Aikman: "why do you throw that pass when Zeke just ran the ball for 8yds?"

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can understand that. I just don't agree with the premise that no good team would have taken a shot not we should play scared..

Teams take that shot regularly depending on what they are shown

Obviously you have to score a TD as the top goal, but the chances for run or pass seemed similar and the run burns clock.

khiladi

Reaction score
So you believe in playing like a fool?

Because that's what that playcall was - football stupid. Completely lacking in the common sense of football.

I think not trying to score a TD based on the possibility some QB will march down the field to score a TD is being a fool..

I also believe playing prevent against QBs like Rodgers in those situations are foolish..

I blame the defensive coach here, not that play call..

I don't think our defense is so pathetic that we need to play that way..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think not trying to score a TD based on the possibility some QB will march down the field to score a TD is being a fool..

I also believe playing prevent against QBs like Rodgers in those situations are foolish..

I blame the defensive coach here, not that play call..

Where was running the ball and controlling the clock "not trying to score"?

You sound as bad as the moron coaches look.

:facepalm:

coogrfan

Reaction score
But then they scored in 4 seconds later so both plays scored at the same time

That assumes the same result. If you run on 2nd down it's probable we don't score, but they are forced to burn their last timeout. That alone would have completely changed how GB had to approach the last drive.

khiladi

Reaction score
JG is a terrible coach. I doubt he said one single thing into the head]set during that drive. He doesn't know what to do. He left it all to the OC and he will go home happy with his big game check and clapping.

Exactly.. it should register in people's head this guy is incompetent at coaching and way over his head..

He has set this organization back philosophically, because Jerry has had to protect him and more importantly protect his image. Jerry basically got rid of two HOF caliber coaches in Callahan and Wade for him..

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I am trying to see the coaches side of that call and come up with a good reason to make the call. I am being serious when I say that I cannot come up single reason to call that fade pass in that situation. It leads me to a scary realization, there are coaches on this team with some level of incompetence. Did he not know the down and yardage? Did he not know how much time was left? If we score, did he not think that a minute and a half for Rodgers was enough to at least get in FG range? Did he allow the QB to audible that call? Really struggling to come up with an excuse for that call.

khiladi

Reaction score
Where was running the ball and controlling the clock "not trying to score"?

You sound as bad as the moron coaches look.

:facepalm:

You try and score in your given oppurtunies.. your argument is one should waste a down because one fears A team may potentially run the full length of a field in a matter of less than two minutes in a way they haven't done all game....

what if Dallas ran it and scored that play? That's a couple seconds difference.. what if GB stacked the line, which they did, and stopped Zeke causing loss of yardage?

my argument is one should try and score given what the defense is doing that very moment and NOT be a girl (Cam Newton reference) and play prevent..

Dodger12

Reaction score
I can understand that. I just don't agree with the premise that no good team would have taken a shot not we should play scared..

Teams take that shot regularly depending on what they are shown

You still run the play clock down instead of snapping it with 13 seconds or so. It's just poor situational awareness.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Obviously you have to score a TD as the top goal, but the chances for run or pass seemed similar and the run burns clock.
Right.. Cmon man. Coaching is playing probabilities. It's not rocket science. Don't trying to make it such.

khiladi

Reaction score
You still run the play clock down instead of snapping it with 13 seconds or so. It's just poor situational awareness.

We don't seem to be to good with Dak's decision making running the play clock down to the last second..

I'm not disagreeing with the overall arguments, I just don't think it's that big of a deal to take a shot at that look.

I think us playing prevent and scared and letting Rodgers sit back all day on a three man rush is worse..

khiladi

Reaction score
I hate prevent defense..

QBs spend all day trying to score when not playing prevent, but suddenly you decide to get paranoid and rush three last two minutes, because you fear the QB would score..

Makes no sense to me..

NumOneQB

Reaction score
They also act like that read option would have been a guaranteed TD the next play if they ran it..

Nothing is guaranteed but as a Head Coach you have to be aware that getting GB to use their last time out is critical in the waning moments. Run the ball and get the clock under a minute, there goes the timeout.

khiladi

Reaction score
Nothing is guaranteed but as a Head Coach you have to be aware that getting GB to use their last time out is critical in the waning moments. Run the ball and get the clock under a minute, there goes the timeout.

Of course, but remember it was a second and ONE.. the very next play would have done that, but we scored on a run by Dak..

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
That assumes the same result. If you run on 2nd down it's probable we don't score, but they are forced to burn their last timeout. That alone would have completely changed how GB had to approach the last drive.
Bu they scored on their best run play anyway

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You try and score in your given oppurtunies.. your argument is one should waste a down because one fears A team may potentially run the full length of a field in a matter of less than two minutes in a way they haven't done all game....

what if Dallas ran it and scored that play? That's a couple seconds difference.. what if GB stacked the line, which they did, and stopped Zeke causing loss of yardage?

my argument is one should try and score given what the defense is doing that very moment and NOT be a girl (Cam Newton reference) and play prevent..

You have no argument.

The people who know football know that there's more to it than "just try and score" on every play.

That's why actual winners like Troy Aikman's call out stupidity when they see it.