Aikman or Cunningham

Doomsday101

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Hitta... are you kidding me?

Byars not a playmaker? Carter not a playmaker? Quick not a playmaker? Jackson not a playmaker?

Add to that the best defense in the league during that time.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Hitta... are you kidding me?

Byars not a playmaker? Carter not a playmaker? Quick not a playmaker? Jackson not a playmaker?

I've said from the beginning that Carter was a playmaker, though he was not the playmaker he was in Minnesota. Of those guys, the only guy I'd want on my team is Jackson, and he'd still be behind Novacheck.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Add to that the best defense in the league during that time.

Someone hasnt been reading the thread. ;)

Defense doesnt help with offensive stats, now does it.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I've said from the beginning that Carter was a playmaker, though he was not the playmaker he was in Minnesota. Of those guys, the only guy I'd want on my team is Jackson, and he'd still be behind Novacheck.

Byars used to kill us... he moved the chains as well as anybody during his career...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Someone hasnt been reading the thread. ;)

Defense doesnt help with offensive stats, now does it.

Yes it does when the defense can get the ball back in a hurry and set you up with great field position. Bottom line once teams figured out to not chase Cunningham and force him to throw from the pocket they found out quickly that he lacked a lot in accuracy in large part because he would throw the ball off his back foot. What made Cunningham great was the fact he could throw the ball 70 yards on the run and many time DB would come up to make the play on a running cunningham leaving the WR all alone for easy TD's.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Yes, I'm sure they went around every year asking GM's "who would you rather have, Aikman or Cunningham"? What a joke...... :rolleyes:

I can respect that you have this opinion, but please dont just pull things out of your a** trying to prove it.

well when they ask "who's the one player you'd start a franchise with?" and every yr they all say Aikman, its obvious they prefer Aikman over Cunningham right?

hello!

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Garbage

Yes, he was very good, however in Philly he was not even half the player he was in Minnesota.

Wouldnt have even made the depth chart in Dallas during that period.

Decent, but nothing to make a case with.

Cunningham made their careers, just like he did most of the players you listed.

Again, of course they put up decent numbers because its all Philly had to work with. Not only did Cunningham make them look better than they were, but they only had good numbers because Philly didnt have much offensive talent, while in Dallas Emmitt, Irvin and out O-Line made Troy look better than he was.

I have very good recollections, I remember Cunningham running across the field, always making plays and Troy throwing systematic routes with HOFs catching and running the ball.

And again, you cant provide any evidence to back up that claim. It's just something you are basing your opinion off of and assuming every NFL GM would agree with you.

And no, its nothing like Vick vs Manning, because 1: I have never and I doubt you have ever encountered someone who said Vick was a better QB than Manning, not even Falcon fans and 2: Manning outs ups FAR superior numbers than Vick does, something Aikman did not do over Cunningham.

you need to go back and do some serious reserach and game film watching

David

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
well when they ask "who's the one player you'd start a franchise with?" and every yr they all say Aikman, its obvious they prefer Aikman over Cunningham right?

hello!

David
I' love to see a link to back that up

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I' love to see a link to back that up

go find arcived NFL articles in USA Today, TSN, SI etc etc ...they all say it...usually with plenty of quotes too

if you dont remember it, either you choosing not to or just wasnt watching or reading about much NFL

David

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Since Aikman won three Super Bowls here, it's always hard for me to side with another quarterback in an Aikman-vs-??? debate. Another guy may have been able to surpass Troy's stats, but I think Troy just clicked so well with this team. And considering all the dynamic and controversial personalities we had, I think his hard*** mentality also meshed perfectly. I don't know if that can be said for all the other great quarterbacks of his era. And even if it could be said, it's still no guarantee they'd have come here and exected as well in situations as he did, or in big games. It's difficult to recall game-crushing mistakes Troy committed in big games.

blindzebra

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
go find arcived NFL articles in USA Today, TSN, SI etc etc ...they all say it...usually with plenty of quotes too

if you dont remember it, either you choosing not to or just wasnt watching or reading about much NFL

David

He's 19 right now, he was like 7 or 8 during the time frame he is talking about, so in otherwords, he's got nothing.;)

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
I have a question, which one is in the ROH?

Troy had 3 super bowls that should put an end to this thread.
How many did Notsocunningham have? Oh yeah thats right he played for the Iggles

And Troy is a first ballot HOFer, no question about it, even with a Cowboy biased HOF board.

And with Cunningham there are plenty of ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Dale said:
Since Aikman won three Super Bowls here, it's always hard for me to side with another quarterback in an Aikman-vs-??? debate. Another guy may have been able to surpass Troy's stats, but I think Troy just clicked so well with this team. And considering all the dynamic and controversial personalities we had, I think his hard*** mentality also meshed perfectly. I don't know if that can be said for all the other great quarterbacks of his era. And even if it could be said, it's still no guarantee they'd have come here and exected as well in situations as he did, or in big games. It's difficult to recall game-crushing mistakes Troy committed in big games.

I couldn't have said it better myself :bow:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
He's 19 right now, he was like 7 or 8 during the time frame he is talking about, so in otherwords, he's got nothing.;)

thats what I suspected but its really no big deal...he can have his 1970's station wagon/family truckster of a QB, I'll take the shiny new Lexus...

David

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Dale said:

I'm not arguing that I would rather have Randall for THIS team, because Troy worked so well and was a HOF so why change it? Troy was perfect for his situation, moreso than maybe any QB ever.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyeric8 said:
I have a question, which one is in the ROH?

Troy had 3 super bowls that should put an end to this thread.
How many did Notsocunningham have? Oh yeah thats right he played for the Iggles

And Troy is a first ballot HOFer, no question about it, even with a Cowboy biased HOF board.

And with Cunningham there are plenty of ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Most likely Aiman considering, you know, the ROH is in TEXAS STADIUM!!! And with the Cowboy bias, I'm not to sure he is a first ballot HOFer. The only triplet who is for sure is Emmitt.

Again, the entire point of this is that Troy had such superior talent to Cunningham, of course he won more, and no QB was ever more perfect for a system that Troy for ours.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Most likely Aiman considering, you know, the ROH is in TEXAS STADIUM!!! And with the Cowboy bias, I'm not to sure he is a first ballot HOFer. The only triplet who is for sure is Emmitt.

Again, the entire point of this is that Troy had such superior talent to Cunningham, of course he won more, and no QB was ever more perfect for a system that Troy for ours.

once again, its highly unlikely you watched this guy play at all

I saw virtually every game he played, the guy was one of the best pure passers ever

David