Agent: Can the Cowboys afford not to give Dak a record-breaking extension

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
In other words, there is no clean way out of this for many fans.......take your pick. Good luck! (lol) This is messy.......

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ive-dak-prescott-a-record-breaking-extension/

Agent's Take: Can Cowboys afford not to give Dak Prescott a record-breaking extension?​

The Cowboys are in a financial pickle when it comes to their franchise QB​

By Joel Corry

54 mins ago•8 min read

The Dallas Cowboys' season came to a shocking end in the wild-card playoff round with a 48-32 home loss to the Green Bay Packers. A No. 7 seed hadn't won a postseason game since the NFL expanded the playoffs to 14 teams in the 2020 season.

Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott took his share of the blame for the historic upset loss. "I sucked tonight, that was it," said Prescott postgame.

Prescott completed 41 of 60 passes (68.3%) for 403 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions, including one for a pick six. The stat line is misleading because Prescott did most of his damage in garbage time. Green Bay's first-year starting quarterback Jordan Love thoroughly outplayed Prescott. After trailing the Packers 48-16 in the fourth quarter, Prescott connected on 17 of 21 passes (81%) for 210 yards with two touchdowns.

There's always a choice. But its not the choice that maybe some here or Jerry want.

You extend him and bring the same team back and try again with a few minor changes.
You let him go and rebuild. A proper rebuild which means getting 1st round talent for guys like Lamb and Micah.

There's one harsh decision. There's one layup decision. Layup decisions is what this team has made for the past 28 years. The other decision is a harsh one that they haven't shown they are willing to do.

But make no mistake this team and organization should not be afraid to let Dak go in fear of getting worse. Because getting worse should not be what you are afraid of. Having 9 All Pro's and losing in the 1st round is what you should be afraid of.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Yep.

If you’re goal is to keep Dak you gotta get Belichick.

If you don’t do that then we know how this ends.

If you can’t win with Belichick then so be it.
Only reason that makes sense if they extend dako and run it back with this circus roster.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We "can't afford" not to give a record breaking deal to a guy who hasn't hit 90 yards by halftime in 4 of his last 5 playoff starts.

Was this article written ghost written by Dak's agent? Good grief.
Well let's put things in perspective. Cowboys get rid of Dak....they probably will go years without finding someone as good as him. Maybe even longer than that. Like I said above, that's not something the should fear but it is a risk. It has to be a proper rebuild where you net a top 5 maybe even top 3 pick. I think since 2000...we've had a top 5 pick what? Once? 2016? None of this will happen if Jerry is here.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He's done. The look on his face after GB scored that first TD told me that. He can't be fixed in Dallas. He needs to go to another team that isn't constantly under the microscope.
At this point I would want to if I was him. He has his endorsements. He reaped the benefits of being a Cowboy. Now go reap them by playing on a team serious about winning. I would get the hell out of here.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Well let's put things in perspective. Cowboys get rid of Dak....they probably will go years without finding someone as good as him. Maybe even longer than that. Like I said above, that's not something the should fear but it is a risk. It has to be a proper rebuild where you net a top 5 maybe even top 3 pick. I think since 2000...we've had a top 5 pick what? Once? 2016? None of this will happen if Jerry is here.
Dak’s level of play isn’t good enough to carry a team to a title.

That’s the problem.

It’s not even good enough to win a divisional round of the playoffs.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think the Jones’s want to keep Dak and if that’s their plan then you go get Belichick.

If your plan is to get rid of Dak then you can bring in whatever coach you want really.

I personally think it’s going to be ridiculously tough to pay Dak and have the surrounding team he needs to win it all and I’ve been saying that since it was time to give him an extension and he keeps proving me right.

With that said he did improve this year and I give McCarthy a ton of credit for that.
JJ would never get along with Belichick. Belichick would demand perfection and JJ does not care about that. Did you see how many fans ran into the stajum before the game? That is all that JJ cares about.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
JJ would never get along with Belichick. Belichick would demand perfection and JJ does not care about that. Did you see how many fans ran into the stajum before the game? That is all that JJ cares about.
I think stuff like this is BS and is a media narrative that stems from Jimmy Johnson getting fired.

