After further review a week later, Refs stole game from Cowboys vs Packers once again

DandyDon52

Reaction score
While Connor McGovern’s play as a whole has been solid this season, the guard is not far removed from a brutal holding call against the Green Bay Packers in Week 10.

After surrendering a 28-14 lead in the second half, Dallas had the ball in overtime and a chance to still win. Pollard received a handoff and busted through the center of the line for a big gain, but the play was brought back for a holding call on McGovern.

The play stalled the drive, which was followed by Green Bay eventually winning the game 31-28. McGovern is convinced it wasn’t a hold even after watching the play afterward.

“Once I felt the back go past me, I let go. I didn’t grab anything,” McGovern said. “The ref said I tried to restrict him, tried to tackle him. Watching it on the replay, watching it on the iPad, I still don’t see it.”

Clear as day, the officials screwed the Cowboys over the Packers once again.

it was because the player went down with 66 still touching him. they always call that as a hold.
most are suspect, but that is how they call it.
I see the same thing in other non cowboy games.
The nfl sees all this yet does nothing, so what does that tell you?
Tells me they like it like that.
They call minor stuff that should not be called, and miss stuff that should be called.
The nfl likes that.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
It’s foolish to conclude a questionable call in OT cost us the game.
Yeah. Again. I’m not sure why this is hard to get, but I’ll try to make it more clear.

The call in question is another of many factors in the team losing. It’s pretty clear had they called the pi our chances of winning would’ve went up and quite a bit.

Missed throws, bad drops, missed assignments, bad penalties and many more are all factors to be weighed. To rule out a missed penalty call as one factor isn’t smart if understanding the reasons you lost is the goal.

You can always point to other factors that you feel are more important. And that’s your opinion. Ruling out bad calls is foolish and it’s being willfully ignorant to a loss factor. That is a fact.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah. Again. I’m not sure why this is hard to get, but I’ll try to make it more clear.

The call in question is another of many factors in the team losing. It’s pretty clear had they called the pi our chances of winning would’ve went up and quite a bit.

Missed throws, bad drops, missed assignments, bad penalties and many more are all factors to be weighed. To rule out a missed penalty call as one factor isn’t smart if understanding the reasons you lost is the goal.

You can always point to other factors that you feel are more important. And that’s your opinion. Ruling out bad calls is foolish and it’s being willfully ignorant to a loss factor. That is a fact.

You aren't getting the point. For starters, even if they don't call that hold, you have no idea what happens on the play after that. Or two plays after that. Maybe we score a TD. Or maybe we miss a FG. Or maybe Dak throws a pick. Or maybe Pollard fumbles. Or maybe we get a clear penalty on the next play that stalls the drive.

At the end of the day, that penalty was a minor blip here. The biggest issue was the play that resulted in a total collapse in the 4th Q. That was the single biggest reason we lost, not the hold like the OP is alleging. I mean he's literally said in this thread that the hold was a bigger factor in the loss than the 4th Q play. That's preposterous. And at the end of the day, as has been shown by the other camera angle, it may have actually been the correct call. McGovern clearly has a fistful of jersey on the outside of the DTs waist. That was more a hold than some of you want ot admit.

If you want to complain about penalties, the PI is a way more obvious screw up.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it was because the player went down with 66 still touching him. they always call that as a hold.
most are suspect, but that is how they call it.
I see the same thing in other non cowboy games.
The nfl sees all this yet does nothing, so what does that tell you?
Tells me they like it like that.
They call minor stuff that should not be called, and miss stuff that should be called.
The nfl likes that.
Agreed. They could EASILY employ some hi-tech solutions. But they crave these conspiracies as it keeps them relevant, like a "reality" TV show that isn't really real.

I don;t believe there is any widespread conspiracy, other than to keep it a bit vague....so that we peon masses talk about it.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The BOYS coughed up a 14 point lead in that game. They lost the game themselves, no excuses for that. They didn't play right - period. Of course the officiating was terrible - its the NFL. Watch any game for 10 minutes , you see that.
Coughed up the lead and couldn't score when it matters most. We have to take responsibility for that, regardless if refs calls. You can't blame an entire 4th QTR AND 1st possession of OT *ALL* on the refs.

Well you can...but it's dumb.

Plankton

Reaction score
The BOYS coughed up a 14 point lead in that game. They lost the game themselves, no excuses for that. They didn't play right - period. Of course the officiating was terrible - its the NFL. Watch any game for 10 minutes , you see that.

Impossible. I have read here that terrible officiating only happens in Cowboy games at the expense of the Cowboys.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
OP said it “screwed us” and has argued in this thread it was the biggest factor in the loss.

