Alarming stat downplays Dak Prescott's passing ability

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's what I said at the end of this season, Dak is the new Romo, at this point. His career would've for sure been wasted if things didn't change. Hopefully, the coaching change is a sign that things are changing her and Dak will have a chance to blossom. But with Jerrah at the head of the helm, there cause for concern that the main problem with this team still lingers there in the background, while the general population gets distracted with the new shiny.
Yea, I’m just as frustrated with our franchise under Dak as I was Romo. And we had A proven HC come in before with Parcells and it didn’t end any better.

Our issues are systematically hindered and infested from the top. Until that changes my hopes will be very limited.

Remember Jerry screwed up the greatest team in Cowboys history. Unless we have similar dominating talent as such which can overcome the dysfunction Jerry’s toxic atmosphere presents ...my hope will be very limited.

If we had a Mahomes at QB with a generational defense Seattle, Tampa or Ravens had then might have more hope. But this team with this leadership... good luck. lol

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I went back and nope...I can;t find where I "actually" said that OR quoted Eagle.

As I told you...I was merely demonstrating what ..at least SOME teams do to game plan us. Especially in the NFCE.

I found it for Zeke and have not...yet...found one for Dak. That is all I am saying.

Edit: Let's recap shalll we?

YOU: I don’t have a lot of conversations with D Coordinators around the NFL, do you?
ME: I found an article the quotes the Eagles as "we gotta stop Zeke...stop Zeke stop the cowboys" (paraphrase)...this website almost banned me because it came from a different LEGITIMATE site....
I apologize for saying you indicated that D-Coordinators don't say they want to stop Dak. I looked back and that was another poster, and I assumed it was you when you responded to my comment to that poster.

But you did cite the example of what the Eagles coordinator said in post #224 in this thread.

As for finding those kinds of comments by D-Coordinators, I think that's like looking for a needle in a haystack. The may be a few here and there, but it's going to be pretty hard to find. There aren't a lot of prominent quotes or notable interviews with D-Coordinators.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mostly agree . However Dak would not been so scrutinized if he hadn’t demanded to be the top paid player in the NFL. His arrogance and trepidation is alarming given he has not proven much .
I'm not completely sure he is demanding that, although obviously he is asking for something in that ballpark. By most accounts the sticking point is the length of contract more than the dollars.

But a point to keep in mind is that if he does get paid at or near the top of the NFL pay scale, that is not the same as saying he is the best player in the NFL. The market doesn't freeze in place when players like Wilson and Rodgers sign their contract, and the only reason Dak will be in that range is because he is negotiating his contract today, and they aren't. I'm sure he would be the first to tell you that if he, Rodgers and Wilson were all negotiating contracts in the same year, his contract should he the lowest of the 3.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Jesus you're thick. You want to pay someone the most in history .... a player that hasnt proven he's worth it....a player occupying a position that indeed has the most impact on a game and by virtue of that sure does carry huge responsibilty for team performance.Snyder would love you.

Dak has 100% earned it. 100% proven he is worth it. Just came off his best season as a pro. 1 yard away from breaking the all time passing record in Dallas. Cowboys offense for yards was top 5 in the all time history of the NFL. IF guys like Goff and Wentz are worth 33 million then no doubt about it, Dak is worth it.

pansophy

Reaction score
If one adds those 392 air yards lost (due to Cowboys WRs leading the league in drops in 2019) to Dak's career-high 4,902 passing yards, that would have increased his total to 5,294 yards: roughly 5,300 passing in 2019
Yes there were drops, but you can’t just add that to the total. Every yard gained is a yard less that can be gained on the next play. So unless all those drops happened on 3rd down and ended the drive then some of those yards were recaptured on future plays.

Also while technically catchable, many of those drops we on throws slightly behind or requiring adjustment. Yes top receivers should make those catches but to suggest that those drops are entirely on the WRs is not accurate.

Dak threw a lot because we had to throw a lot. Romo’s 4903 yard season we were also 8-8. So given that we invested in a running attack let’s hope Dak doesn’t have to throw for that many yards again. Good to know he can though.

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
Dak has 100% earned it. 100% proven he is worth it. Just came off his best season as a pro. 1 yard away from breaking the all time passing record in Dallas. Cowboys offense for yards was top 5 in the all time history of the NFL. IF guys like Goff and Wentz are worth 33 million then no doubt about it, Dak is worth it.

Fair . I just happen to disagree. We both want whats best for the team.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Dak needs this season to prove people wrong because he ended last year with a dud.

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
I do not believe those "drops" stats. I saw more inaccurate passing from Dak on wide open players than I have seen among Danny White, Roger, Troy and Romo, 1971 to 2015. If Dak throws it inaccurately, behind or too far ahead of a receiver who tries to catch the ball from a difficult contortion of his body, that is on the QB, not the receiver.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
None of those QBs' teams led the league in dropped passes like the Cowboys did last year. Not even close. Very easy to figure out. Cool but a dumb thing to think about, eh?
I guess at some point you have to figure it out, and adding CD to the talented group should expose that issue, to the source.
Coop, Gallup and CD is tops in the league now,, if dropped passes will still be an excuse, we have to be the best franchise in the league at flooding a position full of top end WRs that cant catch the ball.
No more excuses now.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I guess at some point you have to figure it out, and adding CD to the talented group should expose that issue, to the source.
Coop, Gallup and CD is tops in the league now,, if dropped passes will still be an excuse, we have to be the best franchise in the league at flooding a position full of top end WRs that cant catch the ball.
No more excuses now.
Of course. You're right. Now let's see if we still have a season.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
The two drops that killed the season early were Cobb on 3rd down vs the Saints and Cooper early vs the Packers that was an INT.

