Agent: Can the Cowboys afford not to give Dak a record-breaking extension

baltcowboy

Reaction score
In other words, there is no clean way out of this for many fans.......take your pick. Good luck! (lol) This is messy.......

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ive-dak-prescott-a-record-breaking-extension/

Agent's Take: Can Cowboys afford not to give Dak Prescott a record-breaking extension?​

The Cowboys are in a financial pickle when it comes to their franchise QB​

By Joel Corry

54 mins ago•8 min read

The Dallas Cowboys' season came to a shocking end in the wild-card playoff round with a 48-32 home loss to the Green Bay Packers. A No. 7 seed hadn't won a postseason game since the NFL expanded the playoffs to 14 teams in the 2020 season.

Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott took his share of the blame for the historic upset loss. "I sucked tonight, that was it," said Prescott postgame.

Prescott completed 41 of 60 passes (68.3%) for 403 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions, including one for a pick six. The stat line is misleading because Prescott did most of his damage in garbage time. Green Bay's first-year starting quarterback Jordan Love thoroughly outplayed Prescott. After trailing the Packers 48-16 in the fourth quarter, Prescott connected on 17 of 21 passes (81%) for 210 yards with two touchdowns.

You don’t have to give these players anything. You don’t have to extend CeeDee or Parsons. Green Bay took an 80 million dollar cap hit for Rodgers this season. Tampa has 80 million + of dead money on their books. The Cowboys can cut Dak today and be ok on the cap. Denver is about to cut Russ and eat his extension.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Did you even read the post? I verbatim said he can't carry the Cowboys. But he shouldn't be asked too either. You can cover your ears but its the truth. I know for some fans...its easier for you guys to pretend like playing the QB position is all you need. So many good QB's...so many great QB's without a ring....Phillip Rivers, Tony Romo, Dan Marino, Warren Moon....why? What did Romo have that Eli Manning didn't? Beause he couldn't "carry" his team?

The NFL shows you what it takes to win. They show you year in and out. When guys like Joe Flacco and Matt Stafford win rings they show you. And you guys still just completely miss it. I don't understand it. Not sure if its just an age gap thing or what.
When you give QBs this type of money the rest of the team suffers so they are asked to do more.

Just the way it is.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
When you give QBs this type of money the rest of the team suffers so they are asked to do more.

Just the way it is.
So what quarterback is carrying their team? What am I missing? What team is winning solely because their QB carries them?

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Of course there's a way out. The dead $$ is not that big a deal, they can make up half of that simply by cutting him. TB made the playoffs this year, and is still alive, without spending much $, and carrying over $80 million in dead $.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Well let's put things in perspective. Cowboys get rid of Dak....they probably will go years without finding someone as good as him. Maybe even longer than that. Like I said above, that's not something the should fear but it is a risk. It has to be a proper rebuild where you net a top 5 maybe even top 3 pick. I think since 2000...we've had a top 5 pick what? Once? 2016? None of this will happen if Jerry is here.
I agree with most of what you said except that it would take years to find someone as good as him.

Again I don't want to get into a tit for tat bash Dak fest but go back to my previous post.
would it really take years to find a guy who can't crack the 90 yard barrier 4 out of 5 post season games?

asking honestly. If it was one bad game, then maybe it's an outlier.
It's literally 80% of his last 5 post season starts. It's officially a trend and a bad one.

I honestly don't think that is too difficult to replace. I know I'm going to get lambasted on this, but I would bet you every dollar in my bank account that if Cooper Rush had started all 5 of those games, he would have done as well or better, cumulatively, in the first halves. And I'm 100% serious.

that is not irreplaceable, and to me, I look at it as we can't afford *to* pay him $60 million a year for that. I understand you disagree and that's all good.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So what quarterback is carrying their team? What am I missing? What team is winning solely because their QB carries them?
I’m not playing this stupid game on this forum anymore.

If you still think paying Dak is the recipe for success go on. But don’t sell your trash opinion to someone that pays attention like me.

Flamma

Reaction score
We all saw this coming with his contract. The Cowboys have two choices, one of which isn't letting him play out his last year. They can't absorb the 60M cap hit. He has to either be a June 1st cut, or get extended. What do you think Jerry is going to do? He's getting an extension. BigMac is most likely still going to be head coach.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Math is hard even when it’s explained in simple terms
??

