Aldon Smith - would you trade him?

Flamma

Reaction score
No, but we'd have to pay Cooper $8m in Dead Cap (or $2 and $6 in 2022), so $14m saved. Presuming Gallup gets over $10m, the saving's not great.

In 2022 Dallas can unload others as well. Also don't forget Crawford comes off after this year and presumably Lee. But who knows with him.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
We have no rights to ASmith next year beyond the right to franchise him, and we couldn't afford it if we wanted to.

ASmith is going to hit free agency and go elsewhere. Can we get a better pick in trade than the comp pick? Maybe. If they think so, we should trade him.

Teams aren't going to give up much at all for Smith. Teams don't give up much for a player that will be a free agent at the end of the season and isn't franchise tag type player because they could end up walking after the season. Nobody knows the actual formula for determining compensatory picks so we don't know that part of it could affect Smith's 4.5 years out of football which would drive down or could eliminate completely any comp pick.

You are proving what Gil Brandt said one time.

There are 4 different values placed on a player.
1) The value a team places on one of their players and the least they would accept in a trade
2) The value the other 31 teams place on that player and the most they would give up for that player in a trade.
3) The value fans of that team places on that player and what the team would get in a trade.
4) The value fans for the other teams place on that player and what they would give up in a trade for that player.

Brandt when on to say that numbers 3 and 4 are seldom if ever the same as numbers 1 and 2.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
In 2022 Dallas can unload others as well. Also don't forget Crawford comes off after this year and presumably Lee. But who knows with him.

Crawford's contract is already accounted for when estimating the $40m CAP......As has been mentioned a number of times we are seeing big increases on a number of contracts in 2021 (.

"Unload" contracts in 2022, which ones do you suggest? As with Cooper, you still have to factor in Dead money and replacements, eg:

Zeke:
- CAP - $16.5
-Dead - $10.8
-Save = 5.7 ........will probably need that money to extend Pollard (FA in 2023)

Lawrence
-CAP - $27
-Dead - $19
-Save = $8m .....im sure we'll get talented DE for $8m.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I did not say what Smith would sign for or not. I put no figure on it. As for the cap many teams are putting in contract that are more back end loaded because they know very well of the windfall of the new TV contract that will see networks double what they are paying now. Currently FOX alone is paying over a couple of billions that is about to double same for CBS, ESPN. Teams know this, agents know this which is why Dak and his agent were looking for 4 years instead of 5 so that Dak would be able to hit FA market again. How much is Smith going to demand? tell me? You seem to think the cap is a hard cap it is not and that is why you will see teams work the cap to free up money as they do every year. That is why teams like the Seahawks can pay Wilson yet turn around and get Jamal Adams and maintain guys like KJ Wright, like Wagoner and Lockett

Point 1
We free up money because the Jones' MO is to give flexible long term contracts and renegotiate money into guaranteed bonus at the latter years ......sounds great until:
a) those players start having health concerns..... (T Smith, Collins, LVE) Romo was our 3rd highest paid player in 2017 and 5th in 2018
b) the player's performance isnt worth the contract (Zeke and Demarcus) and the dead money and the need to replace/extend makes it a financial wash.

Point 2
Dak's 4 year demand/request is to become a FA after the tv deals are signed. I havent heard anything about him wanting to sign a long term contract past the TV Deal and increased CAP, by the sound of it he wants to hit the market when ALL teams have increased spending power.

Point 3
If Dak wants a 3 year deal from 2021 (at presumably $40m) he would be both the highest paid QB over that period and with a contract that gives NO flexibility.

Point 4

OVERTHECAP prediction on CAP space:

Total per team - $176m
Cowboys - $40m (which includes the carryover), takes into account Crawford and Lee walking and NO Dak contract

Total per team - $227.5m
Cowboys - $49m - No Dak

Total per team - $241m
Cowboys - $70m - No Dak and last of the 32 teams.

So now fit in: 2x DT's, 2x Safties, 2 x LB's, DE's ....... as you can see from above, I don't think we can afford Aldon on anything but league minimum (not happening).

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Point 1
We free up money because the Jones' MO is to give flexible long term contracts and renegotiate money into guaranteed bonus at the latter years ......sounds great until:
a) those players start having health concerns..... (T Smith, Collins, LVE) Romo was our 3rd highest paid player in 2017 and 5th in 2018
b) the player's performance isnt worth the contract (Zeke and Demarcus) and the dead money and the need to replace/extend makes it a financial wash.

