Al Davis screwed up Jerry Jones

Chasing6

Reaction score
I always find it amusing that so many supposedly brilliant, successful, experienced, educated in the details of the sport \ business, with all the "inside" access (I'm talking owner's, coaches, scouts, GM's, analysts, etc.) often reach conclusions that the majority of casual football fans easily see are wrong.

If Jerry, after all these years, believes that all coaches are equal then that is beyond belief.
He sees it that way because he controls them. They don't have freedom to make choices.

Big_D

Reaction score
Might as well blame a dead guy at this point. We reached a new level of scapegoating!

Jayinem

Reaction score
To Al's credit, he was at least a player, coach, and scout during his football career.

Jerry was just a rich guy that bought a football team and decided he and his family were qualified enough to make football decisions. Jerry and Al aren't the same.
Jerry was a player, not pros but college.

Not that I think that makes him some football genius.

foofighters

Reaction score
In 1989 Davis taught Jerry you've got to "Coach the Coach".

Then Jerry was running his mouth while Jimmy was winning that a thousand guys can do what he's doing.

Trust me though that's not to deflect blame from Jerry. But these ideas were implanted in his head from Davis.
Dont you dare give Jerry a pass on this.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry was a player, not pros but college.

Not that I think that makes him some football genius.
His playing for a college football national championship team fed his self-perception of fundamental football concepts. It has been partnership with Jimmy Johnson that fed his self-belief in knowing how to build professional football winning teams. The capstone has been the validation of his peers with his induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame (incorrectly) as a general manager instead of (truthfully) as an NFL owner, who helped evolve the league into a multibillion-dollar industry.

All of the above makes Jones believe he is a football genius, no matter how much other observers of what he has done since February 1989 disagree.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
In 1989 Davis taught Jerry you've got to "Coach the Coach".

Then Jerry was running his mouth while Jimmy was winning that a thousand guys can do what he's doing.

Trust me though that's not to deflect blame from Jerry. But these ideas were implanted in his head from Davis.
Just win baby!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Jerry listening to Davis is on Jerry so in the end he is responsible
And this is the difference between the paradigm oof fault and blame and looking for cause and effect.

I am looking as to how things happen. You are looking for someone to be mad at.

Enjoy your copium.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
His playing for a college football national championship team fed his self-perception of fundamental football concepts. It has been partnership with Jimmy Johnson that fed his self-belief in knowing how to build professional football winning teams. The capstone has been the validation of his peers with his induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame (incorrectly) as a general manager instead of (truthfully) as an NFL owner, who helped evolve the league into a multibillion-dollar industry.

All of the above makes Jones believe he is a football genius, no matter how much other observers of what he has done since February 1989 disagree.
This is just the real scotsman argument.

Jerry has routinely ceded power the last decade belying your narrative.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
  • Al Davis still runs the Raiders--they consult him through a Ouija board.
  • For fun watch Al Davis talk about Lane Kiffin.
  • I would love to see Jerry wear a tracksuit to games.
  • Al Davis convinced Jerry Jones to keep Michael Irvin.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well you cited the HoF and all of it's peers seeing him as a GM but they are all wrong and you know what is 'real.'
I re-read what I stated earlier and see that I was not more clear. My earlier comment was:

...The capstone has been the validation of his peers with his induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame (incorrectly) as a general manager instead of (truthfully) as an NFL owner, who helped evolve the league into a multibillion-dollar industry...
What I should have stated was:

The capstone has been his perceived self-validation of his peers inducting him into the Pro Football Hall of Fame (which is incorrect) as a general manager instead of (in truth) inducted primarily as an NFL owner, who helped evolve the league into a multibillion-dollar industry.
Totally my bad. Apologies.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I re-read what I stated earlier and see that I was not more clear. My earlier comment was:

What I should have stated was:

Totally my bad. Apologies.
Trying to speak for the Hof and it's peers does not make your argument stronger.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well you are claiming that when the HoF and it's peers call him a GM that is just a perception.
No. I stated Jones sees his induction as primarily as a general manager. His enshrinement is primarily as an NFL owner. It is a contradiction of his own making but the perception strengthens his self-belief of his qualifications as a general manager. That self-belief has been overly inflated since day one.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
No. I stated Jones sees his induction as primarily as a general manager. His enshrinement is primarily as an NFL owner. It is a contradiction of his own making but the perception strengthens his self-belief of his qualifications as a general manager. That self-belief has been overly inflated since day one.
HoF states:

The Cowboys' owner, president and general manager, Jones took over the franchise in 1989 and quickly restored the winning tradition in Dallas.

https://www.profootballhof.com/players/jerry-jones/

They give no such equivocation.

And then there is the executive of the year that the writers gave him.

There is an issue with perception but it is not Jerry's.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HoF states:
Incomplete. The complete biography below.

Paragraph 1: Completely subscribes to Jones' ownership:

Jerry Jones' stewardship of the Dallas Cowboys led to unprecedented results in his first decade and continued success for one of the most notable sports franchises in the world. His leadership in areas of sports marketing and promotion not only have impacted the Cowboys profoundly, but it also has influenced the landscape of the entire National Football League and America’s sports culture.