Not really. You overpay for a poor product, it's going to hurt to cut ties sooner or later.
How long to you continue kicking the can down the road. Because sooner or later, there is still a reckoning for overpaying. Either now, in 4 years, whatever.

Pay him now and in 4 years you have this same exact conversation
"Contract is end loaded, can't afford to cut him now, would be too a big a hit"

Blah blah blah. Math isn't hard for Jerry.
Admitting he was wrong is what's hard for him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I’m not playing this stupid game on this forum anymore.

If you still think paying Dak is the recipe for success go on. But don’t sell your trash opinion to someone that pays attention like me.
Oh please. The same person who watched Carson Wentz? The same one who watched Micah Parsons and said he's the next Jaylon Smith? Please. You can't even read a simple sentence so i'm not sure if you are even capable of paying attention. I don't need you to tell me what I know. I watch more football then you can think of.And you know what? I for sure as hell knew that Micah Parsons wouldn't be the next Jaylon Smith like 99% of this site. You can't answer the simple question so you deflect. fair enough. The answer is no one carries their team. Stafford didn't carry the Rams, Dilfer didn't carry the Ravens, Foles didn't carry the Eagles. They helped their teams win and played good football. I answered the question for you. Now go back to holier than thou attitude and keep trying to trick people into thinking you know football.

Kwyn

Reaction score
??

Not really. You overpay for a poor product, it's going to hurt to cut ties sooner or later.
How long to you continue kicking the can down the road. Because sooner or later, there is still a reckoning for overpaying. Either now, in 4 years, whatever.

Pay him now and in 4 years you have this same exact conversation
"Contract is end loaded, can't afford to cut him now, would be too a big a hit"

Blah blah blah. Math isn't hard for Jerry.
Admitting he was wrong is what's hard for him.
Ok. Promise not to complain when we are starting the next Quincy Carter in five years and finishing 7-10?

At least you can say we tried.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Get rid of Dak by whatever means possible.
Then you run the risk of being out of the playoff race with several games left in the season. If you don’t think that would be any worse than what we’re experiencing now then you’ve never been through it as a fan. Nothing more depressing than watching your team play out a season with nothing to play for but a high draft pick with several games left. If you think fans are moaning and groaning now, this is nothing compared to watching your team struggle through a regular season with no hope for the playoffs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ok. Promise not to complain when we are starting the next Quincy Carter in five years and finishing 7-10?

At least you can say we tried.
Why would we get the next Quincy? I mean its not like the same guy who drafted Quincy is here now...oh wait. He is lol.

They have confidence that the guy who drafted Quincy I guess simply made a mistake. It was awhile ago......

Also wanted Johnny Manziel regretted taking him over Zack Martin.

JustChip

Reaction score
You think Belichick can fix Dak, after eight years? You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it swim.
He wouldn’t have to fix Dak. What he would have to do is structure the rest of the team to complement or compensate. Dak played horrible, but he wasn’t alone. Honestly, not even the greatest problem.

What I would hope that Belichick would bring is a culture and toughness that Parcells brought. There’ll be some limit to what he can change, but I have zero doubt that the team wouldn’t take the field in a playoff game with less than 100% effort and commitment.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Oh please. The same person who watched Carson Wentz? The same one who watched Micah Parsons and said he's the next Jaylon Smith? Please. You can't even read a simple sentence so i'm not sure if you are even capable of paying attention. I don't need you to tell me what I know. I watch more football then you can think of.And you know what? I for sure as hell knew that Micah Parsons wouldn't be the next Jaylon Smith like 99% of this site. You can't answer the simple question so you deflect. fair enough. The answer is no one carries their team. Stafford didn't carry the Rams, Dilfer didn't carry the Ravens, Foles didn't carry the Eagles. They helped their teams win and played good football. I answered the question for you. Now go back to holier than thou attitude and keep trying to trick people into thinking you know football.
Bro.. I’m right and I’m not happy about being right.

But Dak needs so much supporting cast to ever win a title if that’s the actual goal.

His level of play was outstanding this year. He far exceeded my expectations.

Still.. 1 and done.

conner01

Reaction score
In other words, there is no clean way out of this for many fans.......take your pick. Good luck! (lol) This is messy.......

