Ajayi damaged goods?

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
His bad knees made him one of the best RB's in the NFL last year. His problems aren't his knees, it's his attitude. By the time his knees go bad he'll be long gone.

Aven8

Reaction score
What I don't get is the slight on Blount. That dude changed that team entirely IMO. It gave them an identity yet Pederson refuses to give him the ball a lot. Makes no sense.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
He has a knee issue and he's had a ridiculous amount of concussions.

He's probably going to have a short career but for what they got him for and the money he is owed they stole the guy.

Agreed. His knee was part of the reason he fell in the draft. He's 24 though and so if they get a couple years of solid product, the cost is well worth it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What I don't get is the slight on Blount. That dude changed that team entirely IMO. It gave them an identity yet Pederson refuses to give him the ball a lot. Makes no sense.

From what i've been hearing and reading Philly fears like last season his body will wear down and he will be less effective in December.

His bad knees made him one of the best RB's in the NFL last year. His problems aren't his knees, it's his attitude. By the time his knees go bad he'll be long gone.

No, his problems are his knees. That was the big disclaimer on him coming out of college.

CWR

Reaction score
From what i've been hearing and reading Philly fears like last season his body will wear down and he will be less effective in December.

No, his problems are his knees. That was the big disclaimer on him coming out of college.

Thats not all, his attitude and constantly missing assignments and screwing up plays was another issue his coach was vocal about.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Well I suppose I have no brain and function on some type of irrational emotions from the heart lol. I am aware this is likely not a wise long term decision but I personally like the aggressive move in a year where the team is a front runner. I think Blount has been really good, but afrer him Smallwood and Clements havent done anything.
That team has a 2nd year QB and the 3rd oldest roster in football.
In a year where there is no front runner they are as good as anyone.
But you don;t push a bunch of chips to the pile and gamble Carsaon Wentz in year 2 will outduel Tom Brady in a Super Bowl while giving up a pick that could help Wentz for 4 years, probably half of which Brady will be retired.

Dallas has the 3rd youngest team in football and young teams improve as the season wears on. Older teams team to suffer injuries.

Ajani hasn't been very good this year and has only been good in very small sample sizes ever.

From a front office perspective Dallas to maneuvering to add 4th round picks while Philly is giving them away.
That ultimately takes it toll and you win with more picks. People who were around for the 90s understands that.

If the Eagles had traded for a young, healthy back that would have made far more sense.
Trading for a stop gap who is missing practice during the week and needs a waiver to pass a physical is not ideal.

Philly needs an OL not a RB this season anyway IMHO.

Reactions: CWR

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Added notes: Generally this pick would be conditional. I think that's a farther sign Eagles FO is poor.

BUT I will grant that I like making a move to show the team you have confidence in it. That subtle thing could be very helpful mentally.
I just again think this was very poor execution of a very good idea.

jdaz123

Reaction score
Added notes: Generally this pick would be conditional. I think that's a farther sign Eagles FO is poor.

BUT I will grant that I like making a move to show the team you have confidence in it. That subtle thing could be very helpful mentally.
I just again think this was very poor execution of a very good idea.

FO is poor????? Dude what are you smokin'? I had hope for some of you fans while reading the reaction to the Ajayi trade but a comment like this just drips of homerism.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Lol, why anyone is looking at this long term is beyond me. The Eagles made this move to bolster their roster now for a postseason run.

Folks worrying about his knees are just looking reasons to crap on the trade.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
FO is poor????? Dude what are you smokin'? I had hope for some of you fans while reading the reaction to the Ajayi trade but a comment like this just drips of homerism.
Yes, poor.
The Eagles are playing great right now and look to have hit on a QB with Wentz but that doesn't wash off the stink of Bradford and Kelly totally.
Kelly had FO power galore but has been removed and they've stepped back and handed it to Roseman who started as like a ball boy. Nice story but he lacks experience as a head guy.

And again the Eagles currently have the 3rd oldest roster in football.
That doesn't bode well for the future.
The LaGarrette Blount Jay Ajani combo is good just confusing for anything but 2017.
And the Eagles age likely means injuries over this second half of the season and thus a weaker team in December than October.

That all makes no sense to me.

