Alamo Bowl: Baylor vs Washington

Aikbach

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4342300 said:
They gave up 25 sacks this year, tied for 72nd in the NCAA. Including sacks Baylor was tackled for a loss 51 times, good for 99th in the NCAA. Nobody in the BIG XII had more negative plays from scrimmage. Griffin was hit one out of every five pass attempts this season.

Baylor ran for a lot of yards, but their line isnt "great" by any stretch,
You put too much emphasis on non-contextual stats, the reality is they're huge and scouted well and tremendous run blockers, there's a reason two OL from Baylor went in the first round in two of the last three drafts and why Ganaway led the Big 12 in rushing. The number 2 offense in the nation doesn't have a poor or even average line.

Two months ago Dallas had the statistical best D in the NFL, anyone who watched the games knew the stats were lies.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Aikbach;4342299 said:
A lot can change in a year, and you said EVER, as in why try, how could they possibly build a contender..well ,they're on their way.

Their defense won't improve enough by next season, and I think you're going to find that Baylor quickly regresses when Griffin leaves. They simply don't recruit enough talent consistently. Without Griffin this year they're a 4-5 win team. The only true difference between this team and those coached by Kevin Steele is Griffin and the offensive scheme, because the overall talent isnt much better. The defense is actually worse, statistically anyway. Baylor had one of the worst defenses in major conference history this year.

I don't say this out of hatred for baylor, it's simply the general consensus. Baylor is Robert Griffin and likely always will be from here on out.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Aikbach;4342306 said:
You put too much emphasis on non-contextual stats, the reality is they're huge and scouted well and tremendous run blockers, there's a reason two OL from Baylor went in the first round in two of the last three drafts and why Ganaway led the Big 12 in rushing. The number 2 offense in the nation doesn't have a poor or even average line.

Two months ago Dallas had the statistical best D in the NFL, anyone who watched the games knew the stats were lies.

Three of the top 10 offenses this year are in the bottom half of the NCAA in sacks. A&M had the worst offensive line in the country in 2009 and still finished 8th in total offense.

Aikbach

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4342307 said:
Their defense won't improve enough by next season, and I think you're going to find that Baylor quickly regresses when Griffin leaves. They simply don't recruit enough talent consistently. Without Griffin this year they're a 4-5 win team. The only true difference between this team and those coached by Kevin Steele is Griffin and the offensive scheme, because the overall talent isnt much better. The defense is actually worse, statistically anyway. Baylor had one of the worst defenses in major conference history this year.

I don't say this out of hatred for baylor, it's simply the general consensus. Baylor is Robert Griffin and likely always will be from here on out.
I think what you'll find is that as usual you'll eat another helping of crow. You try to minimize Baylor at every turn because you can't stand it that a small private school has lapped A&M on the football field.

Reality is a 10-3 team that fielded a Heisman winner, a coach of the year candidate known as a QB guru, new facilities and a coming stadium is a tremendously attractive place for recruiting.

You're truly just trolling to try and compare this team to 2000 Steele teams and it simply smacks of Aggie arrogance and jealousy, either that or you really truly do talk out of your butt.

Aikbach

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4342311 said:
Three of the top 10 offenses this year are in the bottom half of the NCAA in sacks. A&M had the worst offensive line in the country in 2009 and still finished 8th in total offense.
Proving the stats are not indicative of the actual unit in of itself, if you pass a lot or run option then your QB is back there more.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Aikbach;4342313 said:
Reality is a 10-3 team that fielded a Heisman winner, a coach of the year candidate known as a QB guru, new facilities and a coming stadium is a tremendously attractive place for recruiting.

But what does this actually mean? It's a fancy way of saying a program that has neglected football upgrades for decades is finally starting to get their program and facilities to the level of where the big boys were 15-20 years ago.

Baylor is playing serious catch up and likely always will be, that is simply the crux of being a small religious school in Waco, Texas that receives almost nothing from the state and relies on a small fanbase to provide the majority of it's athletic budget. Through no real fault of their own Baylor will always be looking for that next transcendent player to give them another season in the spotlight. Recruiting will never, ever be easy there and the fanbase will always be small. Programs like Baylor really do have a realistic cap on them in the modern big money age of college football. You wouldnt question if I said the service academies will likely never again be nationally relevant because their handicaps are obvious, yet Baylor with very different but similarly obvious handicaps is immune to such discussion? Why?

