Aikman or Cunningham

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Just count the rings, boys and girls. Both QB's had great Defenses and good o-lines, receivers and running backs (eagles had herschel at the time?). To me it's a no brainer.....Troy in a walk!

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
It's OK Heavy. My 'infinate' wisdom aside, as you put it, I, like so many others obviously, don't see the relevence of you telling us a starting QB led his team in TD passes, passing yardage, etc etc.

I guess since you say I added nothing, it must be true. But let me point out something you ignored (it's just I don't throw a hissy fit and start quoting myself in my own posts). I gave the offensive raniking of those Philly teams, where I recall they were anywhere between 2nd and 10th. Pretty good I'd say, for a team that had nothing. But, that is according to you.

You should calm down, that aggravation will make you an old man fast. Your adoration for Randall, while somewhat admirable, is a tad obsessive.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
CowboyDan said:
Just count the rings, boys and girls. Both QB's had great Defenses and good o-lines, receivers and running backs (eagles had herschel at the time?). To me it's a no brainer.....Troy in a walk!

Your're joking right? The only WR Philly ever had then that was more than below average was Carter, and he was in his first 2 years and hardly half the player he would eventually become. Philly had one of the worst O-Lines in football. Philly had ZERO at RB until they got Watters, Walker did virtually NOTHING in Philly.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
jackrussell said:
It's OK Heavy. My 'infinate' wisdom aside, as you put it, I, like so many others obviously, don't see the relevence of you telling us a starting QB led his team in TD passes, passing yardage, etc etc.

I guess since you say I added nothing, it must be true. But let me point out something you ignored (it's just I don't throw a hissy fit and start quoting myself in my own posts). I gave the offensive raniking of those Philly teams, where I recall they were anywhere between 2nd and 10th. Pretty good I'd say, for a team that had nothing. But, that is according to you.

You should calm down, that aggravation will make you an old man fast. Your adoration for Randall, while somewhat admirable, is a tad obsessive.

They had some of the best offenses in football BECAUSE CUNNINGHAM WAS SUCH A GOOD OFFENSIVE PLAYER!!!! What about that dont you get?

And for the record, I don't "admire" Cunningham, as a person he's a real douchebag. But you cant dent his ability as a player.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
What about that dont you get?

Don't I get? I'm the one that posted it. The part you don't seem to get is you don't throw for alot of yards to yourself, you don't throw TDs to yourself, you don't block for yourself. There were capable players on that Philly team, and no one player has EVER vaulted an offense to #2 in the league all by their self. It's a team game, references are made he didn't have the offense to go to the next level, when in fact, he did.

It was always his inability to come through in the clutch. His selfishness, his inability to deal with adversity. No WR (other than Moss) would ever be in the HOF with Cunningham at QB. Too quick to take off, to slow to check down on coverages. Where as Troy made players better around him, the same can't be said about Cunningham.

He's all yours Heava, I'm content with Aikman being the better QB.

blindzebra

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
They had some of the best offenses in football BECAUSE CUNNINGHAM WAS SUCH A GOOD OFFENSIVE PLAYER!!!! What about that dont you get?

And for the record, I don't "admire" Cunningham, as a person he's a real douchebag. But you cant dent his ability as a player.

In 1989 Byars had 1,200 total yards and 5 TDs, Carter had 11 TDs, Jackson was the TE in the pro bowl.

1990 Byars had 1,000 total yards, Barnett averaged 20 YPC and had 8 TDs, Williams 16.3 and 9TDs, Jackson made the pro bowl at TE.

1992 Walker 1,300 total yards and 10 TDs, Barnett 1,000 yards and 6 TDs, Williams 7 TDs.

1998 Smith 1,500 yards and 8 TDs, Carter and Moss.

Yep, he had no talent around him.:rolleyes:

5 Super Bowls

Reaction score
Cunningham was a talented player, but the one thing that sticks in my mind is that he wanted to be a backup not the starter for the last few years he played. He was not a leader like aikman was.

His stats in the playoffs were pitiful in comparison to his regular season statistics. Troy shined in the playoffs. His record of 11-6 going up against arguably 2 of the best franchises in the last 25 years in the 49ers and Buffalo. Sorry, he was that good. He got hit too much too hard to continue, and yet he had to be forced out of the league, he was not begging to be a backup. He was the leader of this team and he is the one I would have taken in their primes.

BTW Would Peyton Manning have won the MVP with Emmitt Smith in his prime? I suggest no, cause he wouldn't be throwing the ball 40 times a game. Randall was a great athlete, and was very good at utilizing it, but was unable to perform in the playoffs. JMO

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
What will end this discussion is the HOF. Troy will be a first ballot HOFer no questions asked.

Randall on the other hand will struggle to make it, but in a weak ballot year probably will. Not saying the year he is elligible, but if he doesn't make it the first year.

And please ask any NFL experts that aren't biased either way and I would be willing to bet Troy would be their better QB 80% (or even more) of the time.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I love Troy, but in their primes, I'd take Cunningham without thinking twice. 3 time MVP, and probably the best running/passing combo QB ever. Aikman was on a far better team, but Cunningham was the better player.

