Alarming stat downplays Dak Prescott's passing ability

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
wins against weak opponents are expected. All the games where there is a challenge against good teams , Dak chokes.
The reason we don't look at stats is because many losing QBs have them, for example Jameis Winston.
Bottom line: Dak is hard to evaluate as he is surrounded by superior offensive talent, and yet he lost many crucial games , and actually failed to score 1 TD against some teams like the saints and new england and philly.
This is why the hesitation of making him the highest player in the league. Don't you agree ?
which games against good teams did he choke? lets list them...and I am sure you are looking at 2019 only. right. because none of the other years matter, since those years don't support your argument.

and now I am confused. you say we don't look at stats, yet you looked at wins and losses and "choking" against good teams.....how did he choke against them..oh, you are going to show me stats? but we don't look at stats as you said...or did you mean we look at stats that matter to your opinion, ignore the rest because they don't support your opinion

and stats are only part of it, you don't look at one stat. you look at all of them. and you look circumstances as well. smart NFL people do that....

and I find it funny, now you mention superior offensive talent, yet 2 months ago, this board was on fire not wanting to sign cooper because he is not even a top 15 WR in the league...now he is superior talent...gallup was a rookie in 2018, he played better in 2019. ....is it gallup? or is it Dak? people on this very board were complaining about Zeke and his performance and how much he has lost......

and btw here you go again, blaming games LOST on dak….. what about coaches? what about defense? what about special teams? they hold no culpability in any of that. wins and losses fall on the QB no matter what? what about the wins are they attributed to Dak since that's your measuring stick....and is 2019 the only year that matters?

and I have no hesitation in making him the highest paid player. given Ryan, Wilson, Stafford etc. all got paid big contracts amounts and were highest paid at the time......outside of Wilson none had won anything at the time.....and two years from now, 4 years from now, his salary won't be the highest...its the way NFL works.....cousins got paid 33M/year....is he among the best QBs in the league? Goff got paid, wentz got paid.

and like I said.....there are NFL people, who have actual NFL connections, who have actually played in the NFL, who have actually talked to FO and Scouts in the league who think he is worth the money and he is capable....but I guess you know more...right?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
okay …. so that means no D-coordinator in the NFL ever said they were concerned with stopping Dak?
I didn't say that.

I was merely adding to what I KNOW D coords and players have said about "game planning" against us.

I would cite my source...apparently the source is in the rules somewhere but even just a quote is not allowed. If YOU can find one about Dak...that would help.

PS...maybe I can find it somewhere else....{shrug}.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't say that.

I was merely adding to what I KNOW D coords and players have said about "game planning" against us.

I would cite my source...apparently the source is in the rules somewhere but even just a quote is not allowed. If YOU can find one about Dak...that would help.

PS...maybe I can find it somewhere else....{shrug}.
You actually did say "When have you ever heard a D coordinator say, We have to stop Dak?", and you used the Eagle's example as a way to support that comment.

You don't have to cite your source - I'm not doubting that the comment was made or tthat teams have focused efforts on Zeke much of the time. I'm just questioning the idea that teams don't sometimes also worry about Dak. A single quote, or even a couple, doesn't speak for the thoughts of all D-Coordinators at all times.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Winston also had 30 INT's - we can all make players look good or bad if we limit the talking points only to what suits our purpose.

But yes, the performance against better teams was lacking last year, but it's not all on Dak, just as it's not all on any QB. The Packers were 6-9 with Aaron Rodgers at QB in 2018 - did Rodgers suddenly suck, or does that point to the fact that there is more going on than just the QB?

All that said, without question Dak has things to improve on, and did not perform as well as he could have in some of the losses. All I ask is that posters look at things fairly, and not just at what fits the narrative they want to promote

If we had more people saying your last sentence things would be a bit more bearable around here. :)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You've been slobbering over hating and creating division for a long time, yet here you still are following the Jones' product.

:laugh:
I’m in no way slobbering over the Jones product. I’ve maintained a huge critic of how they run Cowboys Football.

You kids like Coach said earlier are just like the Romophobia who couldn’t handle any criticism. Rinse and repeat.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You actually did say "When have you ever heard a D coordinator say, We have to stop Dak?", and you used the Eagle's example as a way to support that comment.