I get wanting to give credit to an 8-1 team but this same front office went 7-9 and 4th in the division last year with an older roster.

At a time when they should have been rebuilding they instead add age.
Signing 27 year old Alshon Jeffery to a 1 year deal and vet Torrey Smith? What kind of move is that for a 7-9 team with a 24 year old QB?

If you grade the Eagles on being much better in 2017 then yes easy to score them highly.
If you grade them on an overall plan to win for 4-5 years then this is very incomplete.

As to the draft... the Eagles gave up a lot for Wentz.
He looks worth it but he did rob them of a lot of picks. 8, 77,100 plus future r1 and r2 is A LOT.

So you grade overall draft from the past 2 years and don't see much impact beyond Wentz.
Barnett was 14th overall and is a back up. Sidney Jones looks like your version of Jaylon Smith and is redshirting.

What are the young building blocks for the Eagles? Wentz is a stud and was the guy I wanted for Dallas at 4. That's 100% honestly.
But you got Wentz for 5 draft picks while Dallas got Zeke then stole Dak Prescott for a 1st and 4th total.
So to compete on a larger, longer term scale you need to add picks, not give them away for rental players.

Clamdigger

Reaction score
Yes, poor.
The Eagles are playing great right now and look to have hit on a QB with Wentz but that doesn't wash off the stink of Bradford and Kelly totally.
Kelly had FO power galore but has been removed and they've stepped back and handed it to Roseman who started as like a ball boy. Nice story but he lacks experience as a head guy.

And again the Eagles currently have the 3rd oldest roster in football.
That doesn't bode well for the future.
The LaGarrette Blount Jay Ajani combo is good just confusing for anything but 2017.
And the Eagles age likely means injuries over this second half of the season and thus a weaker team in December than October.

That all makes no sense to me.

I get wanting to give credit to an 8-1 team but this same front office went 7-9 and 4th in the division last year with an older roster.

At a time when they should have been rebuilding they instead add age.
Signing 27 year old Alshon Jeffery to a 1 year deal and vet Torrey Smith? What kind of move is that for a 7-9 team with a 24 year old QB?

If you grade the Eagles on being much better in 2017 then yes easy to score them highly.
If you grade them on an overall plan to win for 4-5 years then this is very incomplete.

As to the draft... the Eagles gave up a lot for Wentz.
He looks worth it but he did rob them of a lot of picks. 8, 77,100 plus future r1 and r2 is A LOT.

So you grade overall draft from the past 2 years and don't see much impact beyond Wentz.
Barnett was 14th overall and is a back up. Sidney Jones looks like your version of Jaylon Smith and is redshirting.

What are the young building blocks for the Eagles? Wentz is a stud and was the guy I wanted for Dallas at 4. That's 100% honestly.
But you got Wentz for 5 draft picks while Dallas got Zeke then stole Dak Prescott for a 1st and 4th total.
So to compete on a larger, longer term scale you need to add picks, not give them away for rental players.

Our DL rotates and Barnett still has 2.5 sacks as a rookie. Rasul Douglas is our 3rd rounder and one of PFF's top rated CBs (for what that's worth). Jalen Mills was a 7th round pick last year and is our #1 CB. They drafted their new LT in the 5th round. Corey Clemente was an UDFA and is contributing. I'm not sure where you're getting this "Poor FO" narrative from. I think you need to do a little more research. This is a completely different scouting/coaching staff from the Kelly years. And many of the older players on the "old" roster are veteran guys like Chris Long and Blount who are paid peanuts.

And I don't understand the criticism of the Alshon/Smith signings. Both are incentive-based and easy to get out of. Also, given the general shelf-life of RBs, I'm completely fine with giving up a 4th (no guarantee for a pick to even make the 53-man) for an established, productive RB. Even if his knee explodes in 3 years, that was perfectly acceptable value. Your situation was a lot different. You had a top 5 WR, the #1 OL and were able to make a luxury pick like Zeke at #4. We had an OK OL and a top 5 TE. We had to put more pieces around Wentz. It wasn't really an option.

I also think the Jaylon Smith and Sidney Jones comparison is a bit disingenuous given the severity of their respective injuries.