Aldon Smith - would you trade him?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Yeah like all the other FAs we put on one year prove it deals. They are always so greatful they give us huge bargains. Robert Quinn practically paid us to stay. You take the comp pick if the offer isn't desirable. Or we could go with your plan, and just sit here with our thumb up our butt dreaming of this magical home town discount you think we're getting lol.

First off none of us here knows the complicated formula used to determine compensatory picks so those that think if Smith walks that it would turn into a 3rd round pick. I'm willing to bet even though I don't know for sure, that his 4.5 years being out of football gets added in that formula somewhere. Second where this started with trading Smith the Cowboys aren't going to get much out of a late round pick that a team will give up for a player that will be a free agent after the season.. Lastly Quinn and any other player you want to mention wasn't out of football for 4.5 years before given a chance to resume his career and has since said repeatedly how thankful he is for the Cowboys giving him this chance. So it would not be so ridiculous for Smith to give the Cowboys a team friendly deal.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If as you believe Dallas has no intent on signing him then sure trade him but if they do intend on signing him for longer term then why would I trade a very good defensive player when I am trying to build a defense?

We have no rights to ASmith next year beyond the right to franchise him, and we couldn't afford it if we wanted to.

ASmith is going to hit free agency and go elsewhere. Can we get a better pick in trade than the comp pick? Maybe. If they think so, we should trade him.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cee Dee Lamb.. That concludes the list of players, I would not be willing to trade right now...and even that has its limits for the right offer.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
To this point, notice how the Rams paid Gurley and tried to trade him and then just cut him for the betterment of the team. It was a contract that was never going to age well given his injury history. In Dallas, we don't do that. Yea we cut the odd scrub here and there but overall when was the last time this team actually sent a message to players that they need to actually perform to keep their jobs?

The answer to that would be December 28, 1992 when Jimmy Johnson cut Curvin Richards for fumbling twice in the fourth quarter against the Bears...a game the Cowboys won 28-17.

Flamma

Reaction score
If sooner trade Tank, but no one would bite.

I wouldn't be trading any good defenders. We only have a few good ones, keep those and dump the rest as soon as contractually possible. Trade offense if need be. Not Gallup for God sakes.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Yeah you’re not getting a lot for him. If they’re trying to get draft picks they’ll have to trade someone like Zeke or Cooper.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
We could only make moves if we has a legitimate GM making the moves instead of a self centered, self promoting, attention seeking, egoistical, narcissist, billionaire and family.

Problem is Jerry's getting old and doesnt have the time to do the right thing and biting the bullet for a couple of years, releasing (cutting) and trading away what we can and then building on the subsequent draft picks.

But I doubt there's many fan's who'd accept that approach....especially as it would mean letting Dak walk.

@kskboys - i agree with your suggestion, for once lets try something different.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If sooner trade Tank, but no one would bite.

I wouldn't be trading any good defenders. We only have a few good ones, keep those and dump the rest as soon as contractually possible. Trade offense if need be. Not Gallup for God sakes.

It's the juxtaposition we're in. If we trade/cut Cooper we'll need to extend Gallup which means there wont be a great saving in either situation.

Personally, im with you, lets keep: Lamb, Gallup and Wilson. Id trade Cooper next year (saving 14m), at least get something for him and able to extend Gallup.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
We have no rights to ASmith next year beyond the right to franchise him, and we couldn't afford it if we wanted to.

ASmith is going to hit free agency and go elsewhere. Can we get a better pick in trade than the comp pick? Maybe. If they think so, we should trade him.

I never said we had rights but because he is a FA does not mean Dallas can't make an offer and does not mean they only way you keep him is by franchise tag. There is no rule that Dallas can't extend the offer this season. I'm not opposed to trading any player if there is good value for the pick but I would give a player away for nothing or some low *** pick.

Flamma

Reaction score
It's the juxtaposition we're in. If we trade/cut Cooper we'll need to extend Gallup which means there wont be a great saving in either situation.

Personally, im with you, lets keep: Lamb, Gallup and Wilson. Id trade Cooper next year (saving 14m), at least get something for him and able to extend Gallup.

And Gallup isn't going to be 22 million against the cap.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I never said we had rights but because he is a FA does not mean Dallas can't make an offer and does not mean they only way you keep him is by franchise tag. There is no rule that Dallas can't extend the offer this season. I'm not opposed to trading any player if there is good value for the pick but I would give a player away for nothing or some low *** pick.

