After watching Aaron Donald we could really use something similar

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have seen Aaron Donald in person, in street clothes. He is listed at 6 foot 1 and 285. If he is actually those listed measurements, he is certainly no bigger. My point is, he is not a big hulking guy.

Where did I say he is a big hulking guy? He is the most dominant DT of his generation and the fastest DT of any generation.

Now, if you want to be argumentative, you could say that the OL guys used to be lighter and quicker and todays oversize G's and T's are handicapped against such speed. So, Donalds speed might not have been such an advantage 30-40 years ago.

Guess we will never know. Its all just opinion.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Where did I say he is a big hulking guy? He is the most dominant DT of his generation and the fastest DT of any generation.

Now, if you want to be argumentative, you could say that the OL guys used to be lighter and quicker and todays oversize G's and T's are handicapped against such speed. So, Donalds speed might not have been such an advantage 30-40 years ago.

Guess we will never know. Its all just opinion.
He does have big hulking power for a guy his size.

Lodeus

Reaction score
This is just like the "just draft a hof qb so we can win a super bowl" posts. I wish it was that easy

kskboys

Reaction score
Love Glover..he was very underrated. But Randy was a linebacker...he was versatile and played DT and whatever they asked. Randy w. as drafted as a linebacker. Special player.
Randy was a DT in the NFL. He failed at LB, and then Landry put him at DT where he stayed.

kskboys

Reaction score
We missed on a similar player back in 2016. Jarran Reed. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to who we took instead in the 2nd round????

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Randy was a DT in the NFL. He failed at LB, and then Landry put him at DT where he stayed.

Failed is strong word. He was stuck behind Lee Roy Jordan for 2 years before Landry figured out a way to get him on the field. He played DE in college winning the Outland Trophy. So, DL was his natural position. Landry probably made an error trying to turn him into a LB wasting 2 years of his career.

Fun Fact: Randy played fullback his freshman year at Maryland.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Jarran Reed is a really good player, but a poor man’s Aaron Donald.This is no knock on Jarran, it’s just that AD is that good,a generational type talent.

kskboys

Reaction score
Jarran Reed is a really good player, but a poor man’s Aaron Donald.This is no knock on Jarran, it’s just that AD is that good,a generational type talent.
Absolutely. However, he's the type of player we need upfront.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Says every GM…ever
Does anybody other than me get the feeling that we could really use something similar to that in the middle of our defensive line.
Is there a reason why we can't use a high draft pick on a player that can impact the game like that. He isn't even a real big guy 6-1. 284. This guy has a motor that just won't stop

I don't even think Jerry's horrible culture could stop this guy's motor

Thoughts???

Rayman70

Reaction score
yes I understand. Failed is a strong term. Lets just say, he wasn't very great at LB but had the ability to play there nonetheless. I think Randy could have played in any era and fit any scheme well. Due to his versatility and natural gifts. I guess thats my point. Could u imagine what Dan Quinn or Wink Martindale would have done with him? I miss players like Randy. Mentally and physically gifted on the field. High FB IQ. We have 2 many meatheads on our team.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Failed is strong word. He was stuck behind Lee Roy Jordan for 2 years before Landry figured out a way to get him on the field. He played DE in college winning the Outland Trophy. So, DL was his natural position. Landry probably made an error trying to turn him into a LB wasting 2 years of his career.

Fun Fact: Randy played fullback his freshman year at Maryland.
THANK U^. Well said. I was trying 2 say that.