this is exactly how the team has been run since our last super bowl and we have only won 2 playoffs games that way. Perhaps its time to try to build a solid balanced team that has depth to compensate for the injuries that happen every year?

dallasdave

Reaction score

Win two Super Bowls in a row starting right now and I'm ok with the Cowboys having 30 million in dead money for one year, after the two Super Bowl wins of course !!!

Sydla

Reaction score
But this is exactly how the team has been run since our last super bowl and we have only won 2 playoffs games that way. Perhaps its time to try to build a solid balanced team that has depth to compensate for the injuries that happen every year?

Adding Peterson doesn't take us back to the dark ages. If we could get him for say a 3rd or 4th rounder, you still have your top 2 or 3 picks which can be used to build depth. The cap will go up again next year so you won't be in so called cap hell going forward.

Certainly, if acquiring Peterson means trading a #1 or a #2 or an combination, it's not a good deal IMO. It's also not a good deal if he ends up getting paid a ridiculous amount by Dallas either. But if you could get him for a mid round pick or maybe a combo of mid-round picks and you can get him to agree to a sensible restructure that doesn't kill you 4 years down the road, I can't see how people don't think it's a solid move.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Then by the same rule, it's not for the best RB either. Unless you're trying to imply a double-standard.
If Peterson is available for 1-year, 12M with NO draft pick involved, then we can compare.

Now your narrowing down the possibility of it being worth it to 1 year which almost guarantees a fail.
It does no such thing. I'm narrowing it down to possibly winning a championship, which I would gladly give up a #1 for.
You're giving up a 1st for a very slim chance at winning a Super Bowl.

Which they have done with the Hardy signing. The only problem is that the '1800 yard' running back is now no longer here. So at this point, the biggest need is replacing that great production from the running game. The other offensive parts remain in place and therefore an upgrade in talent at the running back position should provide equal or even better results.

The 1800 yard RB was a product of the OLine. There is a high probability of having great success with other RBs behind this OL.
Murray:
2011 897
2012 663
2013 1,121
2014 1,845

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And again, even if they give up two picks for Peterson, they've not only filled their biggest need, but they still have plenty of picks and options remaining for the future. I don't see it as an either/or proposition.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're giving up a 1st for a very slim chance at winning a Super Bowl.

I don't see it as 'slim' at all. This team was 12-4 last year and obtaining big upgrades at both pass rush and running game only improves them and increases the chances of winning a championship.

The 1800 yard RB was a product of the OLine. There is a high probability of having great success with other RBs behind this OL.
Murray:
2011 897
2012 663
2013 1,121
2014 1,845

Like who? McFadden and his league low average? Or an unproven rookie? I completely disagree with this 'low probability' for a championship while adding improvements to a 12-4 team while somehow there's a 'high probability of having great success' with either a proven disappointment or an NFL unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.