It's not going to happen, unless Dak walks.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's not going to happen, unless Dak walks.

I don't know what the asking price will be nor does anyone else. Could he be gone in FA? sure I think this notion that Dak contract will destroy all is a load of crap. Other teams are paying their QB yet manage to be active in FA and getting guys signed but Dallas whose cap is in very good order will have to unload all players because of Dak. That is a joke

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
And Gallup isn't going to be 22 million against the cap.

No, but we'd have to pay Cooper $8m in Dead Cap (or $2 and $6 in 2022), so $14m saved. Presuming Gallup gets over $10m, the saving's not great.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I don't know what the asking price will be nor does anyone else. Could he be gone in FA? sure I think this notion that Dak contract will destroy all is a load of crap. Other teams are paying their QB yet manage to be active in FA and getting guys signed but Dallas whose cap is in very good order will have to unload all players because of Dak. That is a joke

Get your head out of the stand and go and look at the figures.

You dont know the asking price, well i'll tell you that I know it will be more that the $1.35 he's getting this year (and Dak's tag is $37.69 in 2021).

Ill do the math for you that's $39.04m (for Dak and Smith on this years money).....our CAP for 2021 is reportedly $40.89 (with reduced CAP and adding this years under spend).

If you think Smith resigns for $1.35m again you need to dig a bigger pit.....it's not happening.

It's not a 'NOTION' about Dak and spending on the team....unless he accepts a minimum 4 year contract we cant afford him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Get your head out of the stand and go and look at the figures.

You dont know the asking price, well i'll tell you that I know it will be more that the $1.35 he's getting this year (and Dak's tag is $37.69 in 2021).

Ill do the math for you that's $39.04m (for Dak and Smith on this years money).....our CAP for 2021 is reportedly $40.89 (with reduced CAP and adding this years under spend).

If you think Smith resigns for $1.35m again you need to dig a bigger pit.....it's not happening.

It's not a 'NOTION' about Dak and spending on the team....unless he accepts a minimum 4 year contract we cant afford him.

I did not say what Smith would sign for or not. I put no figure on it. As for the cap many teams are putting in contract that are more back end loaded because they know very well of the windfall of the new TV contract that will see networks double what they are paying now. Currently FOX alone is paying over a couple of billions that is about to double same for CBS, ESPN. Teams know this, agents know this which is why Dak and his agent were looking for 4 years instead of 5 so that Dak would be able to hit FA market again. How much is Smith going to demand? tell me? You seem to think the cap is a hard cap it is not and that is why you will see teams work the cap to free up money as they do every year. That is why teams like the Seahawks can pay Wilson yet turn around and get Jamal Adams and maintain guys like KJ Wright, like Wagoner and Lockett

kskboys

Reaction score
Cee Dee Lamb.. That concludes the list of players, I would not be willing to trade right now...and even that has its limits for the right offer.
I would keep Diggs also, for the future, but you're right, it's a short list.

kskboys

Reaction score
I did not say what Smith would sign for or not. I put no figure on it. As for the cap many teams are putting in contract that are more back end loaded because they know very well of the windfall of the new TV contract that will see networks double what they are paying now. Currently FOX alone is paying over a couple of billions that is about to double same for CBS, ESPN. Teams know this, agents know this which is why Dak and his agent were looking for 4 years instead of 5 so that Dak would be able to hit FA market again. How much is Smith going to demand? tell me? You seem to think the cap is a hard cap it is not and that is why you will see teams work the cap to free up money as they do every year. That is why teams like the Seahawks can pay Wilson yet turn around and get Jamal Adams and maintain guys like KJ Wright, like Wagoner and Lockett
Paying Wilson is also a big part of the reason why SEA keeps fizzling out early in the playoffs.

kskboys

Reaction score
The teams that are paying their QB's south of 35 mil are having major problems putting a super bowl contender around him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The teams that are paying their QB's south of 35 mil are having major problems putting a super bowl contender around him.

soon most teams will. Did you really think the seahawks were not going to pay up and keep Wilson? same with Mahomes. The position is so hard to fill and as steve young said when you find your guy you pay them. In the NFC West only QB not making top money this year is Murray. In terms of south of 35 mill? every year that price tag goes up, you have Garropalo with one of the top contracts 2 years ago now that contract does not look at bad today but it is the market value what was paid to him when he hit the FA market and that is not going to change.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
if we were to trade him best time was after game 2...it's been downhill since then and you can see on his face he couldn't give a rats behind anymore, not unlike every other player except the QB who is gone for the year