Al Davis screwed up Jerry Jones

Jayinem

Reaction score
In 1989 Davis taught Jerry you've got to "Coach the Coach".

Then Jerry was running his mouth while Jimmy was winning that a thousand guys can do what he's doing.

Trust me though that's not to deflect blame from Jerry. But these ideas were implanted in his head from Davis.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Then Jerry was running his mouth while Jimmy was winning that a thousand guys can do what he's doing.

Trust me though that's not to deflect blame from Jerry. But these ideas were implanted in his head from Davis.
Well not quite a thousand. He said 500.

Unfortunately for Jerry he couldn’t find one of them and still hasn’t.

It’s gotta be because these coaches are awful and the players just all stink because it couldn’t possibly be his fault considering how smart he is.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Well at least Al Davis was a Coach(several levels), GM, and Commissioner, before he became an owner.

So Al most likely was qualified to do so, before the game passed him by or he lost his mind. Some things can't be taught and have to be experienced.

GM Jethro unfortunately learned from the latter part of Al Davis' career, when he was out of his damn mind.

Thank God we found Aubrey or we might be drafting a kicker in the first round.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

True but Al Davis has been dead for 13 years.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Well at that point that team was so damn good Jerry was not completely wrong. Then he replaces Jimmy with someone who could not do it the following year.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Well at least Al Davis was a Coach(several levels), GM, and Commissioner, before he became an owner.

So Al most likely was qualified to do so, before the game passed him by or he lost his mind. Some things can't be taught and have to be experienced.

GM Jethro unfortunately learned from the latter part of Al Davis' career, when he was out of his damn mind.

Thank God we found Aubrey or we might be drafting a kicker in the first round.
Yeah, that was the big difference, at least Al had some pro football experience before he lost his mind. At least Al came up with JUST WIN, BABY........all we got from Jethro is HANG AROUND THE RIM, BABY.......

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry and Al Davis always had a lot in common -- both were overbearing blockheads who mentally declined with age. :omg:

The main difference being that one is no longer around, while the other is still large, in charge and sadly, still actively insane.

Last edited:

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
To Al's credit, he was at least a player, coach, and scout during his football career.

Jerry was just a rich guy that bought a football team and decided he and his family were qualified enough to make football decisions. Jerry and Al aren't the same.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I always find it amusing that so many supposedly brilliant, successful, experienced, educated in the details of the sport \ business, with all the "inside" access (I'm talking owner's, coaches, scouts, GM's, analysts, etc.) often reach conclusions that the majority of casual football fans easily see are wrong.

If Jerry, after all these years, believes that all coaches are equal then that is beyond belief.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score

Jimmy was embarrassing Jerry Jones. Jimmy wasn't exactly innocent in the break up. Al Davis was definitely a huge influence on Jerry.