Albert Breer on Dak's contract situation

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I still think they let him play the year out. I know there is a lot of chatter and that leads people to think they want to get it done, and this is just Jethro posturing, but I think the inaction is the tell, just like the inaction in FA was the tell about their plans even after the lol “All-in” comments that some bought. This has spawn boys finger prints all over it.
Our cap is under water.

Someone's gotta get cut before Week 1.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Our cap is under water.

Someone's gotta get cut before Week 1.
Huh? According to Over the Cap and Spotrac, the Cowboys have between $1,925,926 and $3,862,672 for their Top 51 players...and, they add $9.5M on June 1 because they cut Gallup.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Rare leverage..lol
Oh yeah, it's so rare it's non existent
His “leverage” is he’s experienced, not too old, controls what team he could possibly be traded to, he’s a free agent next March, is fine with moving on to a different organization, has strong representation, and, more than all of this, currently plays for a big market team that has no viable plan of what to they’re going to do if he leaves. Professionally he’s in as good a place as can be expected under the circumstances. In short, the Dallas Cowboys need Dak Prescott more than he needs them. The quarterback that has leverage is the one the Cowboys are going to sign to replace Dak. And before you suggest Trey Lance, he’s going to be a free agent next March, too. This scenario equals the Cowboys currently lack a viable plan at quarterback.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I heard Prescott is asking for 6 year deal extension. Long term stability has changed since the baby :lmao:

Dak Haters Narrattive shift is eminent :laugh::laugh::laugh:
That would be best for the team (if it does sign him to a new deal, which I expect to happen) because it would allow it to pay him lower amounts early and then restructure or get out of the deal later, with a substantial dead cap hit, of course. Wanting a three- or four-year team makes it difficult to move that $50 million APY around.

Brax

Reaction score
LOL.......notice his tag number IF there was no tag clause

From Steve Bussberg (@SBussberg): What is the latest on Dak’s contract situation? Is the thinking he plays the year without a new deal? And is it the Cowboys shying away from a new deal? Or Dak wants out?

Steve, I think we’re at the posturing stage of the negotiation.

That doesn’t mean they won’t get something done. Huffing and puffing about your intentions, and how resolved you are to your position, is easy in March and April and May. As we get closer to summer, things will start to shift, as the Dallas Cowboys come closer to the reality of putting Prescott out there in a contract year, and Prescott confronts the injury risk that accompanies that, and the uncertainty of what might lie ahead in 2025.

That said, I think there are a couple of things to remember here. First, Prescott’s tag number in 2025 would come at 144% of his ’24 cap number. The latter tops $55 million, which sets the former at $79.39 million. And that essentially means Dallas really can’t tag Prescott in March, so he’s got the rare leverage of knowing he’ll be a free agent. Meanwhile, Jared Goff just got a deal with a new-money average of $53 million, months after Kirk Cousins got $45 million, so waiting on this has given negotiations new framing.

I can’t imagine, based on all this, that Prescott would take anything without an average well into the 50s. Do the Cowboys have the appetite for that? To this point, they haven’t. We’ll see whether that changes as we get closer to the season

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...im-rare-leverage-over-the-cowboys/ar-BB1ms6LJ
Lost me after he mentioned tagging him, he has a no tag clause so this clown doesn’t know that, sad .

eromeopolk

Reaction score

From Steve Bussberg (@SBussberg): What is the latest on Dak’s contract situation? Is the thinking he plays the year without a new deal? And is it the Cowboys shying away from a new deal? Or Dak wants out?

That doesn’t mean they won’t get something done. Huffing and puffing about your intentions, and how resolved you are to your position, is easy in March and April and May. As we get closer to summer, things will start to shift, as the Dallas Cowboys come closer to the reality of putting Prescott out there in a contract year, and Prescott confronts the injury risk that accompanies that, and the uncertainty of what might lie ahead in 2025.