You don't have to cite your source - I'm not doubting that the comment was made or tthat teams have focused efforts on Zeke much of the time. I'm just questioning the idea that teams don't sometimes also worry about Dak. A single quote, or even a couple, doesn't speak for the thoughts of all D-Coordinators at all times.

I went back and nope...I can;t find where I "actually" said that OR quoted Eagle.

As I told you...I was merely demonstrating what ..at least SOME teams do to game plan us. Especially in the NFCE.

I found it for Zeke and have not...yet...found one for Dak. That is all I am saying.

Edit: Let's recap shalll we?

YOU: I don’t have a lot of conversations with D Coordinators around the NFL, do you?
ME: I found an article the quotes the Eagles as "we gotta stop Zeke...stop Zeke stop the cowboys" (paraphrase)...this website almost banned me because it came from a different LEGITIMATE site....

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I’m in no way slobbering over the Jones product. I’ve maintained a huge critic of how they run Cowboys Football.

You kids like Coach said earlier are just like the Romophobia who couldn’t handle any criticism. Rinse and repeat.
Hahaha! You just made my point. You're here daily complaining against the owners (Jones family) and their product (Cowboys), yet here you still are following them!?!? :confused:o_O:facepalm:

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
Any attempt to pin an 8-8 record on one player is flawed. When you can form a better argument, let me know.
Jesus you're thick. You want to pay someone the most in history .... a player that hasnt proven he's worth it....a player occupying a position that indeed has the most impact on a game and by virtue of that sure does carry huge responsibilty for team performance.Snyder would love you.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hahaha! You just made my point. You're here daily complaining against the owners (Jones family) and their product (Cowboys), yet here you still are following them!?!? :confused:o_O:facepalm:
Of course. What’s not to understand. The Cowboys are my local team. I don’t have to like the owners or how they do business to follow the franchise.

Who doesn’t critique or complain about the business they patronize or teams they follow.

It’s like family. We don’t always agree with how they conduct their lives but we still support them even if it’s from afar.

We don’t have to like all of the moving pieces from ownership, coaching or players to support the sum.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Of course. What’s not to understand. The Cowboys are my local team. I don’t have to like the owners or how they do business to follow the franchise.

Who doesn’t critique or complain about the business they patronize or teams they follow. I’m a Baylor alumni and complain about how that University is ran and many of their decisions but they are my school.

It’s like family. We don’t always agree with how they conduct their lives but we still support them even if it’s from afar.

We don’t have to like all of the moving pieces from ownership, coaching or players to support the sum.
Yes, I understand Greg, but do you have to complain all of the time? Relax. Drink a margarita, prop yourself on your recliner and watch these Cowboys truly make some waves now that a real head coach is in place.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I like Dak. He’s done a solid job making the most of his opportunity.

He’s a playmaker , savvy and has good instincts . But I don’t think he’s an Elite or prolific passer.

Much like with Romo. I wanted more and thought if we had it could have gone further with the team we had. I could say the same about having a greater defense, coaching staff or front office,etc.

My issue is over paying him and then expecting him to carry us. I’d dont see him as that type of talent. We’ve seen what he is without some of these Elite supporting cast or against these Elite defenses and teams. Something there concerns me . At least based on what I’ve seen thus far.

I’m just not sure how much more we can surround him with on offense. And once we make these investments won’t be able to invest as much on defense. The kid will have to meet the moment. We shall see.

I’ll be rooting for him cause his success is our success. He’s shown enough that we can obviously reach the threshold with him but like with Romo couldn’t quite lead us all the way even with some decent teams.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes, I understand Greg, but do you have to complain all of the time? Relax. Drink a margarita, prop yourself on your recliner and watch these Cowboys truly make some waves now that a real head coach is in place.
Yes, I do. That’s how I conduct my fandom. I haven’t enjoyed Cowboys football in over 25 years. I hated Jerry even when we were winning Super Bowls.

We’ve had some real coaches before and Jerry always screwed it up.

You’re just fired up cause you believe in Dak. Much like those who believed in Romo. I haven’t believed in anything since Jimmy left.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes, I do. That’s how I conduct my fandom. I haven’t enjoyed Cowboys football in over 25 years. I hated Jerry even when we were winning Super Bowls.

We’ve had some real coaches before and Jerry always screwed it up.