Paragraph 2: Includes Jones' titles as president and general manager but specifies his achievements as an owner:

The Cowboys' owner, president and general manager, Jones took over the franchise in 1989 and quickly restored the winning tradition in Dallas. He became the first owner in NFL history to lead his team to three Super Bowl titles in his first seven years of ownership.

Paragraph 3: the use of the word 'guidance' is inclusive of both his status as owner and general manager and not exclusively that of general manager:

The first decade of the Cowboys under Jones’ guidance resulted in seven playoff appearances, six division titles, four conference championship games and becoming the first team to claim three Super Bowls in a four-season span. With Jones at the helm, the Cowboys earned victories in Super Bowls XXVII, XXVIII and XXX.

Paragraph 4: Ambiguous of his status as owner or general manager:

The commitment to winning has continued, as the Cowboys advanced to the postseason in 2016, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2023, giving the team 18 postseason appearances in the Jones era.

Paragraph 5: Completely encompasses Jones' success as an owner:

His vision extends far beyond success on the football field. He was the driving influence behind the creation and development of AT&T Stadium, considered the “crown jewel” of all sports venues, which opened in 2009. Millions of fans have attended a multitude of sports and entertainment events and tours to experience the grand 100,000-plus seat stadium.

Paragraph 6: Almost completely outlines Jones' accomplishments as an owner:

The co-captain of the 1964 Nation Champion Arkansas Razorbacks has contributed as a member of a wide range of league committees, and his innovations in areas of marketing, sponsorship, stadium management, labor negotiations and television deals have shaped and enhanced the NFL’s standing as the premier sports league in the world.

https://www.profootballhof.com/hall-of-famers/selection-process-faq/

How are Coach/Contributor and Seniors Candidates Chosen?​

...In advance of both meetings for Coach/Contributor and Seniors, each Selector is provided with detailed biographical information on the candidates.

The exact information provided during the selection process is unknown but each enshrinement biography is a concise summary of the information submitted to the Board of Selectors. Thus, Jerry Jones' final biography, which was the basis of the board's consideration, entailed the following:

• 6/10ths argument for enshrinement as an owner
  • 3/10ths argument for enshrinement as a general manager
  • 1/10ths argument for enshrinement as something other than an owner or general manager

The Pro Football Hall of Fame selected and inducted Jerry Jones into its Class of 2017 primarily for his achievements and accomplishments as an NFL owner.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Incomplete. The complete biography below.

Paragraph 1: Completely subscribes to Jones' ownership:

Jerry Jones' stewardship of the Dallas Cowboys led to unprecedented results in his first decade and continued success for one of the most notable sports franchises in the world. His leadership in areas of sports marketing and promotion not only have impacted the Cowboys profoundly, but it also has influenced the landscape of the entire National Football League and America’s sports culture.

Paragraph 2: Includes Jones' titles as president and general manager but specifies his achievements as an owner:

The Cowboys' owner, president and general manager, Jones took over the franchise in 1989 and quickly restored the winning tradition in Dallas. He became the first owner in NFL history to lead his team to three Super Bowl titles in his first seven years of ownership.

Paragraph 3: the use of the word 'guidance' is inclusive of both his status as owner and general manager and not exclusively that of general manager:

The first decade of the Cowboys under Jones’ guidance resulted in seven playoff appearances, six division titles, four conference championship games and becoming the first team to claim three Super Bowls in a four-season span. With Jones at the helm, the Cowboys earned victories in Super Bowls XXVII, XXVIII and XXX.

Paragraph 4: Ambiguous of his status as owner or general manager:

The commitment to winning has continued, as the Cowboys advanced to the postseason in 2016, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2023, giving the team 18 postseason appearances in the Jones era.

Paragraph 5: Completely encompasses Jones' success as an owner:

His vision extends far beyond success on the football field. He was the driving influence behind the creation and development of AT&T Stadium, considered the “crown jewel” of all sports venues, which opened in 2009. Millions of fans have attended a multitude of sports and entertainment events and tours to experience the grand 100,000-plus seat stadium.

Paragraph 6: Almost completely outlines Jones' accomplishments as an owner:

The co-captain of the 1964 Nation Champion Arkansas Razorbacks has contributed as a member of a wide range of league committees, and his innovations in areas of marketing, sponsorship, stadium management, labor negotiations and television deals have shaped and enhanced the NFL’s standing as the premier sports league in the world.

https://www.profootballhof.com/hall-of-famers/selection-process-faq/

How are Coach/Contributor and Seniors Candidates Chosen?​

...In advance of both meetings for Coach/Contributor and Seniors, each Selector is provided with detailed biographical information on the candidates.

The exact information provided during the selection process is unknown but each enshrinement biography is a concise summary of the information submitted to the Board of Selectors. Thus, Jerry Jones' final biography, which was the basis of the board's consideration, entailed the following:

• 6/10ths argument for enshrinement as an owner
  • 3/10ths argument for enshrinement as a general manager
  • 1/10ths argument for enshrinement as something other than an owner or general manager

The Pro Football Hall of Fame selected and inducted Jerry Jones into its Class of 2017 primarily for his achievements and accomplishments as an NFL owner.
And yet the HoF calls him GM on equal footing with president and owner 'since 1989.'

I get your equivocation but that is you and not the HoF.