That said, I think there are a couple of things to remember here. First, Prescott’s tag number in 2025 would come at 144% of his ’24 cap number. The latter tops $55 million, which sets the former at $79.39 million. And that essentially means Dallas really can’t tag Prescott in March, so he’s got the rare leverage of knowing he’ll be a free agent. Meanwhile, Jared Goff just got a deal with a new-money average of $53 million, months after Kirk Cousins got $45 million, so waiting on this has given negotiations new framing.

I can’t imagine, based on all this, that Prescott would take anything without an average well into the 50s. Do the Cowboys have the appetite for that? To this point, they haven’t. We’ll see whether that changes as we get closer to the season

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...im-rare-leverage-over-the-cowboys/ar-BB1ms6LJ
As I said in 2021 regarding Dak and his money..."Go and get your money Lil Duffle Bag Boy"

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
You know you have a weak argument when you have to add an insult about those you disagree. How about you learn to debate without being disrespectful.
Yes and they do show their personal weakness.

We have a few that say things like...Only real football fans know X. Or I played center and middle linebacker, did you ever play the game...Or my favorite of...Go pick another team.

The remind me of kids crying in the park because no one agreed with them.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Post June 1 cut is a better option.

We need the cap $$$ anyways.
Wouldn't pre June 1st save us even more money?

I love how S Jones says we couldn't get Henry because of the cap, after they make the dumbest cap moves.

Chasing6

Reaction score
No one is talking about this but it's a legit question. Is Dak willing to go through an entire season w/o an extension and losing money via a season-ending injury? Tough call........there is a lot on the line.
He will buy an insurance policy.

Chasing6

Reaction score
His “leverage” is he’s experienced, not too old, controls what team he could possibly be traded to, he’s a free agent next March, is fine with moving on to a different organization, has strong representation, and, more than all of this, currently plays for a big market team that has no viable plan of what to they’re going to do if he leaves. Professionally he’s in as good a place as can be expected under the circumstances. In short, the Dallas Cowboys need Dak Prescott more than he needs them. The quarterback that has leverage is the one the Cowboys are going to sign to replace Dak. And before you suggest Trey Lance, he’s going to be a free agent next March, too. This scenario equals the Cowboys currently lack a viable plan at quarterback.
Only GM that has 3 QB's with contracts expiring at the same time.
Lost me after he mentioned tagging him, he has a no tag clause so this clown doesn’t know that, sad .
He also has no trade clause, but we have more clowns on this board talking about him getting traded.

Bagman

Reaction score
So for all the fans that want to be rid of Dak, what is the plan to replace him because every QB on the roster is on the last year of their contracts.

So resign Lance or Rush? Why would the sign for some low contracts. Franchise tag for 2025 will be around $45 million. So draft one? We'll depending on what Dallas record is, say at worst 7-10 and best 13-4 means that to move up to top 5 is going to cost at least two first especially when every team knows you are moving up for a QB.

Even with great luck and out of the world analytics, the rookie QB is no better than a 50/50 of being the guy. And Vegas already list next year's qb class as weakest in some time. Don't care what Vegas says, we'll those guys are in the business of making money and are right most of the time. Oh, they have Dallas at 10.5 wins on the over and under.

And have a feeling that come the start of the season, Dak could hold out if not extended or at very least demand as insurance policy worth 200 million in case injury.

Want to replace Dak? Come up with a plan that doesn't have Dallas losing more games than they win the next five years and not sniffing the playoffs.
What's YOUR plan if they KEEP him ? How do we win a Superbowl. What's your plan to improve because this roster isn't winning anything.

Chasing6

Reaction score
What's YOUR plan if they KEEP him ? How do we win a Superbowl. What's your plan to improve because this roster isn't winning anything.
My plan is for Jerry to sell the team. That would be the best move to help the Cowboys win their next SB.

Adreme

Reaction score

The writer does not seem to know that it is in Dak's contract that he cannot be tagged by rule. It does not matter that it would be 80m because they cant use it anyway.