You're mistaking my realistic outlook for bitterness and hatred. Im not blaming your school for it's situation, I'm simply pointing out what is. baylor would need an unbelievable stroke of coaching, skill and luck to accomplish what you are trying to convince me they are readily capable of doing.

hairic

Reaction score
Aikbach;4342263 said:
Um, that o-line is actually pretty good, considered one of the best in the Big 12.

I don't see it, I see Baylor's offense as being designed to compensate for a poor OL. They only look good because Griffin stretches the defense at all spots on the field. He can throw everywhere accurately and run, so defenses have to play 2 high safety and at least check him in run defense. That's 7 in the box, with eyes on Griffin while the actual rusher is running at them. Those short passes wide and zone reads really stretch the DLine, keeping them from just attacking. When they stop calling those plays, the OL just gets beat.

You saw it in this game on that last drive for the field goal before the half. They kept throwing it short, wide and quick, then opened up the 2nd half with more of the same and included Griffin-action runs, and the pressure that was there earlier slowed down. It also pulled the defense up and opened up a deep pass that would have been completed if not for PI.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
Aikbach;4342313 said:
I think what you'll find is that as usual you'll eat another helping of crow. You try to minimize Baylor at every turn because you can't stand it that a small private school has lapped A&M on the football field.

You're truly just trolling to try and compare this team to 2000 Steele teams and it simply smacks of Aggie arrogance and jealousy, either that or you really truly do talk out of your butt.

This is hilarious! You try to minimize TAMU at every turn because you can't stand that your small private school cannot lap TAMU on the football field. What was the score this year, 50ish to 20ish? You are full of arrogance and jealousy, pretending your team is good enough to be a BCS team because you have taken advantage of down seasons from UT and OU. Baylor has made themselves competitive but it will last about as long as Kansas' and Tech's competitive streaks. Have fun being irrelevant in an irrelevant conference!

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Joking around I told someone before halftime this game could be a 70-60 score at the final.

Didn't miss by much.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4342307 said:

I somewhat agree but I did find it interesting that along with RGIII winning the Hesiman something else happened according to Briles and that is kids he felt he had no chance of recruiting to Baylor are now calling him. We will see if this success and exposer that Baylor is getting will pay off in terms of better recruting or not. Saying they can't I don't buy that

Aikbach

Reaction score
Cythim;4342424 said:
This is hilarious! You try to minimize TAMU at every turn because you can't stand that your small private school cannot lap TAMU on the football field. What was the score this year, 50ish to 20ish? You are full of arrogance and jealousy, pretending your team is good enough to be a BCS team because you have taken advantage of down seasons from UT and OU. Baylor has made themselves competitive but it will last about as long as Kansas' and Tech's competitive streaks. Have fun being irrelevant in an irrelevant conference!
Lol, Baylor did more in a single season in 2011 than your delusional aggies have achieved since 1998. Last bowl you won was against former savior coach Dennis Franchione, last 10 win season was 1998, last time you finished ranked in the top 20 was 1998, last and lone Heisman was 1957 so what it is you guys crow about really is amusing.

You claim to have top ten recruiting classes every year yet you've won as many Bcs games as Baylor; have fired three coaches in nine seasons and won less games than Baylor over the last four years, yet pridefully tell others what they can't do. well what exactly have you done other than earn a reputation as a bunch of whining underachiever and poor sports?

Frankly nothing, the 2011 Baylor season has outdone 13 consecutive seasons of aggie futility and delusion in a single swoop.

I don't have to minimize a&m, their resume itself is minimal.:laugh2:

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
Aikbach;4342543 said:
Lol, Baylor did more in a single season in 2011 than your delusional aggies have achieved since 1998. Last bowl you won was against former savior coach Dennis Franchione, last 10 win season was 1998, last time you finished ranked in the top 20 was 1998, last and lone Heisman was 1957 so what it is you guys crow about really is amusing.

You claim to have top ten recruiting classes every year yet you've won as many Bcs games as Baylor; have fired three coaches in nine seasons and won less games than Baylor over the last four years, yet pridefully tell others what they can't do. well what exactly have you done other than earn a reputation as a bunch of whining underachiever and poor sports?

Frankly nothing, the 2011 Baylor season has outdone 13 consecutive seasons of aggie futility and delusion in a single swoop.

Wow, you've really taken the time to know the TAMU history inside and out :laugh2:

Aikbach

Reaction score
Cythim;4342609 said:
Wow, you've really taken the time to know the TAMU history inside and out :laugh2:
Yep, keeping up with a little recent football ain't hard.

