Twitter: Aikman savages Doug Gottlieb on Luck

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have not read the entire thread but hoped for some clarification.

If a player is considered glass after enduring multiple 'severe' injuries during his career and does not quit until he no longer has the job he wants, what is a player defined as who has endured multiple 'severe' injuries during his career and chooses to quit the job he still possesses?

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
What’s this got to do with Luck? Aikman walked away after too many concussions. He made a health decision for himself.

That’s what Luck did here. He’s battled upper and lower body injuries, he’s had at least one concussion and he lacerated a liver.

It’s perfecrly logical to see a guy walk away from football concerned about his life going forward with that laundry list of injuries.
I recall Troy saying he retired due to his back, not from concussions.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score

If a player is considered glass after enduring multiple 'severe' injuries during his career and does not quit until he no longer has the job he wants, what is a player defined as who has endured multiple 'severe' injuries during his career and chooses to quit the job he still possesses?

Smart. Somebody who wants to be able to walk when they’re 50. Somebody who doesn’t want early onset Alzheimer’s.

Or, according to some, “a QuITTeR!!’!!’!!”

Brooksey

Reaction score

I don't think anyone called Brett Favre, Troy Aikman or Peyton Manning glass. That was called to guys like RG3

Brooksey

Reaction score
LOL.

You realize that many NFL players retire because of the injury toll on their bodies, right?

Not many super star quarterbacks retire at 29. Very rare.

and what's with the "LOL" all the time? Are you a millennial?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
As far as timing, yes. But I don’t fault Luck’s decision overall. Aikman knows a helluva a lot more within the walls of the NFL than us needy fans.

Based on the information from his press conference, and that of his HC, I respect him for what he did. I just have an issue with when he did it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smart. Somebody who wants to be able to walk when they’re 50. Somebody who doesn’t want early onset Alzheimer’s.

Or, according to some, “a QuITTeR!!’!!’!!”
What if the 'glass' player was not actually in any danger of losing his ability to walk later in life and mental decay was not a perceivable threat down the road?

Sydla

Reaction score

I am constantly laughing at your idiocy here.

What does the position he plays have to do with anything? An oft injured NFL player is an oft injured player. Calvin Johnson walked away from the Lions at age 30 due to injuries. Patrick Willis also retired at 30 due to injuries. Gronk just retired at 30 due to injuries. Gale Sayers quit at age 28.

Using your logic................ all quitters.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Five months ago, Luck didn't know his girl slept with his brother(he didn't have an ankle injury). He only found out recently(sustained the injury) and even then tried to work things out, but couldn't overcome being cheated on(was going to miss a significant amount of games due to ankle injury).

Was he going to miss a significant amount of time? From what Luck said, he would be able to play, but probably wouldnt be able to practice much for a while and he promised himself he wouldnt do that again.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
lol..ok...I kinda think the oline wasn't very appealing to him..thats why he quit abruptly. Don't blame him...I just think my employer deserves more respect than 2 weeks on a scale like this.
Their OL is better. He was only sacked 18 times last year and threw 39 TD's.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think anyone called Brett Favre, Troy Aikman or Peyton Manning glass. That was called to guys like RG3
Personally, I do not really remember Favre, Aikman or Manning getting any discernible 'glass' flack during their careers but Griffin did not come to mind while I composed my question. However, someone closer to home did though.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Was he going to miss a significant amount of time? From what Luck said, he would be able to play, but probably wouldnt be able to practice much for a while and he promised himself he wouldnt do that again.

Would be weird to be putting a player on the field with a calf/ankle injury without even knowing what the problem is - he was look at an extended period of time missed with some rehab going on as well.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Would be weird to be putting a player on the field with a calf/ankle injury without even knowing what the problem is - he was look at an extended period of time missed with some rehab going on as well.

Where did it say he was going to miss an extended period of time? Which to me is 3-5 games at least.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

Because not every situation is the same....

And it's becoming more common now that players are retiring younger the more we learn about such injuries.

jsb357

Reaction score
....he didn’t foresee the injury coming and they didn’t even know what the injury was lol

When was he supposed to notify the team? In March? Before the injury ever occurred?

yea but...

the injury did not go away with the retirement announcement.

he still gonna have to do rehab

it's still gonna hurt

put off the retirement until after rehab

then make a life altering decision

after the pain has subsided

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
yea but...

it's still gonna hurt

it's like haiku, but w/o the rhymes.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Aug. 14: Colts coach Frank Reich lays out a timetable for Luck's Week 1 availability. Luck watches practice against the Browns with his left ankle taped.

Aug. 17: There was no official update, but Andrew Luck going through a vigorous warm-up routine before the Colts' preseason game against Cleveland looked good.

Aug. 20: Here's coach Frank Reich, upon announcing that Luck wouldn't practice heading into the Colts' Week 3 preseason game: "Really all we have right now is a combination of full-speed movement and pain threshold. It’s that combination of how much full speed and what level. It’s on a continuum, right?"

Does not sound like a guy that will miss an extended period of time.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
yea but...

it's still gonna hurt

He's going to go through rehab again, but not have to continue the cycle. And that's not really what your post was about anyways, you pretend like he should have foreseen the injury, which is just absurd. "He only gave 2 weeks" - because the injury he sustained didn't happen that long ago...

And the pain isn't subsiding, that's the problem. There are problems he's having that aren't going away, as he stated, it's constant. Then more injuries are piling on top.

I'm also not entirely sure why you would think this is better for the team for Luck to drag this out - even his coach mentioned how this is better to get it out of the way now and start looking towards the future.