That’s never been the case with any coach since.

He worked with Bill Parcellls who was an absolute control freak. I think JJ will
Be fine.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
There's always a choice. But its not the choice that maybe some here or Jerry want.

You extend him and bring the same team back and try again with a few minor changes.
You let him go and rebuild. A proper rebuild which means getting 1st round talent for guys like Lamb and Micah.

There's one harsh decision. There's one layup decision. Layup decisions is what this team has made for the past 28 years. The other decision is a harsh one that they haven't shown they are willing to do.

But make no mistake this team and organization should not be afraid to let Dak go in fear of getting worse. Because getting worse should not be what you are afraid of. Having 9 All Pro's and losing in the 1st round is what you should be afraid of.
I agree ......this is why I think if you let him go, Belichick is your best coach.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Just pay him his last year and let him walk.
This has been my stance a the past year, let Dak play out his contract at that crazy number. For 2 reasons, you'll likely get his best year of production; also, the FO will be free and clear of that big number on the cap to build a the team however a new Coach chooses in '25.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dak’s level of play isn’t good enough to carry a team to a title.

That’s the problem.

It’s not even good enough to win a divisional round of the playoffs.
Its not. But who's is? Nick Foles didn't carry Philly. Eli didn't carry NY. Even Mahomes didn't "carry" KC.

I don't need Dak to "carry" me. I need Dak to be the reason we aren't losing. And that was not the case. I need him to be the reason we are competing. I will not fault Dak for losing to a team 40 to 48. When everyone wanted to get on his cause about losing to Philly I didn't. Because his defense didn't show up and he played relatively well. I need him to take over games like he's shown. I need him to do it against the good teams. And maybe he can't.

But I have a hard time believing Romo couldn't. Dak couldn't. But Eli Manning could....TWICE. Nick Foles could. Trent Dilfer could. Brad Johnson could. Joe Flacco could. Cam Newton could.

And maybe they can. I've come to grips that Romo and Dak probably could've won anywhere else. But not in Dallas. Jerry has created a monster that no one could win in.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
This has been my stance a the past year, let Dak play out his contract at that crazy number. For 2 reasons, you'll likely get his best year of production; also, the FO will be free and clear of that big number on the cap to build a the team however a new Coach chooses in '25.
If you don't just eat it now the number is just going to be bigger in the last year of his next contract.

Kwyn

Reaction score
In other words, there is no clean way out of this for many fans.......take your pick. Good luck! (lol) This is messy.......

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ive-dak-prescott-a-record-breaking-extension/

Agent's Take: Can Cowboys afford not to give Dak Prescott a record-breaking extension?​

The Cowboys are in a financial pickle when it comes to their franchise QB​

By Joel Corry

54 mins ago•8 min read

The Dallas Cowboys' season came to a shocking end in the wild-card playoff round with a 48-32 home loss to the Green Bay Packers. A No. 7 seed hadn't won a postseason game since the NFL expanded the playoffs to 14 teams in the 2020 season.

Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott took his share of the blame for the historic upset loss. "I sucked tonight, that was it," said Prescott postgame.

Prescott completed 41 of 60 passes (68.3%) for 403 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions, including one for a pick six. The stat line is misleading because Prescott did most of his damage in garbage time. Green Bay's first-year starting quarterback Jordan Love thoroughly outplayed Prescott. After trailing the Packers 48-16 in the fourth quarter, Prescott connected on 17 of 21 passes (81%) for 210 yards with two touchdowns.

This article should be must read for the zone.

There are no easy answers as much as some of our posters wish it were otherwise

Mikexike

Reaction score
Blow it up. Better to lose and learn than learn to lose. This guy plays small in big games and is limited in his abilities. Good defenses and coaches don’t fear #4
Id rather lose with someone else under center, I actually think it would be so much more entertaining for the fans if someone new was under center.