You’re just fired up cause you believe in Dak. Much like those who believed in Romo. I haven’t believed in anything since Jimmy left.
:facepalm:

Big bro, you need an ice cold beer! Salud!!!

beb355.jpg

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Yea, sorry if I’m not slobbering over our continued mediocrity. Same ole same ole. Dak or Romo.

That's what I said at the end of this season, Dak is the new Romo, at this point. His career would've for sure been wasted if things didn't change. Hopefully, the coaching change is a sign that things are changing her and Dak will have a chance to blossom. But with Jerrah at the head of the helm, there cause for concern that the main problem with this team still lingers there in the background, while the general population gets distracted with the new shiny.

basel90

Reaction score
Winston also had 30 INT's - we can all make players look good or bad if we limit the talking points only to what suits our purpose.

But yes, the performance against better teams was lacking last year, but it's not all on Dak, just as it's not all on any QB. The Packers were 6-9 with Aaron Rodgers at QB in 2018 - did Rodgers suddenly suck, or does that point to the fact that there is more going on than just the QB?

All that said, without question Dak has things to improve on, and did not perform as well as he could have in some of the losses. All I ask is that posters look at things fairly, and not just at what fits the narrative they want to promote
Mostly agree . However Dak would not been so scrutinized if he hadn’t demanded to be the top paid player in the NFL. His arrogance and trepidation is alarming given he has not proven much .

PUSHfold

Reaction score
I would trade yards for consistency! I keep seeing this mental picture of that Colts game and Jarwin was wide open and Dak missed him well short by like 10 yards. Thats worse than missing an uncontested layup. He did the same thing with Beasley in the flat in 2016. He had a game where his mechanics went haywire and he couldnt throw the ball 20 yards while not moving his feet. Ive just never seen a NFL QB who looks so amateur at times.

Every QB in the league does this kind of stuff...especially young QBs. Stop acting like this is just Dak who does this kind of stuff.
He's got one of the best completion percentages and set records for first 3 years in league for completion percentages.
This crap you guys go on about with Dak being inaccurate just blows my mind.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Alarming stat downplays Dak Prescott's passing ability
  • By Brad Crawford
  • Jun 8, 2020 at 7:50 am ET • 1 min read
Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott last fall enjoyed a career-best season, one that would've been even better had his receivers held onto the football. According to Pro Football Focus, Prescott led the NFL in air yards lost on dropped passes with 392 thanks to a group of receivers that were wildly-inconsistent when targeted.

Prescott finished with a career-high 4,902 passing yards (1 yard shy of tying Tony Romo's franchise single season passing yards record...and 2 yards shy of breaking it), nearly breaking the all-time single-season franchise record and has used that production as a primary strength during the negotiation process this offseason. Cowboys wideout Michael Gallup ranked second in the league with 11 drops on 113 targets while Randall Cobb in the slot tied for sixth with eight drops on 83 targets.

These numbers prove Prescott would in fact be considered among the league's elite under center if his supporting cast did a better job of holding up their end of the bargain.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/alarming-stat-downplays-dak-prescotts-passing-ability/
via: cbssports

If one adds those 392 air yards lost (due to Cowboys WRs leading the league in drops in 2019) to Dak's career-high 4,902 passing yards, that would have increased his total to 5,294 yards: roughly 5,300 passing in 2019...by far the highest single season Cowboys franchise passing record and without a doubt an elite passer throughout the league. It also would have landed Dak with the 3rd highest single season passing yards ever in NFL history:

Current NFL Top 10 highest single season passing records:

1 Peyton Manning (37) 5,477 2013 DEN
2 Drew Brees (32) 5,476 2011 NOR
3 Tom Brady (34) 5,235 2011 NWE
4 Drew Brees (37) 5,208 2016 NOR
5 Drew Brees (33) 5,177 2012 NOR
6 Drew Brees (34) 5,162 2013 NOR
7 Ben Roethlisberger (36) 5,129 2018 PIT
8 Jameis Winston (25) 5,109 2019 TAM
9 Patrick Mahomes (22) 5,097 2018 KAN
10 Dan Marino+ (22) 5,084 1984 MIA

No wonder Dak at age 26 (entering his prime) is holding out for top overall QB pay. He's only going to get better under new Head Coach Mike McCarthy and his pro-passer QB system.

How Bout Them Cowboys! :starspin:

:popcorn:
We also had several huge plays called back due to penalties, mainly on overmatched Connor “Sucks” Williams.