Agree or Disagree?Everson Walls was best CB in Dallas ever

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
juckie;2306128 said:
In 1981, 1982 and 1985 he led the NFL in interceptions.
To me that's a mind-blower.

Most Seasons Leading League

3 Everson Walls, Dallas, 1981-82, 1985

2 Dick (Night Train) Lane, Los Angeles, 1952; Chi. Cardinals, 1954
Jack Christiansen, Detroit, 1953, 1957
Milt Davis, Baltimore, 1957, 1959
Dick Lynch, N.Y. Giants, 1961, 1963
Johnny Robinson, Kansas City, 1966, 1970
Bill Bradley, Philadelphia, 1971-72
Emmitt Thomas, Kansas City, 1969, 1974
Ronnie Lott, San Francisco, 1986; L.A. Raiders, 1991
Rod Woodson, Baltimore, 1999; Oakland, 2002
Ty Law, New England, 1998; N.Y. Jets, 2005

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
1. Mel Renfro

2. Everson Walls

3. Deion Sanders (only during his Cowboys days)

Everson Walls might be the most underrated CB of all time.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Mel Renfro, hands down.

But Deion makes the All-Time Dallas Cowboys roster at the opposite corner. The third CB would be Cornell Green w/out question.

Everson Walls would be get honorable mention though, maybe even the Pup, Kevin Smith.

Herb Adderly was great, no doubt. But his greatness was when he was a PACKER, not a Cowboy. Otherwise, he likely edges Primetime for the 2nd corner spot on the All-Time Cowboys' roster.

And Charlie Waters has no place on this list. Waters is not even in the top 3 for All-Time best Cowboys' safeties.

jem88

Reaction score
All great players. But the coolest was undoubtedly Issaic Holt!

juck

Reaction score
Hostile;2306179 said:
Mel Renfro

14 years in the NFL.

10 years an All Pro.

52 Career INTs.

Also was great as a KR and PR and in 1966 was even used as a RB and WR.

Hall of Fame.

There's no comparison. Deion is better than him as the best pure cover CB ever, but no one who ever donned a Cowboys jersey to play CB has better claim.

Oh, and I did forget Cornell Green which is a travesty. His nephew posts here and I think he should be a HOFer.

Everson Walls had 57,Renfro 52.Stated from Eversons website.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
juckie;2306289 said:
How many times was Everson an All Pro? Tell me about how he did on KRs and PRs. Tell me about how he also played Offense.

If the only thing you care about is # of INTs then you must want to tell me Paul Krause is the greatest DB ever. Is that what you want to tell me? Please tell me you aren't trying to go there with me.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
juckie;2306289 said:

He only had 44 as a cowboy.

Renfro had 3 returns for a td and is the cowboys all time leader in int yardage at 624.

and just to show how good renfro was, he had 10 in 1969...1 shy of what walls had in 81.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Hostile;2306300 said:
How many times was Everson an All Pro? Tell me about how he did on KRs and PRs. Tell me about how he also played Offense.

If the only thing you care about is # of INTs then you must want to tell me Paul Krause is the greatest DB ever. Is that what you want to tell me? Please tell me you aren't trying to go there with me.

Walls is still the only CB in NFL history to lead the NFL in INTs 3 different seasons (I think that's what it is).

He's also still the all time leader in Pro Bowl INTs (so he must have made a few).

And what do KR/PR have to do with it? The title of the thread is "Agree or Disagree?Everson Walls was best CB in Dallas ever". According to this site he only had 1 punt return in his career, and no kick returns. He was a CB, not a special teamer.

Also, he was a key part of the defense on that 1990 giants team that won the superbowl that year (6 ints, 1 TD). Tell me, you think Parcells would have a CB on his defense that was only good at picking off passes? You and I both know that's not the case.

That said, I've already stated in this thread that Renfro was #1, but Walls was pretty freakin' good too and IMO deserves to be in the HoF.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theebs;2306308 said:
He only had 44 as a cowboy.

