News: Alabama's Derrick Henry, graded a second-rounder by NFL draft advisory board, wants to play for Cowb

mattjames2010

Reaction score
you can be a power back with good feet like AD ,those guys kill it in the nfl.If you stop Henry at the LOS its over.

Steven Jackson did just fine. There's not many RBs with his height, speed, and power you can compare him to in the NFL.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Jackson is 6.2 and 230.Jackson in his prime can create on his own,he played with average olines and put up great numbers.Henry is a stiff ironing board compared to Jackson.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Jackson is 6.2 and 230.Jackson in his prime can create on his own,he played with average olines and put up great numbers.Henry is a stiff ironing board compared to Jackson.

Did you watch much of Jackson? Jackson wasn't some shifty back. And Henry doesn't make plays on his own? What part of 50% of his yards coming after contact aren't you understanding?

And what the hell are you bringing up Jackson's size for? He's an inch, if that, shorter than Henry. That's still above the average for an RB.

BigD5

Reaction score
Well - I've heard about it and here are others talking about it so it's out there and you're going to hear more about it as the draft nears. In fact, his workload is mentioned in just about every draft prospectus.

I'm not saying he can't be productive and a good NFL back but there are concerns about him and I like Elliott better if we are going to pick a RB early in the draft.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl-new...aft-stock-alabama-carries-workload-nick-saban
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/12/30/derrick-henry-2016-nfl-draft-alabama
http://fansided.com/2015/11/29/derrick-henry-workload-auburn-excessive/
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...out-derrick-henry-looks-like-fourthround-pick

And he's had 30+ carry games for 200+ yds and went in the weight room afterwards and did 500 lb squats. Henry is a different animal. He's a beast

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
And he's had 30+ carry games for 200+ yds and went in the weight room afterwards and did 500 lb squats. Henry is a different animal. He's a beast

Yep no doubt - question is can he sustain it.

BigD5

Reaction score
Yep no doubt - question is can he sustain it.

I kinda think Derrick is one of those guys who has and will have a chip on his shoulder his entire career. People said out of high school that he couldn't play RB in college. He used that as fuel to become Alabama's all time leading rusher, the 1st SEC player to rush for 2,000 yds in a season, the most rushing yds in a season in SEC history while winning every major award including the Heisman. And most people (scouts, fans, and his draft grade) are doubting he can do it at the NFL level. I think this will cause him to outwork everybody and be a great RB. He's got tremendous character. Hardest worker on the team. Fantastic leader. Great teammate. Winner. Champion. I personally feel like that's what we need to be after. It also helps that he plays at Alabama, whose run block scheme is the exact same as ours

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I kinda think Derrick is one of those guys who has and will have a chip on his shoulder his entire career. People said out of high school that he couldn't play RB in college. He used that as fuel to become Alabama's all time leading rusher, the 1st SEC player to rush for 2,000 yds in a season, the most rushing yds in a season in SEC history while winning every major award including the Heisman. And most people (scouts, fans, and his draft grade) are doubting he can do it at the NFL level. I think this will cause him to outwork everybody and be a great RB. He's got tremendous character. Hardest worker on the team. Fantastic leader. Great teammate. Winner. Champion. I personally feel like that's what we need to be after. It also helps that he plays at Alabama, whose run block scheme is the exact same as ours

I agree as long as He don't hit the Buffet tables with Eddie Lacy.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I've watched him a few times and I'm not impressed. He's not Stephen Jackson. Jackson was a back that came out and could not only run with power, but was a weapon out of the backfield.

The problem with Henry is he doesn't have any lateral agility. He's strictly a downhill runner. He's much closer to Jacobs than Jackson.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Hey, I say the Cowboys draft Jalen Ramsey in the first round. If Henry is still there in the 2nd, then grab him.

If Henry is gone, then take Alex Collins.

I think you look to make a trade from our 2nd Rd pick back into the lower 1st Rd and move up and take Henry.

He is an Eddie Lacy type player who can carry the offense.

To me..he's far more important than a QB who is going to sit for 3 years.

Manster68

Reaction score
I think you look to make a trade from our 2nd Rd pick back into the lower 1st Rd and move up and take Henry.

He is an Eddie Lacy type player who can carry the offense.

To me..he's far more important than a QB who is going to sit for 3 years.

Actually, I would not move up into the 1st for Henry. If he is taken, then he is taken.
I would then go after Alex Collins - I might even trade down a few spots.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He appears to be a hard working, high character guy, with NFL talent. I'd take him.

That's what's going to move him into the top of the second round. He's not a prima donna, and he's not going to cause a lot of trouble.

I'm divided on Henry. I've watched almost every game Henry has played in at Alabama, and I agree with his scouting report. I've been saying the same from Day 1. He doesn't have wiggle; he has slow feet out of the backfield, and he needs to get down field to be effective. NFL defenses are going to eat him alive if he doesn't have a superb offensive line. Having said that, he's just the back the Cowboys need. Imagine feeding him the ball in the fourth quarter as we try to preserve a lead. Or imagine him running through the whole we created when DeMarco Murray had daylight six ahead of him, and he fumbles the ball against Green Bay. Henry's not fumbling the ball, and he likely isn't getting caught.

I think he's tailor-made for our offense. He can block, and if you get him out in the open on a screen play, he's tough to bring down. He may not have a long career, but, hey, his replacement is a draft away.

Second round? Do it!

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yes, I am. I'd find it hard to believe you don't see the similarities.

You're comparing Henry to guys with great burst and acceleration.

Henry lumbers.

Im fine with drafting him but all along he hasn't passed my eye test.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
That's what's going to move him into the top of the second round. He's not a prima donna, and he's not going to cause a lot of trouble.

I'm divided on Henry. I've watched almost every game Henry has played in at Alabama, and I agree with his scouting report. I've been saying the same from Day 1. He doesn't have wiggle; he has slow feet out of the backfield, and he needs to get down field to be effective. NFL defenses are going to eat him alive if he doesn't have a superb offensive line. Having said that, he's just the back the Cowboys need. Imagine feeding him the ball in the fourth quarter as we try to preserve a lead. Or imagine him running through the whole we created when DeMarco Murray had daylight six ahead of him, and he fumbles the ball against Green Bay. Henry's not fumbling the ball, and he likely isn't getting caught.

I think he's tailor-made for our offense. He can block, and if you get him out in the open on a screen play, he's tough to bring down. He may not have a long career, but, hey, his replacement is a draft away.

Second round? Do it!

I am torn, too, for these very reasons. Question for me is will he be BPA when we pick in the second?

batman36

Reaction score

Second round? Do it!

We are in agreement. There's a place on the team for Henry. I don't know him personally, but I know a family who does, and he is described by that family as everything we'd want young people to be. That is good enough for me.