Agree or Disagree?Everson Walls was best CB in Dallas ever

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
A lot of people don't know (or don't care) that Walls is the only person to ever lead the league in interceptions three different seasons.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2305932 said:
Walls was great, Deion was super. Deion forced teams to play on one side of the field and once Deion had the ball the guy was as dangerous as any CB I have seen
Yeah he was when he had the ball. I hated how he would carry it though. The guy just refused to tuck the ball away in the bread basket.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2305980 said:
Yeah he was when he had the ball. I hated how he would carry it though. The guy just refused to tuck the ball away in the bread basket.

I don't recall him have any fumble issues though. Be in on a kick return, punt return or int returns. However one of the best runs I saw him make was on a reverse when Dallas played Philly in the playoffs. Deion was looked like he was about to run into a brick wall, reversed field again, saw an opening and took it to the house.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Completely disagree.

Mel Renfro
Herb Adderly
Deion Sanders

All were better.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Hostile;2305991 said:
Completely disagree.

Mel Renfro
Herb Adderly
Deion Sanders

All were better.

Adderly was a better player than Walls. Walls was a better Cowboys' player. Herb only only played in Dallas for 3 years, so that is what gives the edge to Everson.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Deion easily.... and Renfro was better than Walls as some have said.

DFWJC

Reaction score
juckie;2305829 said:
I think he was.The man picked off more balls than should be legal.Deion was great too but not Walls.

Walls was always getting torched...you have a selective memory on this one.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2305984 said:
I don't recall him have any fumble issues though. Be in on a kick return, punt return or int returns. However one of the best runs I saw him make was on a reverse when Dallas played Philly in the playoffs. Deion was looked like he was about to run into a brick wall, reversed field again, saw an opening and took it to the house.

I don't recall him fumbling too much, either. Deion had 13 fumbles(5 in Dallas) and lost 5 of them(2 in Dallas). That was on 495 touches counting interception, punt returns, kick returns, receptions, rushes, recovered fumbles and 2 pass attempts. One fumble every 38 touches.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hostile;2305991 said:
Completely disagree.

Mel Renfro
Herb Adderly
Deion Sanders

All were better.

Yep. Also Cornell Green. And Charlie Waters may have been better although most probably remember him as a safety.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2305984 said:
He did not fumble much. He just had a very unorthodox way of carrying the ball.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2306013 said:
He did not fumble much. He just had a very unorthodox way of carrying the ball.

Many things Deion did was unorthodox. :laugh2: He was like the Ali of Football. Brash, loud mouth and yet back it up

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Everson Walls was a really good player but never gets the credit he deserves because of "The Catch" and he he played primarily during the 80s.

Im glad he was able to win a Super Bowl with the Giants.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
jobberone;2306010 said:
Yep. Also Cornell Green. And Charlie Waters may have been better although most probably remember him as a safety.

Charlie Waters was not a better cornerback than Everson Walls.

Its kind of ridiculous to even say that.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2306017 said:
Many things Deion did was unorthodox. :laugh2: He was like the Ali of Football. Brash, loud mouth and yet back it up
true that. He is still my favorite corner of all time.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2306029 said:
Charlie Waters was not a better cornerback than Everson Walls.

Its kind of ridiculous to even say that.

Oh yeah. Until he injured his knee CW was a pretty good CB. He may have been a better safety than CB but to state the idea is ridiculous is well.....ridiculous. Walls got his share of INTs but he also was relatively slow, not really that quick, and got beat his share. I love the guy and was po'ed he got canned.

Neither one are in the ROH. Maybe I'm hung up on him playing when I was an early Cowboy's fan. Or because he went to Clemson. Maybe it's because I played against him. Or that his brother is a good friend. But I stand by my assessment of Charlie.

juck

Reaction score
Deion was the best cover man,but he never tackled anyone and didnt pick off many balls.Walls INts are sick.11 picks his rookie season and he was undrafted.Please if we got that from a cb now he would be the "best" in the league.Yes 11.

At the end of his college career, Walls attended the Cowboy’s training camp as a free agent. He made the squad in 1981 and donned the “blue-starred” #24 jersey. His eight years with the Cowboys is filled with accolades and accomplishments. In his rookie year, he broke the single season record with 11 interceptions. He was named to the Pro Bowl team in 1981, 1982, 1983 and 1985. In 1981, 1982 and 1985 he led the NFL in interceptions. In 1986, he was the youngest player named to the Cowboys 25th Year Anniversary Team, and in 1987 he was named Cowboy’s Man of the Year.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Mel Renfro, cornell green and charlie waters wre just as good.

renfro had 52 career int. walls had 44 and waters 41.

plus mel renfro was a punt returner.

and when it comes to the postseason, charlie waters had 9 picks and renfro 4. walls had 3.

and you cant forget dennis thurman.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Mel Renfro

14 years in the NFL.

10 years an All Pro.

52 Career INTs.

Also was great as a KR and PR and in 1966 was even used as a RB and WR.

Hall of Fame.

There's no comparison. Deion is better than him as the best pure cover CB ever, but no one who ever donned a Cowboys jersey to play CB has better claim.

Oh, and I did forget Cornell Green which is a travesty. His nephew posts here and I think he should be a HOFer.