Turns out after all this BS, it might not have even been that bad a call as McGovern clearly is holding the DTs jersey as Pollard runs by.

Clear BS. I get the average fan doesn't understand half the rules, much less one that's multi-part and then has a long line of exceptions, but you know it's BS when they can't even argue the wording of the rule (because they don't know it) and are just making crap up as they go along to maintain the victim whine.

Mc-G-Hold-GIF1.gif

Sydla

Reaction score
Clear BS. I get the average fan doesn't understand half the rules, much less one that's multi-part and then has a long line of exceptions, but you know it's BS when they can't even argue the wording of the rule (because they don't know it) and are just making crap up as they go along to maintain the victim whine.

Mc-G-Hold-GIF1.gif

Admittedly, from the behind the play camera angle, it looked like a suspect/bad call. But the clip you showed from behind the defense, you can clearly see McGovern grabbing the jersey near his side/waist and he doesn't let go before Pollard gets to that point. It's not surprising a player who committed a foul thinks he didn't commit the foul.

The video you showed, at the very least, indicates that it wasn't nearly the egregious call some here claimed it was. Even if one is gonna argue it looks OK, it's way close enough to see how a ref would call that a hold.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Admittedly, from the behind the play camera angle, it looked like a suspect/bad call. But the clip you showed from behind the defense, you can clearly see McGovern grabbing the jersey near his side/waist and he doesn't let go before Pollard gets to that point. It's not surprising a player who committed a foul thinks he didn't commit the foul.

The video you showed, at the very least, indicates that it wasn't nearly the egregious call some here claimed it was. Even if one is gonna argue it looks OK, it's way close enough to see how a ref would call that a hold.

Well you don't show the detailed replay if you're looking to rile up the paranoid conspiracy crew. You know they aren't going to go looking for the truth and just accept the presented confirmation bias, even if it's deceptive or a lie. But you see the trove of gullible ones it snared. Mission accomplished for the Twit, uh I mean Twitterer.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I believe that's Davis, not Pollard, but I agree. I thought it was a bad call from the first angle, but it's pretty clear from the reverse angle.

Verdict

Reaction score
Agreed, bro. It still is infuriating how that team playing for that QB gets helped so much all of the time. I was glad to see Coach Mike McCarthy so incensed after the game when talking to reporters. Now he understands how it feels to be on an opposing team against the ever officials-helping Packers.

Tom Brady led teams
Packers
Steelers
Giants when they are playing against us

They seem to always get favorable treatment by the officials.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Impossible. I have read here that terrible officiating only happens in Cowboy games at the expense of the Cowboys.

You have read no such thing. You've read people correctly point out that Dallas is hindered more by bad officiating than other teams. This is proven with stats such as the impossible streak of no holding calls against opponents (something like 8 games) and the lack of roughing the passer calls Romo received (something like 2000% less than Brady or Rodgers).

And we have still have people trying to excuse bad officiating because Dallas didn't play a perfect game up to that point. Well, neither did the Packers, but they got ALL of the calls their way in the 4th and OT as usual, while the Cowboys got screwed as usual.

Some of you just don't want to face that your favorite sport is not 100% on the up and up. It would shatter your world view.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
That Dlineman played the refs too. Was very happy his ploy worked. His reaction is one of satisfaction, not anger over being held. Satisfaction that his dive sold the holding call.
Exactly , GB asks refs giveth, how many times GB OL tackles our DL and no call ?

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
You aren't getting the point. For starters, even if they don't call that hold, you have no idea what happens on the play after that. Or two plays after that. Maybe we score a TD. Or maybe we miss a FG. Or maybe Dak throws a pick. Or maybe Pollard fumbles. Or maybe we get a clear penalty on the next play that stalls the drive.

At the end of the day, that penalty was a minor blip here. The biggest issue was the play that resulted in a total collapse in the 4th Q. That was the single biggest reason we lost, not the hold like the OP is alleging. I mean he's literally said in this thread that the hold was a bigger factor in the loss than the 4th Q play. That's preposterous. And at the end of the day, as has been shown by the other camera angle, it may have actually been the correct call. McGovern clearly has a fistful of jersey on the outside of the DTs waist. That was more a hold than some of you want ot admit.

If you want to complain about penalties, the PI is a way more obvious screw up.

I was talking about the Pi miss. The hold was key as well. My point that you won’t accept is all of these calls/non calls, bad play calls, poorly executed plays are all worth discussing and they all play a roll.

We saw the results of the non PI call. It put us in a tough position of converting a 4th. That was the result and it played a key roll in how the game was decided.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
This was the first time in 196 such games that the Cowboys lost when leading by 14 points after three quarters.

I guess the refs forgot to screw them the first 195 times. :rolleyes: