Aikman is a better QB than Dak Prescott

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Were you following the Cowboys during Roger Staubach’s career? I followed his entire career and Troy Aikman’s, and in my opinion Roger Staubach was better. Every NFL all-time ranking I’ve seen has Staubach ranked ahead of Aikman.

Sinister

Reaction score
Assuming he could stand in and take the punishment. The game was immensely more physical in the 90's. The way you could hit the QB to the way the DB/WR physical play disrupted routes and timing.
I remember Tom Waddle (Bears WR) playing over the middle of the field and just getting smacked around. One of my favorite players, he was a tough son of a gun. He retired due to leg injuries, but I wouldn't have been surprised if he didn't have brain damage from the punishment he took.

Mr_Slicky

Reaction score
I am growing tired of all these new Cowboy fans on the internet praising Dak and trying to discredit Aikman. Aikman is an absolute legend and watching him back in the day was an honor. I know some people here don’t like me and that’s fine but I think we can all agree that Aikman was a bonafide legend and had more guts than Dak ever had! Im old enough to remember the glory days of the Cowboys and I just want to see this team to return to their former glory. Call me a troll, I don’t care!!! I’ve even seen posts on here from people claiming Aikman wasn’t that good and he rode his team’s coattails. Aikman was a true Cowboy and one of my favorite Cowboys. They don’t make QBs like him anymore. Yeehaw!!
Aikman played his absolute best during the playoffs. I don’t remember Aikman ever being the reason the cowboys lost the playoff game. Dak may have better stats, but those two losses to the 49ers in back to back years are part of his legacy now.

GINeric

Reaction score
Wait. Wut?!?!?? o_O

Who on earth is claiming that Dak is better than Aikman?

If there is anyone, they need to have their head examined!

I'm sitting here thinking the same thing. Who in the hell would say something that stupid? Stevie Wonder could see that Aikman was EXTREMELY better than Dak.

I think this thread is just another creative way to discredit Dak and take another weak shot at him. These guys are getting creative with their methods to discredit a quarterback.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Aikman played his absolute best during the playoffs. I don’t remember Aikman ever being the reason the cowboys lost the playoff game. Dak may have better stats, but those two losses to the 49ers in back to back years are part of his legacy now.
Aikman had some bad playoff performances. He was absolutely awful in the 20-7 playoff loss to the Cardinals in 1998. He only completed 44% of his passes and threw three INT’s. His passer rating was 37.0. He was terrible against Carolina in the playoff loss to the Panthers the year prior in 97. He only passed for 165 yards and had 3 INT‘s. His passer rating was 37.4. Those two playoff losses were worse than any Dak has suffered. Aikman lost his last three straight playoff games, and the last two against Carolina and Arizona were miserable. When the team started to decline he began to struggle. He was a great QB, but a lot of his success was due to playing on some great teams. When his teams weren’t as good neither was he.

Legend

Reaction score
“Troy Aikman had a passer rating of 106.3 with 2,915 yards, 21 touchdowns and 8 interceptions in 11 games in the playoffs between the 1992 and 1995 seasons.”

He won his first 7 playoff games as a starter and went 10-1 in those 11 games.

“Troy Aikman had a passer rating of 111.9 with 689 yards, 5 touchdowns and 1 interception in 3 games in Super Bowls in his career.”

Legend

Reaction score
Aikman had some bad playoff performances. He was absolutely awful in the 20-7 playoff loss to the Cardinals in 1998. He only completed 44% of his passes and threw three INT’s. His passer rating was 37.0. He was terrible against Carolina in the playoff loss to the Panthers the year prior in 97. He only passed for 165 yards and had 3 INT‘s. His passer rating was 37.4. Those two playoff losses were worse than any Dak has suffered. Aikman lost his last three straight playoff games, and the last two against Carolina and Arizona were miserable. When the team started to decline he began to struggle. He was a great QB, but a lot of his success was due to playing on some great teams. When his teams weren’t as good neither was he.
You are using past prime Aikman’s playoff stats instead of his first 11 playoff starts where he went 10-1 with 3 SBs and 1 SB MVP.

The reason the Cowboys and Aikman fell off is because Jerry Jones ran off Jimmy Johnson and hired coaches like Barry Switzer, Chan Gailey, and so on while implementing the Cowboys “soft” country club culture.

Aikman describes the Cowboys downfall in the video below

The last time the Cowboys won a divisional round playoff game is when Aikman was the starting QB.

starfan1

Reaction score
Lol what a joke of a thread aikman is the second best qb to don the star Dak sits behind Danny white and Romo as well.

That said Troy damn sure benefited from the best cowboy team ever and great coaching. I won’t sit here and say that any of the top QBs the boys have had wouldn’t have done well

But hey this thread was like cheese to a mouse and the usuals are wiping their whiskers

Legend

Reaction score
Romo is better than both :cool:
Romo is not better than Aikman.

Romo only won 2 playoff games (both wild card) in his career.