Here's another fun fact: Baylor has as many bowl game victories in the Big 12 era as A&M.

Want another?: A&M has not defeated an SEC team since 1995, enjoy the new conference, you weren't particularly competitive in the Big 12 either.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think that if Griffin is a top 5 pick, then he should probably come out. You look at Jake Locker two seasons ago and he was the highest rated QB if he would have come out. He didn't and a year later, he feel way down in the draft. Cost himself some money. RG3 and Baylor will not have a better season next year, IMO. They are losing some good players there. RG3 could really hurt himself if he passed up the draft and he was a top 5 pick IMO.

Look at the teams that are likely to be picking high.

Indy - Great QB situation
Vikes - Solid team. Just need a QB.
Rams - Already have a QB.
Tampa Bay - Already have a QB.
Miami - Solid defense and running game.
Browns - Already have a QB but could be interested.
Washington - Pretty decent defense as well.

I'd say that all of the teams who might be looking at QB, with the possible exception of the Browns, are pretty decent situations for a QB to go to. Who knows if that is the case a year from now?

I think Griffin would be foolish to stay in if he can go high this year. JMO

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4342500 said:
I somewhat agree but I did find it interesting that along with RGIII winning the Hesiman something else happened according to Briles and that is kids he felt he had no chance of recruiting to Baylor are now calling him. We will see if this success and exposer that Baylor is getting will pay off in terms of better recruting or not. Saying they can't I don't buy that

There is no doubt baylor can improve its recruiting, but we're talking about a program that consistently recruits at the same level as mid-major schools. In their best rectuiting years they'll be competing with Tech for recruits, not Texas and OU. Sure they may sign a big boy every now and then, but let's not forget that the only reason RGIII is there is because he followed Briles from Houston.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4342688 said:
I think that if Griffin is a top 5 pick, then he should probably come out. You look at Jake Locker two seasons ago and he was the highest rated QB if he would have come out. He didn't and a year later, he feel way down in the draft. Cost himself some money. RG3 and Baylor will not have a better season next year, IMO. They are losing some good players there. RG3 could really hurt himself if he passed up the draft and he was a top 5 pick IMO.

Look at the teams that are likely to be picking high.

Indy - Great QB situation
Vikes - Solid team. Just need a QB.
Rams - Already have a QB.
Tampa Bay - Already have a QB.
Miami - Solid defense and running game.
Browns - Already have a QB but could be interested.
Washington - Pretty decent defense as well.

I'd say that all of the teams who might be looking at QB, with the possible exception of the Browns, are pretty decent situations for a QB to go to. Who knows if that is the case a year from now?

I think Griffin would be foolish to stay in if he can go high this year. JMO

In my opinion I don't think it is every foolish to stay the extra year. Guys like Aikman and Manning did and both have said it was the right choice. If it is just about the draft position and money right now then leave if it is about giving yourself the best oppertunity for the long haul I think you are better off staying.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Aikbach;4342543 said:

What you say isnt untrue, however the difference is that A&M DOES recruit so well even when we are bad and DOES have elite resources. A&M has a high ceiling and is historically on the same level as schools like Auburn and Wisconsin. Nobody is going to be shocked if and when A&M is an elite program again one day because of this.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4342698 said:
There is no doubt baylor can improve its recruiting, but we're talking about a program that consistently recruits at the same level as mid-major schools. In their best rectuiting years they'll be competing with Tech for recruits, not Texas and OU. Sure they may sign a big boy every now and then, but let's not forget that the only reason RGIII is there is because he followed Briles from Houston.

The more national expose a school gets the more likely they are to get better players.

Baylor is allotted the same amount of scholarships as any of the other schools and while I do agree it is hard to compete with OU and Texas when it comes to recruiting in the Big 12 there are still a lot of young talented kids out there and as Briles said kids who he was interested in but felt not much of a chance of getting are now calling him. Kids what the chance and they want the media expose to further their careers and the more success a program has the easier it becomes to get quality players.

Your last point only deepens my conviction that Briles can help turn this program around when a kid like RGIII is willing to follow Briles.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4342702 said:
What you say isnt untrue, however the difference is that A&M DOES recruit so well even when we are bad and DOES have elite resources. A&M has a high ceiling and is historically on the same level as schools like Auburn and Wisconsin. Nobody is going to be shocked if and when A&M is an elite program again one day because of this.

I love how you pat A&M on the back but kick everyone else as they are incapable.