Aikman or Cunningham

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
I am having a discussion about Randall Cunningham & Troy Aikman.
My bud say's Aikman was good because of the curl patterns the WR's used and because of his supporting cast,O-line,Smith,Irvin etc.
He says Randall would have won in Dallas but Aikman would have got pounded in Philly.

What do you guys think? I know Randall was the better athlete but I also Know Aikman was the better QB! This is what my friend says....

Not all QBs look bad when the protection breaks down. Randall was often at his best in exactly that situation. In fact, Randall started out as a #rd and long emergency situation QB. Aikman didn't look very good the time the Eagles sacked him 12 times- he looked like he wanted his mama. Randall played in the shotgun? How many QBs have you seen play primarily in the shotgun?
I'm confused, was it outs and slants (the West Coast Offense, BTW), or Aikman's flankers new that if they ran a 15-20 yard post or curl, that when they turned to catch the pass they were going to be stappled with a pass right on there numbers! Let's see what happened in Dallas' other 2 SB wins:SB 28- Dallas held without a TD until James Washington returns a fumble for a TD in the 3rd quarter. Dallas goes on a 64 yard scoring drive, with Emmit Smith accounting for all but 3 yards. Dallas' final TD comes after an interception gives them the ball at Buffalo's 34. Emmit does almost all the damage again. Aikman's stats- 19 of 27, 207 yards, 1 int., no TDs- impressive.

SB 30- Aikman passes 3 yards to Novacek for a TD in the 1st quarter. No more TDs until the 3rd quarter, with Emmitt scoring after Larry Brown's int gave Dallas the ball at Pittsburgh's 18. Emmitt scored again after another Brown int gave Dallas the ball at Pittsburgh's 6. That's it. Aikman's stats- 15 of 23, 209 yards, no int., 1 TD.
Like I said, Aikman's job was to not lose the game, and he did a good job of that, but he was by no means great.

Dallas plays in a dome with a hole in it. Only an idiot would imply that the wind currents are the same in Dallas as they are in any true open air stadium.
I'm not denying that Aikman is a HOFer, any more than I would deny Bart Starr is, but neither one of their names will come up in any unbiased discussion of the "great" QBs.

Let's hear some opinions. I love reading what you guys/gals have to say.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
I love Troy, but in their primes, I'd take Cunningham without thinking twice. 3 time MVP, and probably the best running/passing combo QB ever. Aikman was on a far better team, but Cunningham was the better player.

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
BLASPHEMY! ;) Yea,Cunningham was fun to watch,but Aikman could read defenses better IMO.
I was remembering when Randall was a Cowboy and me and my bud started comparing the two.
That's how all this got started lol. Marino and Aikman are my fav QB's.

Hoov

Reaction score
cunningham played on a team that had one of the most aggressive and feared defenses ever. players would get "taken out" against the eagles in those days. you didnt just worry about turnovers, you worried if you would lose your QB or RB/WR for the year. Anyway, Randall got the ball on the other teams 30 yard line so many times. when your already in FG position before you take the first snap you can afford to gamble and run the offense wide open. The eagles D was so good the Offense could totally screw up and just get the ball back with no loss of field position.

Aikmen was incredibly accurate and his decision making was so good, that is what wins championships. The QB position is one that requires leadership and decision making skills, much more important than athleticism and strong arm.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I love Troy, but in their primes, I'd take Cunningham without thinking twice. 3 time MVP, and probably the best running/passing combo QB ever. Aikman was on a far better team, but Cunningham was the better player.

Are you freaking nuts!!! HOF vs. Not ever going to the hall of fame, and 3 SBs vs. ZERO. I like Randall and all but he is no Troy. Bring this up on a nonbiased message board and you will get the same answer.

TROY WAS BETTER NO QUESTION!!!

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Hoov said:
Aikmen was incredibly accurate and his decision making was so good, that is what wins championships. The QB position is one that requires leadership and decision making skills, much more important than athleticism and strong arm.

AMEN!!!

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyeric8 said:
Are you freaking nuts!!! HOF vs. Not ever going to the hall of fame, and 3 SBs vs. ZERO. I like Randall and all but he is no Troy. Bring this up on a nonbiased message board and you will get the same answer.