Both those being catches probably have a huge effect on winning those games and not having the overreactions of the offense not working vs good teams.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
  • By Brad Crawford
  • Jun 8, 2020 at 7:50 am ET • 1 min read
Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott last fall enjoyed a career-best season, one that would've been even better had his receivers held onto the football. According to Pro Football Focus, Prescott led the NFL in air yards lost on dropped passes with 392 thanks to a group of receivers that were wildly-inconsistent when targeted.

Prescott finished with a career-high 4,902 passing yards (1 yard shy of tying Tony Romo's franchise single season passing yards record...and 2 yards shy of breaking it), nearly breaking the all-time single-season franchise record and has used that production as a primary strength during the negotiation process this offseason. Cowboys wideout Michael Gallup ranked second in the league with 11 drops on 113 targets while Randall Cobb in the slot tied for sixth with eight drops on 83 targets.

These numbers prove Prescott would in fact be considered among the league's elite under center if his supporting cast did a better job of holding up their end of the bargain.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/alarming-stat-downplays-dak-prescotts-passing-ability/
via: cbssports

If one adds those 392 air yards lost (due to Cowboys WRs leading the league in drops in 2019) to Dak's career-high 4,902 passing yards, that would have increased his total to 5,294 yards: roughly 5,300 passing in 2019...by far the highest single season Cowboys franchise passing record and without a doubt an elite passer throughout the league. It also would have landed Dak with the 3rd highest single season passing yards ever in NFL history:

Current NFL Top 10 highest single season passing records:

1 Peyton Manning (37) 5,477 2013 DEN
2 Drew Brees (32) 5,476 2011 NOR
3 Tom Brady (34) 5,235 2011 NWE
4 Drew Brees (37) 5,208 2016 NOR
5 Drew Brees (33) 5,177 2012 NOR
6 Drew Brees (34) 5,162 2013 NOR
7 Ben Roethlisberger (36) 5,129 2018 PIT
8 Jameis Winston (25) 5,109 2019 TAM
9 Patrick Mahomes (22) 5,097 2018 KAN
10 Dan Marino+ (22) 5,084 1984 MIA

No wonder Dak at age 26 (entering his prime) is holding out for top overall QB pay. He's only going to get better under new Head Coach Mike McCarthy and his pro-passer QB system.

How Bout Them Cowboys! :starspin:

:popcorn:

Great spin.
watch Jerry read this and give Duck $40 mil a year and cowboys will be, in normal years, 9-7, 8-9, depending on enlarged season.
Blimey.
At least no more 8-8 seasons.
:)

glimmerman

Reaction score
The two drops that killed the season early were Cobb on 3rd down vs the Saints and Cooper early vs the Packers that was an INT.

Both those being catches probably have a huge effect on winning those games and not having the overreactions of the offense not working vs good teams.
I think both of those balls were catchable. Maybe not the perfect placement but for sure catchable..

glimmerman

Reaction score
Exactly right. No way Dak is taking less than those QB's and he shouldn't.
He won’t take less.. But if 35 is truly on the table then he should take it. 4 years 140 million. If we wants a 5th year then it’s going to cost JJ.

landryscorner

Reaction score
  • By Brad Crawford
  • Jun 8, 2020 at 7:50 am ET • 1 min read
Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott last fall enjoyed a career-best season, one that would've been even better had his receivers held onto the football. According to Pro Football Focus, Prescott led the NFL in air yards lost on dropped passes with 392 thanks to a group of receivers that were wildly-inconsistent when targeted.

Prescott finished with a career-high 4,902 passing yards (1 yard shy of tying Tony Romo's franchise single season passing yards record...and 2 yards shy of breaking it), nearly breaking the all-time single-season franchise record and has used that production as a primary strength during the negotiation process this offseason. Cowboys wideout Michael Gallup ranked second in the league with 11 drops on 113 targets while Randall Cobb in the slot tied for sixth with eight drops on 83 targets.

These numbers prove Prescott would in fact be considered among the league's elite under center if his supporting cast did a better job of holding up their end of the bargain.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/alarming-stat-downplays-dak-prescotts-passing-ability/
via: cbssports

If one adds those 392 air yards lost (due to Cowboys WRs leading the league in drops in 2019) to Dak's career-high 4,902 passing yards, that would have increased his total to 5,294 yards: roughly 5,300 passing in 2019...by far the highest single season Cowboys franchise passing record and without a doubt an elite passer throughout the league. It also would have landed Dak with the 3rd highest single season passing yards ever in NFL history:

Current NFL Top 10 highest single season passing records:

1 Peyton Manning (37) 5,477 2013 DEN
2 Drew Brees (32) 5,476 2011 NOR
3 Tom Brady (34) 5,235 2011 NWE
4 Drew Brees (37) 5,208 2016 NOR
5 Drew Brees (33) 5,177 2012 NOR
6 Drew Brees (34) 5,162 2013 NOR
7 Ben Roethlisberger (36) 5,129 2018 PIT
8 Jameis Winston (25) 5,109 2019 TAM
9 Patrick Mahomes (22) 5,097 2018 KAN
10 Dan Marino+ (22) 5,084 1984 MIA

No wonder Dak at age 26 (entering his prime) is holding out for top overall QB pay. He's only going to get better under new Head Coach Mike McCarthy and his pro-passer QB system.

How Bout Them Cowboys! :starspin:

:popcorn:

Playing from behind
Defense strategy to shut down Zeke

forcing DAK to beat you outcome=.500 season and high yardage...let's move on.