News: Alabama's Derrick Henry, graded a second-rounder by NFL draft advisory board, wants to play for Cowb

Hardline

Reaction score
You're comparing Henry to guys with great burst and acceleration.

Henry lumbers.

Im fine with drafting him but all along he hasn't passed my eye test.

Linebackers and Defensive backs rarely catch Henry once he breaks into the open feild. And that is going against SEC defenses.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Linebackers and Defensive backs rarely catch Henry once he breaks into the open feild. And that is going against SEC defenses.

He's got some top speed.

It's the initial burst I don't like. He's gotta get going and he's not going to make guys miss.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are no 1,000 yard rushers left playing this season.

To drop a 1st round pick on a RB would be goofy.

Dropping a 2nd may be less goofy, but maybe not the best pick either.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Don't disagree with you.

I'd consider a 3rd rounder about right.

Should be some good choices. Collins, Dixon, Booker and Williams are who I would be targeting. I think at least one will be available with our 3rd. This is assuming we don't pick up a RB in FA.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should be some good choices. Collins, Dixon, Booker and Williams are who I would be targeting. I think at least one will be available with our 3rd. This is assuming we don't pick up a RB in FA.

Agreed.

There are going to be some intriguing RB's available in FA's who probably won't break the bank.

UFA

Matt Forte RB 30 CHI TBD $9,200,000 UFA
Chris Ivory RB 27 NYJ TBD $2,750,000 UFA
Reggie Bush RB 30 SF TBD $2,406,250 UFA
Doug Martin RB 27 TB TBD $2,159,668 UFA
Bilal Powell RB 27 NYJ TBD $2,000,000 UFA
James Starks RB 29 GB TBD $1,837,500 UFA
Lamar Miller RB 24 MIA TBD $1,663,500 UFA
Alfred Morris RB 27 WAS TBD $1,572,775 UFA
Bobby Rainey RB 28 TB TBD $1,542,000 UFA
Lance Dunbar RB 25 DAL TBD $1,542,000 UFA
Stevan Ridley RB 26 NYJ TBD $1,031,250 UFA
LeGarrette Blount RB 29 NE TBD $949,632 UFA
Ronnie Hillman RB 24 DEN TBD $942,708 UFA
Chris Johnson RB 30 ARI TBD $870,000 UFA
Matt Asiata RB 28 MIN TBD $800,000 UFA
Chris Polk RB 26 HOU TBD $747,500 UFA
Bernard Pierce RB 25 JAC TBD $660,000 UFA
Jacquizz Rodgers RB 25 CHI TBD $625,000 UFA
Fred Jackson RB 34 SEA TBD $615,000 UFA
Jordan Todman RB 25 PIT TBD $585,000 UFA
Ahmad Bradshaw RB 29 IND TBD $378,529 UFA
Shaun Draughn RB 28 SF TBD $349,411 UFA
Tim Hightower RB 29 NO TBD $309,705 UFA
Robert Turbin RB 26 DAL TBD $271,764 UFA
Dan Herron RB 26 IND TBD $232,941 UFA
Pierre Thomas RB 31 WAS TBD $175,294 UFA
Kendall Hunter RB 27 NO TBD $116,470 UFA
Bryce Brown RB 24 SEA TBD $116,470 UFA
Travaris Cadet RB 26 NO TBD $77,647 UFA
Steven Jackson RB 32 NE TBD $68,823 UFA

mattjames2010

Reaction score
There are no 1,000 yard rushers left playing this season.

To drop a 1st round pick on a RB would be goofy.

Dropping a 2nd may be less goofy, but maybe not the best pick either.

Teams left, Patriots, Carolina, Denver, Steelers and Arizona.

We don't run a similar scheme to Patriots an Denver, they aren't run heavy. Both Steelers and Arizona lost their starting RBs, both who would have rushed for over 1,000 this year. There is nothing at all "goofy" about drafting an RB in the early second with our offense. We need a workhorse back, Henry is that guy.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teams left, Patriots, Carolina, Denver, Steelers and Arizona.