TROY WAS BETTER NO QUESTION!!!

Sorry, but Cunningham was the better player. If he was on those Dallas teams of the 90s, theres a good chance we would have won 4 straight SBs. Troy was great for our team, but he was a QB that had to have talent around him. Cunningham simply didnt have much around him offensively, thus he never won much. Aikman had maybe the best RB ever and the second best WR of the 90s on his team, as well as the greatest O-Line of all-time. The question is who is the better PLAYER, not who won more or who had the better team. Randall was better.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HeavyHitta31 said:
Sorry, but Cunningham was the better player. If he was on those Dallas teams of the 90s, theres a good chance we would have won 4 straight SBs. Troy was great for our team, but he was a QB that had to have talent around him. Cunningham simply didnt have much around him offensively, thus he never won much. Aikman had maybe the best RB ever and the second best WR of the 90s on his team, as well as the greatest O-Line of all-time. The question is who is the better PLAYER, not who won more or who had the better team. Randall was better.
Who was the quarterback of the 1998 Vikings team? The offensive talent on that team wasn't too shabby.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
DallasEast said:
Who was the quarterback of the 1998 Vikings team? The offensive talent on that team wasn't too shabby.

Yeah, too bad you forgot the first 3/4 of his career in Philly, when he won 2 MVPs with no help at all. I DEFY you to name ONE other offensive starter on that team off the top of your head.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HeavyHitta31 said:
Yeah, too bad you forgot the first 3/4 of his career in Philly, when he won 2 MVPs with no help at all. I DEFY you to name ONE other offensive starter on that team off the top of your head.
Okay.

Randy Moss

Robert Smith

Todd Steussie

Cris Carter

Oops. That's four. :)

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
Cunningham was a great athlete,But Cunningham didn't seem to have that football sence that great QBs have.
Cunningham didn't even have the respect of many of his teammates. He was too aloof and one reason he'd take off running on plays was because he didn't have a good grasp of the playbook. There were a few Eagles who would rather have had a broken down Jim McMahon under center.

Not only was Aikman extremely accurate, Aikman's legacy IMO, is his leadership! He was a very smart QB, who was never "Flashy" but more "blue collar" than anything. It was a shame he could'nt have played longer. :(
I just feel that Aikman used the great players surrounding him to their fullist...where I don't think Randall would have won three rings with the boys.

When it comes down to it the only thing that matters in football is winning. Aikman did it... Cunningham didn't. Cunningham was a better stat QB. Aikman was a winner.

NO comparison AIKMAN is the man! I know,I know lol. Like I said before,I already Know Aikman was the better of the two,I just thought it would make a good discussion here.
Apparently,a few of you guys enjoyed looking back too. ;)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Troy any day of the week, to heck with running skills we are talking QB not running back and Troy could out pass cunningham anyday of the week. Once teams figured out not to chase cunningham and force him to stay in the pocket cunninghams number bottomed out, his accuracy was not worth a damn.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

Did he win those MVPs when Cris Carter was there?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Payton34smith22 said:
Cunningham was a great athlete,But Cunningham didn't seem to have that football sence that great QBs have.
Cunningham didn't even have the respect of many of his teammates. He was too aloof and one reason he'd take off running on plays was because he didn't have a good grasp of the playbook. There were a few Eagles who would rather have had a broken down Jim McMahon under center.

Not only was Aikman extremely accurate, Aikman's legacy IMO, is his leadership! He was a very smart QB, who was never "Flashy" but more "blue collar" than anything. It was a shame he could'nt have played longer. :(
I just feel that Aikman used the great players surrounding him to their fullist...where I don't think Randall would have won three rings with the boys.