Point 2
Dak's 4 year demand/request is to become a FA after the tv deals are signed. I havent heard anything about him wanting to sign a long term contract past the TV Deal and increased CAP, by the sound of it he wants to hit the market when ALL teams have increased spending power.

Point 3
If Dak wants a 3 year deal from 2021 (at presumably $40m) he would be both the highest paid QB over that period and with a contract that gives NO flexibility.

Point 4

OVERTHECAP prediction on CAP space:

Total per team - $176m
Cowboys - $40m (which includes the carryover), takes into account Crawford and Lee walking and NO Dak contract

Total per team - $227.5m
Cowboys - $49m - No Dak

Total per team - $241m
Cowboys - $70m - No Dak and last of the 32 teams.

So now fit in: 2x DT's, 2x Safties, 2 x LB's, DE's ....... as you can see from above, I don't think we can afford Aldon on anything but league minimum (not happening).

And again you nor I have a clue as to what he will ask for or what the Cowboys may offer up. We can speculate all we want but there is no current offer. For all we know they may offer a deal that is cap friendly in year one and more backend loaded in following years. What I do know is there are 31 other teams including team with high priced QB who seem to be able to be active with high priced FA. The cap is not solid there is a lot of flexibility where teams will use high contracts to free up cash and deals that tend to be backend loaded. They also know again with big TV contracts that the cap will go up quite a bit, next season it is expected to no go up due to the current situations but most teams are banking this is a short term situation

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
And again you nor I have a clue as to what he will ask for or what the Cowboys may offer up. We can speculate all we want but there is no current offer. For all we know they may offer a deal that is cap friendly in year one and more backend loaded in following years. What I do know is there are 31 other teams including team with high priced QB who seem to be able to be active with high priced FA. The cap is not solid there is a lot of flexibility where teams will use high contracts to free up cash and deals that tend to be backend loaded. They also know again with big TV contracts that the cap will go up quite a bit, next season it is expected to no go up due to the current situations but most teams are banking this is a short term situation

Backend to when?

The whole point is that we DONT have the money in the next 3 years.

You keep mentioning other teams paying their QB's and able to compete, we overpaid: O-Line, RB and WR.

If you're going to moan about building a team when Dak was on rookie deal go check the money we were stll paying Romo in 2017 and 2018.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Backend to when?

The whole point is that we DONT have the money in the next 3 years.

You keep mentioning other teams paying their QB's and able to compete, we overpaid: O-Line, RB and WR.

If you're going to moan about building a team when Dak was on rookie deal go check the money we were stll paying Romo in 2017 and 2018.

I'm not moaning, seems you are. I have said we do not know what they will do with Aldon Smith that is true, all the crap you are talking is your speculation nothing more. Will Dallas try to resign him? I don't know nor do you. What is the asking price he can get? given age and given off the field situation where there are some teams who will not touch him nor were willing to touch him heading into this season. So what is the price tag?

Verdict

Reaction score
Depends on what you can get for him. If you can flip him for a 3rd or better, you do it today. That’s found money. Lock in your profit and move on.

He could be the next bug thing, but he seems to have hit a wall and it looks like we will have to pay him to keep him. 4th or later, wait and see.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I'm not moaning, seems you are. I have said we do not know what they will do with Aldon Smith that is true, all the crap you are talking is your speculation nothing more. Will Dallas try to resign him? I don't know nor do you. What is the asking price he can get? given age and given off the field situation where there are some teams who will not touch him nor were willing to touch him heading into this season. So what is the price tag?

Ill say that if we tag Dak, or give him a 3 year contract, we cant afford Smith at any price above league minimum (that's twice ive told you that).

He'll certainly be able to triple the $1.3m we gave him this year, again we cant afford $4m with the needs we'll have next year.

Flamma

Reaction score
Crawford's contract is already accounted for when estimating the $40m CAP......As has been mentioned a number of times we are seeing big increases on a number of contracts in 2021 (.

"Unload" contracts in 2022, which ones do you suggest? As with Cooper, you still have to factor in Dead money and replacements, eg:

Zeke:
- CAP - $16.5
-Dead - $10.8
-Save = 5.7 ........will probably need that money to extend Pollard (FA in 2023)

Lawrence
-CAP - $27
-Dead - $19
-Save = $8m .....im sure we'll get talented DE for $8m.

Cooper is 6 mil as opposed to 22 million.

For Zeke we wait to 2023.

You're right on Tank.

Jaylon Smith is 11.8 and dead cap of 6.8.

We have to start somewhere. Who cares about Tank if he isn't having an impact?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Cooper is 6 mil as opposed to 22 million.

For Zeke we wait to 2023.

You're right on Tank.