We don't run a similar scheme to Patriots an Denver, they aren't run heavy. Both Steelers and Arizona lost their starting RBs, both who would have rushed for over 1,000 this year. There is nothing at all "goofy" about drafting an RB in the early second with our offense. We need a workhorse back, Henry is that guy.

Umm no.

I'm not even going to bother hitting you with the abundant stats that show that the Cowboys running game was more than acceptable this year by any standard you want to use.

Instead I'm going to wait for you to provide stats that prove a "workhorse" back is needed.

BTW McFadden will be a split-starter for this club in '16.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Umm no.

I'm not even going to bother hitting you with the abundant stats that show that the Cowboys running game was more than acceptable this year by any standard you want to use.

Instead I'm going to wait for you to provide stats that prove a "workhorse" back is needed.

BTW McFadden will be a split-starter for this club in '16.

McFadden will be 29 years old when he's been injured plagued most of his career. And I already know the stats of our running game, you can throw them out at me as much as you'd like. Our running game wasn't feared this year, it didn't wear down defenses, it didn't close out games. We struggled greatly in short yardage situations. You can put a lot of this on a poor passing game, but when RBs can't pick up a first down on 3rd and short or punching it in at the goal line, it's not doing much for the passing game either.

What kind of back helped get us to 12-4?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McFadden will be 29 years old when he's been injured plagued most of his career. And I already know the stats of our running game, you can throw them out at me as much as you'd like. Our running game wasn't feared this year, it didn't wear down defenses, it didn't close out games. We struggled greatly in short yardage situations. You can put a lot of this on a poor passing game, but when RBs can't pick up a first down on 3rd and short or punching it in at the goal line, it's not doing much for the passing game either.

What kind of back helped get us to 12-4?

Yeah, I know you're fixated on Murray.

And as usual you give nothing but greek-salad to support your position other than the 12-4, which in your world was totally about Murray.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Yeah, I know you're fixated on Murray.

And as usual you give nothing but greek-salad to support your position other than the 12-4, which in your world was totally about Murray.

It has nothing to do with "Murray", it has to do with a back fitting our style of offense. Not your injury prone bust RBs that people feel will replicate success in future seasons, even with split carries. McFadden, outside of the Giants game, doesn't bruise defenders, doesn't make them pay for attempting to tackle, doesn't wear them down to open up not only the running game more but the passing game late.

I couldn't care less about Murray, didn't care about him leaving last year as long as we replaced him with someone similar.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It has nothing to do with "Murray", it has to do with a back fitting our style of offense. Not your injury prone bust RBs that people feel will replicate success in future seasons, even with split carries. McFadden, outside of the Giants game, doesn't bruise defenders, doesn't make them pay for attempting to tackle, doesn't wear them down to open up not only the running game more but the passing game late.

I couldn't care less about Murray, didn't care about him leaving last year as long as we replaced him with someone similar.

Murray was a 3rd round pick.

Another 3rd rounder will suffice.

And not everyone is sold on Henry. Looks slow to me.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Henry doesnt fit our style,we need a complete all round back like Elliot but i will settle for Alex collins.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Murray was a 3rd round pick.

Another 3rd rounder will suffice.

And not everyone is sold on Henry. Looks slow to me.

Bad argument is bad.

Richard Sherman was drafted in the 4th round, Seattle should wait until the 4th to draft their CB alongside Sherman.

Different draft, different players, different boards. If Cowboys like Henry and he's high on our draft board and available in the early second round, draft him.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bad argument is bad.

Richard Sherman was drafted in the 4th round, Seattle should wait until the 4th to draft their CB alongside Sherman.

Different draft, different players, different boards. If Cowboys like Henry and he's high on our draft board and available in the early second round, draft him.

Agreed... If Dallas likes the kid and has him ranked high, sure they'll take him.

But I wouldn't count on it happening.