When it comes down to it the only thing that matters in football is winning. Aikman did it... Cunningham didn't. Cunningham was a better stat QB. Aikman was a winner.
NO comparison AIKMAN is the man! I know,I know lol. Like I said before,I already Know Aikman was the better of the two,I just thought it would make a good discussion here.
Apparently,a few of you guys enjoyed looking back too. ;)

No, Aikman's team was a winner, he was just part of that team. Troy was not good enough to elevate a team by himself, but him, Emmitt, Irvin, etc together made those teams great. Cunningham never had a great offense in Philly. Never even good or decent offensive help. It was him making things happen. When he finally got help in Minnesota, he was one win away from the SB (a game they lost to the Falcons because of their defense, not Cunningham) and posted a 15-1, 2 games better than any of Troy's teams did. Now I'm not comparing the two teams, but you if you cant see that Cunningham had more QB skills than Troy, your a blind homer. BTW, Troy was not the leader of that team. Michael Irvin was.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitta31

I could be wrong, but believe Hitta wasn't talking about the Vikings.

Randy Moss ...not on that team ?

Robert Smith ...not on that team ?

Todd Steussie ...not on that team ?

Cris Carter ...on that team!

Oops. That's only one. :)

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitta31

I could be wrong, but believe Hitta wasn't talking about the Vikings.

Randy Moss ...not on that team ?

Robert Smith ...not on that team ?

Todd Steussie ...not on that team ?

Cris Carter ...on that team!

Oops. That's only one. :)

Carter wasnt on the team when he won his MVPs.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Troy was great for our team, but he was a QB that had to have talent around him. Cunningham simply didnt have much around him offensively, thus he never won much.
:confused:

Makes perfect sense.:rolleyes:

joseephuss

Reaction score
Payton34smith22 said:
I am having a discussion about Randall Cunningham & Troy Aikman.
My bud say's Aikman was good because of the curl patterns the WR's used and because of his supporting cast,O-line,Smith,Irvin etc.
He says Randall would have won in Dallas but Aikman would have got pounded in Philly.

What do you guys think? I know Randall was the better athlete but I also Know Aikman was the better QB! This is what my friend says....

Not all QBs look bad when the protection breaks down. Randall was often at his best in exactly that situation. In fact, Randall started out as a #rd and long emergency situation QB. Aikman didn't look very good the time the Eagles sacked him 12 times- he looked like he wanted his mama. Randall played in the shotgun? How many QBs have you seen play primarily in the shotgun?
I'm confused, was it outs and slants (the West Coast Offense, BTW), or Aikman's flankers new that if they ran a 15-20 yard post or curl, that when they turned to catch the pass they were going to be stappled with a pass right on there numbers! Let's see what happened in Dallas' other 2 SB wins:SB 28- Dallas held without a TD until James Washington returns a fumble for a TD in the 3rd quarter. Dallas goes on a 64 yard scoring drive, with Emmit Smith accounting for all but 3 yards. Dallas' final TD comes after an interception gives them the ball at Buffalo's 34. Emmit does almost all the damage again. Aikman's stats- 19 of 27, 207 yards, 1 int., no TDs- impressive.

SB 30- Aikman passes 3 yards to Novacek for a TD in the 1st quarter. No more TDs until the 3rd quarter, with Emmitt scoring after Larry Brown's int gave Dallas the ball at Pittsburgh's 18. Emmitt scored again after another Brown int gave Dallas the ball at Pittsburgh's 6. That's it. Aikman's stats- 15 of 23, 209 yards, no int., 1 TD.
Like I said, Aikman's job was to not lose the game, and he did a good job of that, but he was by no means great.

Dallas plays in a dome with a hole in it. Only an idiot would imply that the wind currents are the same in Dallas as they are in any true open air stadium.
I'm not denying that Aikman is a HOFer, any more than I would deny Bart Starr is, but neither one of their names will come up in any unbiased discussion of the "great" QBs.

Let's hear some opinions. I love reading what you guys/gals have to say.

Aikman played in SB 28 only 1 week after receiving a concussion in the NFC Championship game. There was a story that Aikman was still so loopy that he even put his contact lenses in backwards before the game and played that way for the first half. It was amazing that he was able to even play, much less complete 70% of his passes that game.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HeavyHitta31 said:
I meant the Eagle's teams he was on..... :banghead:
My bad. I was still referring to the Vikings team for which he was surrounded by talent, but still didn't succeed. My mistake. :)