Aikman never lost to wild card teams in the playoffs during his 3 SBs in 4 years run; like Romo did in the 2007 playoffs with 12 fellow pro bowl players including two first team all pros on offense.

Aikman was a key reason why the Cowboys jumped out to big leads in the divisional round playoff games (in at least 3 of the 4 games).

1992 Divisional round: 34-3

1993 Divisional round: 24-3

1994 Divisional round: 21-3

1995 Divisional round: 30-3

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I am growing tired of all these new Cowboy fans on the internet praising Dak and trying to discredit Aikman. Aikman is an absolute legend and watching him back in the day was an honor. I know some people here don’t like me and that’s fine but I think we can all agree that Aikman was a bonafide legend and had more guts than Dak ever had! Im old enough to remember the glory days of the Cowboys and I just want to see this team to return to their former glory. Call me a troll, I don’t care!!! I’ve even seen posts on here from people claiming Aikman wasn’t that good and he rode his team’s coattails. Aikman was a true Cowboy and one of my favorite Cowboys. They don’t make QBs like him anymore. Yeehaw!!
Nobody is doing that. Aikman and Staubach are off limits and any QB comparison unless it is between Aikman and Staubach.

Nobody is comparing Dak 4th Round no NFC Championship loss to Mr. Irrelevant Prescott to Troy Troy Boy Robocop Great 8 4 straight NFC Championship 3 time Super Bowl Champion Aikman. No No Noobody...

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Thats because you dont understand team football. Let me ask you this................................

If Dak was surrounded by the team that Aikman had with Jimmy as the HC would the Cowboys get to the championship game in his career?
I’m actually a person who’s been really fair on Dak and the answer is No! Aikman played in an era where DBs mauled WRs and they threw less. He won in the playoffs because he was one of the most accurate playoff passers in history…especially on the quick release routes. That’s fact

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You are using past prime Aikman’s playoff stats instead of his first 11 playoff starts where he went 10-1 with 3 SBs and 1 SB MVP.

The reason the Cowboys and Aikman fell off is because Jerry Jones ran off Jimmy Johnson and hired coaches like Barry Switzer, Chan Gailey, and so on while implementing the Cowboys “soft” country club culture.

Aikman describes the Cowboys downfall in the video below

The last time the Cowboys won a divisional round playoff game is when Aikman was the starting QB.

Even at the beginning of his career he struggled to win games when he didn’t have good teams. He was only two years removed from his last Super Bowl win when he had the stinker against Carolina in the playoffs. I’m not trying to take anything away from him, he was a great QB, but the point is if you don’t have the right team around you you’re going to struggle no matter who you are. Everyone puts all the blame on Dak for the Cowboys struggles in the playoffs, but the fact is they haven’t had good enough teams. When Aikman was forced to shoulder the load in the playoffs it got ugly.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Yep, nothing like the best run game in the NFL, best Oline, the #1 all time yards leader at RB and the #1 defense in the NFL in your pocket. And a master motivator in Jimmy J.

Everyone in the playoffs was to do 1 thing and that was to stack the box and stop Emmitt Smith. So Aikman made a living throwing off play action to wide open receivers. That was until SF got a huge lead that one year.
Dak has loaded teams in a league that basically lets QBs put up numbers. You’re making up stuff. And I’m not a Dak hater. I’m one of the normal people who think he’s 50/50 and realize he’s great/bad atl at once

Nemesis4u

Reaction score
Romos the best qb ive ever seen wear a cowboys uniform. I never watched Staubach play so I cant say hes the best cowboys qb ever. Id take him over both aikman and prescott.

Legend

Reaction score
Romos the best qb ive ever seen wear a cowboys uniform. I never watched Staubach play so I cant say hes the best cowboys qb ever. Id take him over both aikman and prescott.
Romo is not a HOF QB.

Could not win in the playoffs.

His first 6 playoff games as a starter he went 2-4.

Aikman went 6-0 with 2 SBs and 1 SB MVP.

What playoff game does Romo have that compares to this game?

Nemesis4u

Reaction score
Romo is not a HOF QB.

Could not win in the playoffs.

His first 6 playoff games as a starter he went 2-4.

Aikman went 6-0 with 2 SBs and 1 SB MVP.
Aikman has publically admitted several times Romo was a better qb then him. Even one interview I saw where a guy asked him if hes just being humble and he said no that Romo could read the field better then him and that the only thing aikman had over romo was a little bit better accuracy but thats it. Aikmans rings were bought by jerry jones in a non salary cap era. If rings are the end all then I suppose flacco is better then marino.

stuckindc

Reaction score
True....

But also Aikman was probably a pretty honest player.

Brady being the horrible cheater he is with 0 conscience, imagine the trickery he coulda gotten away with back in those days when people weren't really looking out for scumbag cheaters and technology wasn't what it is today? He coulda rigged the scoreboard to add 7pts to his team during halftime, and won every game for 10 straight years!

Aikman would not be able to keep up with him in that regard.
Pure ignorance