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ive-dak-prescott-a-record-breaking-extension/

Agent's Take: Can Cowboys afford not to give Dak Prescott a record-breaking extension?​

The Cowboys are in a financial pickle when it comes to their franchise QB​

By Joel Corry

54 mins ago•8 min read

The Dallas Cowboys' season came to a shocking end in the wild-card playoff round with a 48-32 home loss to the Green Bay Packers. A No. 7 seed hadn't won a postseason game since the NFL expanded the playoffs to 14 teams in the 2020 season.

Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott took his share of the blame for the historic upset loss. "I sucked tonight, that was it," said Prescott postgame.

Prescott completed 41 of 60 passes (68.3%) for 403 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions, including one for a pick six. The stat line is misleading because Prescott did most of his damage in garbage time. Green Bay's first-year starting quarterback Jordan Love thoroughly outplayed Prescott. After trailing the Packers 48-16 in the fourth quarter, Prescott connected on 17 of 21 passes (81%) for 210 yards with two touchdowns.

That’s what I’ve talked about for months. We are 20 mil over the cap right now. Trading Micah, lamb or anyone on first contract doesn’t have a huge effect on that because they don’t make a ton of money in relation to the whole cap. Most want to move on from Dak but you have to have a plan on how to do that and it’s really complicated

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree with most of what you said except that it would take years to find someone as good as him.

Again I don't want to get into a tit for tat bash Dak fest but go back to my previous post.
would it really take years to find a guy who can't crack the 90 yard barrier 4 out of 5 post season games?

asking honestly. If it was one bad game, then maybe it's an outlier.
It's literally 80% of his last 5 post season starts. It's officially a trend and a bad one.

I honestly don't think that is too difficult to replace. I know I'm going to get lambasted on this, but I would bet you every dollar in my bank account that if Cooper Rush had started all 5 of those games, he would have done as well or better, cumulatively, in the first halves. And I'm 100% serious.

that is not irreplaceable, and to me, I look at it as we can't afford *to* pay him $60 million a year for that. I understand you disagree and that's all good.
No it wouldn't but make no mistake I don't think Dak is a 90 yard a game guy in the playoffs. He's shown it time and time again he's not. HE struggled against San Fran and now the Packers. That's 3 games.

His play in recent playoff games isn't not hard to replace. Rush could probably do it.

But the guy did just get 2nd team All Pro. We devalue Pro Bowls...but you can't devalue All Pro. It means he was the 2nd best QB in the league. Now I have to add this because when I bring this up as context I have to clarify its just that and not hyping him up. The guy just quarterbacked you to 12 wins. And no, that's not the goal. But it does mean something. You had home field for the first two rounds. That's all you ask for. Well I mean that or getting home field throughout.

So yes it can get worse. And like I said, you shouldn't be afraid of it getting worse. Especially when you just lost in the wild card. but make no mistake it could get worse. Especially when the guy is Jerry Jones and he's the head of the snake that wanted Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook over Dak. No matter how you feel about Dak....he's simply better than those guys.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He wouldn’t have to fix Dak. What he would have to do is structure the rest of the team to complement or compensate. Dak played horrible, but he wasn’t alone. Honestly, not even the greatest problem.

What I would hope that Belichick would bring is a culture and toughness that Parcells brought. There’ll be some limit to what he can change, but I have zero doubt that the team wouldn’t take the field in a playoff game with less than 100% effort and commitment.
I here you...but, IMO...I really don't think it would happen or even be a good fit. JJ is not going to ever give up his ways to a hard headed coach like Parcells was again. The Boy Scouts are all coming back next season. Get used to it or...(go root for another team you eagle fan)! lol

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Bro.. I’m right and I’m not happy about being right.

But Dak needs so much supporting cast to ever win a title if that’s the actual goal.

His level of play was outstanding this year. He far exceeded my expectations.

Still.. 1 and done.
You're good man you can go now. I'm not interested in the back and forth. Don’t sell your trash opinion to someone that pays attention like me.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I 100% agree with you that no QB “Carries” teams to superbowls.

That being said, the biggest issue I have is Dak has been awful in the playoffs. It’s a trend now that can’t be ignored. I’m not asking him or any QB to “carry” the team in the playoffs but recently he has been actively hurting the team in the playoffs.

That’s why I personally am ready to move on.