Renfro had 3 returns for a td and is the cowboys all time leader in int yardage at 624.

and just to show how good renfro was, he had 10 in 1969...1 shy of what walls had in 81.

"Only"?

Yeah he "only" had 44 ints as a cowboy... he sucks.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Rack;2306341 said:
"Only"?

Yeah he "only" had 44 ints as a cowboy... he sucks.

everson walls and bill bates were my favorite players growing up. at my parents house I still have a huge everson walls poster somewhere in my attic.

I said only 44 as a cowboy because he had more when he left, 44 is what he had here not 57. It wasnt meant as a negative for crying out loud.

the original question was is he the best cornerback in cowboys history and the op means to prove that was his int total. yet he is not even the all time int leader and is not the post season leader either.

mel renfro is clearly the best cb in the history of the team.

I love walls. I remember being torn in the 90 sb, I wanted the bills to win, but I really really wanted to see everson get a ring.

juck

Reaction score
Hostile;2306300 said:

I dont care about kick or punt returns or offense I am discussing CBs on defense.Walls made a play on the ball and getting an interception is the best thing a CB can do.If we had him in his rookie year now we would have won it all last year and this year easily.Turnovers mean everything.How can you disagree with this?yes i am going there with u.suck on these stats mr. know it all.

4x Pro Bowl selection (1981, 1982, 1983, 1985)
4x All-Pro selection (1982, 1983, 1984, 1985)
1x Super Bowl champion (XXV)
Led NFL in interceptions in 1981 with 11
Led NFL in interceptions in 1982 with 7
Led NFL in interceptions in 1985 with 9

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
juckie;2306451 said:
I dont care about kick or punt returns or offense I am discussing CBs on defense.Walls made a play on the ball and getting an interception is the best thing a CB can do.If we had him in his rookie year now we would have won it all last year and this year easily.Turnovers mean everything.How can you disagree with this?yes i am going there with u.suck on these stats mr. know it all.

So, Paul Krause is the greatest DB ever in your book. 81 career INTs, most in NFL HIstory.

That's all you had to say.

:lmao2:

No really....:lmao2:

I love Everson Walls, and I admire his penchant for INTs, but I'd take Deion, who teams were afraid to even throw at, over him. Renfro was everything you are talking about with Walls, plus a KR and a PR. You and Rack want to pretend that doesn't matter, be my guest. It's part of what makes Adam Jones valuable and you both know it even if you want to play games.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
juckie;2306451 said:

your argument is predicated on INT. And walls doesnt even have as many as mel renfro, nor was he as versatile a player. Renfro even has more post season interceptions. How can you continue the argument? Renfro had 10 picks in 1969, not much different than walls 11 in 81.

I mean...U know....???

jem88

Reaction score
I feel very unfortunate not to have seen Mel Renfro play. Sounds like he was a hell of a player, and by all indications can lay legitimate claim along with Deion to being the best the Boys have had.

I've certainly seen some great ones in my time: Everson Walls, Kevin Smith, Ike Holt, Deion Sanders, Terence Newman. Not many teams are blessed with that kind of talent/coolness over the years.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theebs;2306520 said:
your argument is predicated on INT. And walls doesnt even have as many as mel renfro, nor was he as versatile a player. Renfro even has more post season interceptions. How can you continue the argument? Renfro had 10 picks in 1969, not much different than walls 11 in 81.

I mean...U know....???
Yes, there is. Renfro played his entire career in 14 game seasons.

Walls played his entire career in 16 game seasons.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Hostile;2306535 said:
Yes, there is. Renfro played his entire career in 14 game seasons.

Walls played his entire career in 16 game seasons.

Thats true, but to be fair though, renfro was at free safety. He wasnt moved to corner until 1970. He had 30 ints as a free safety and 22 as a cb.

From what I have read Landry "called him the best fs he had ever seen". To be moved to CB in your 7th season and to continue to excel is pretty remarkable. It usually works in the reverse order, like in Walls case.

also from what I have read teams just ignored renfro at cb, much like Deion and green in washington.