:rolleyes:

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I love Troy, but in their primes, I'd take Cunningham without thinking twice. 3 time MVP, and probably the best running/passing combo QB ever. Aikman was on a far better team, but Cunningham was the better player.

you'd do that along with ZERO NFL personnel people...

David

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
you'd do that along with ZERO NFL personnel people...

David

And I would win more games, assuming the team Troy is on doesnt have a Hall of Famer at every skill position.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
And I would win more games, assuming the team Troy is on doesnt have a Hall of Famer at every skill position.

that you mr exaggeration

and no, you wont win more games...just like no NFL GM would ever take Randall Cunningham over Aikman...a fact which can easily be looked up from the past, when virtually every season for 5 or 6 years when a GM was asked who he'd start a franchise with the reply was Mr Aikman, not Cunningham...

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Your're joking right? The only WR Philly ever had then that was more than below average was Carter, and he was in his first 2 years and hardly half the player he would eventually become. Philly had one of the worst O-Lines in football. Philly had ZERO at RB until they got Watters, Walker did virtually NOTHING in Philly.

the skill player thing is a legit argument until you look at how poorly Cunningham threw the ball...the guy threw balls into the sideline, into the ground, over wide open guys...the guy was a tall RB with a cannon arm...he was the original Mike Vick...

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

see, now here's where you bury yourself...he played with Mike Quick, Chris Carter, Fred Barnett and Calvin Williams in addition to Keith Jackson, Marek Bavaro and Keith Byars...I'm not going to do all your homework for you, but these guys all put up some significant numbers...to imply Cunningham was a one man team is ridiculous...you also have to factor in the fact he played on a team with one of the more dominant defenses from 87-93

if you want to make an argument at least check your history...its apparent you have little recollection of when Aikman or Cunningham were in their primes, and again...nobody in football would have picked Cunningham over Aikman...its like some fools in todays NFL saying they'd pick Vick over Manning

David

blindzebra

Reaction score
I did the homework in this thread already and HH could not be more wrong.

In 1989 Byars had 1,200 total yards and 5 TDs, Carter had 11 TDs, Jackson was the TE in the pro bowl.

1990 Byars had 1,000 total yards, Barnett averaged 20 YPC and had 8 TDs, Williams 16.3 and 9TDs, Jackson made the pro bowl at TE.

1992 Walker 1,300 total yards and 10 TDs, Barnett 1,000 yards and 6 TDs, Williams 7 TDs.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
that you mr exaggeration

and no, you wont win more games...just like no NFL GM would ever take Randall Cunningham over Aikman...a fact which can easily be looked up from the past, when virtually every season for 5 or 6 years when a GM was asked who he'd start a franchise with the reply was Mr Aikman, not Cunningham...
David

Yes, I'm sure they went around every year asking GM's "who would you rather have, Aikman or Cunningham"? What a joke...... :rolleyes:

I can respect that you have this opinion, but please dont just pull things out of your a** trying to prove it.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
see, now here's where you bury yourself...he played with Mike Quick

Garbage

Chris Carter

Yes, he was very good, however in Philly he was not even half the player he was in Minnesota.

Fred Barnett

Wouldnt have even made the depth chart in Dallas during that period.

Calvin Williams

Decent, but nothing to make a case with.

Keith Jackson, Marek Bavaro and Keith Byars

Cunningham made their careers, just like he did most of the players you listed.

...I'm not going to do all your homework for you, but these guys all put up some significant numbers...to imply Cunningham was a one man team is ridiculous...you also have to factor in the fact he played on a team with one of the more dominant defenses from 87-93

Again, of course they put up decent numbers because its all Philly had to work with. Not only did Cunningham make them look better than they were, but they only had good numbers because Philly didnt have much offensive talent, while in Dallas Emmitt, Irvin and out O-Line made Troy look better than he was.

if you want to make an argument at least check your history...its apparent you have little recollection of when Aikman or Cunningham were in their primes

I have very good recollections, I remember Cunningham running across the field, always making plays and Troy throwing systematic routes with HOFs catching and running the ball.

and again...nobody in football would have picked Cunningham over Aikman...its like some fools in todays NFL saying they'd pick Vick over Manning

David

And again, you cant provide any evidence to back up that claim. It's just something you are basing your opinion off of and assuming every NFL GM would agree with you.

And no, its nothing like Vick vs Manning, because 1: I have never and I doubt you have ever encountered someone who said Vick was a better QB than Manning, not even Falcon fans and 2: Manning outs ups FAR superior numbers than Vick does, something Aikman did not do over Cunningham.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
I did the homework in this thread already and HH could not be more wrong.

Again, none of those guys were great playmakers, other than Carter who was still young, and when you have no one else to run or catch , bad players will put up good numbers. Someone had to catch those TDs thrown by Cunningham.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Again, none of those guys were great playmakers, other than Carter who was still young, and when you have no one else to run or catch , bad players will put up good numbers. Someone had to catch those TDs thrown by Cunningham.

Hitta... are you kidding me?

Byars not a playmaker? Carter not a playmaker? Quick not a playmaker? Jackson not a playmaker?