Jaylon Smith is 11.8 and dead cap of 6.8.

We have to start somewhere. Who cares about Tank if he isn't having an impact?

I agree we have to start somewhere.

Yep on Cooper, but Gallup's a FA in 2022 and get over $10m so the net gain isnt as simple as getting rid of the $22m contract. Im sure that's how some are seeing it.

Similarly with Jaylon, yep we save $6.8, but who are we going to sign to pay LB for the $5m saving? We lose Lee and Thomas this year and LVE is a fa in 2023.

This is the reason for seriously looking at cutting Dak if he doesnt give some financial relief by signing a long term contract.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
If we lose the next two games, would you trade him to a contender before the November 3rd deadline?

Isn't that what a smart organization would do?

We're not resigning him.

Jerry will not make any moves before or at the deadline. He's still professing his adoration and "confidence" in this club. He will do so until we are mathematically eliminated, then he will tell us we'll get 'em next year when everyone is healthy.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I never said we had rights but because he is a FA does not mean Dallas can't make an offer and does not mean they only way you keep him is by franchise tag. There is no rule that Dallas can't extend the offer this season. I'm not opposed to trading any player if there is good value for the pick but I would give a player away for nothing or some low *** pick.

I'll trade away guys we have no rights to next year for what I can get for them this year. It's clearly time to trade and play for next year. Older players gone next year are just progress stoppers for players who will be here next year. The only reason to play them is to up what they can get in free agency to increase their comp pick value.

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree we have to start somewhere.

Yep on Cooper, but Gallup's a FA in 2022 and get over $10m so the net gain isnt as simple as getting rid of the $22m contract. Im sure that's how some are seeing it.

Similarly with Jaylon, yep we save $6.8, but who are we going to sign to pay LB for the $5m saving? We lose Lee and Thomas this year and LVE is a fa in 2023.

This is the reason for seriously looking at cutting Dak if he doesnt give some financial relief by signing a long term contract.

I don't foresee the Cowboys doing this, but Gallup's cap hits would be a lot friendlier if they sign him to an extension after this season, not next season. They can dump signing bonus money on the 4th year of his rookie deal making his overall cap hits not too bad. But that won't happen if they let him play out 2021.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I don't foresee the Cowboys doing this, but Gallup's cap hits would be a lot friendlier if they sign him to an extension after this season, not next season. They can dump signing bonus money on the 4th year of his rookie deal making his overall cap hits not too bad. But that won't happen if they let him play out 2021.

I agree.

Can't complain about the Cooper signing at the time (and the Jones' did need a flashy WR to replace Dez), but we cant afford two WR's and a QB taking up so much CAP Space in 2021.

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree.

Can't complain about the Cooper signing at the time (and the Jones' did need a flashy WR to replace Dez), but we cant afford two WR's and a QB taking up so much CAP Space in 2021.

Right. That's probably not going to happen. Cooper, Gallup, Dak, and Zeke? Especially considering what the Salary cap may be.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I don't know what the asking price will be nor does anyone else. Could he be gone in FA? sure I think this notion that Dak contract will destroy all is a load of crap. Other teams are paying their QB yet manage to be active in FA and getting guys signed but Dallas whose cap is in very good order will have to unload all players because of Dak. That is a joke

Lets look at some of these subjective comments to balance them up a bit:

1) "Dallas whose cap is in good order"

Based on OverTheCap (who have factored in: ending contracts, underspend being carried over and estimated overall increases in CAP) ....you may try and argue the figures arent accurate but they are going to be close enough.

2021 - $40m to spend (no Dak etc).
2021 - $50m to spend
2022 - last in CAP space

2) "Other teams are paying their QB yet manage to be active in FA"

Just taking QB and two WR's as an example.

2020 - Cowboys pay more than any other team...... next two - Eagles and Falcons....are you seeing the link?
2021 - Cowboys third behind Eagles and Falcons .....and $11m more than the Chiefs are paying.

3) "Other teams are paying their QB yet manage to be active in FA"

Spending on top 3 O/LINE.

2021 - Spend more on our top 3 O/LINE contracts than any other team
2022 - Spend more on top 3 O/LINE contracts than any other team.

4) "Other teams are paying their QB yet manage to be active in FA"

2021 - Zeke - top paid RB
2022 - Zeke - top paid RB.

5) "I think this notion that Dak contract will destroy all is a load of crap."

Projected spend on much vaunted D-Line:

2020 - 18th in NFL
2021 - 25th in NFL
2022 - 24th in NFL

Now miracles happen but how do we improve that Defense in 2/3 years with no money spent on it??