Alec Baldwin

rags747

Reaction score
I saw a shirt that said Guns don’t kill people, Alec Baldwin kills people. Seemed pretty spot on to me. Also, he says that he never pulled the trigger. Earth to Alec, you cocked the dam hammer buddy and let it go. Nice actor but he screwed the pooch with this one.

terra

Reaction score
There are blank firing weapons that cannot fire live ammunition. Why in the world was one of them not used?

They are more expensive as their ammunition if very carefully made to be non lethal.

terra

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. Unless actors are now required to get a gun permit and take the safety course, then do a safety check on all their props, this should not be blamed on him.
so actors get special treatment then normal people, that is what you are saying.

ANYONE ELSE fires that weapon and they are in jail right away.

But special treatment for the rich and famous, eh?

nobody

Reaction score
Why was a real gun used in the first place? Why not a blank firing weapon with the barrel sealed for protection? Wasn't Brandon Lee lesson enough? He was killed by a defective blank from a real gun if I recall.

I think whoever was responsible for providing the gun and ammo in the first place is partially culpable. Any actor that handles a gun for a role should be trained in its use and check it and know what to look for.

Alec Baldwin shouldn't be charged with murder or even manslaughter, but probably criminal negligence. So should three or for other people. It's a tragedy and there should be regulations enacted to prevent this from happening yet again.

terra

Reaction score
Why was a real gun used in the first place? Why not a blank firing weapon with the barrel sealed for protection? Wasn't Brandon Lee lesson enough? He was killed by a defective blank from a real gun if I recall.

I think whoever was responsible for providing the gun and ammo in the first place is partially culpable. Any actor that handles a gun for a role should be trained in its use and check it and know what to look for.

Alec Baldwin shouldn't be charged with murder or even manslaughter, but probably criminal negligence. So should three or for other people. It's a tragedy and there should be regulations enacted to prevent this from happening yet again.
There are regulations that movie productions are supposed to follow. They were ignored. Jon Erik Hexum died when he pointed a blank loaded 44 mag at his temple. Blanks can be very dangerous. Which is why blank firing weapons frankly should be mandatory at all entertainment productions. You can get exact visual replicas that are completely safe and even spout smoke where they are supposed to.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Even though the gun should never of been handed to Baldwin in that condition, he still should have taken the five seconds to check it. He should not have pointed the gun at someone, pulled back the hammer then pulled the trigger, especially without taking the five seconds to verify its condition. Doubly especially since they weren't filming, or even formally rehearsing, Had they been filming or formally rehearsing it is very likely there wouldn't have been a human in direct path of the bullet.

It was an accident in the way that he didn't mean to shoot and kill his coworker but it was an accident caused by negligence. The negligence started well before the gun was in his hands but that doesn't excuse his own negligence.

If anyone of us was handed a gun by a buddy who told us it was clear and we shot and killed someone with it are we getting a pass?

The Italian made Peacemaker I own has by far the lightest and crispest trigger of any of my guns. Even the Kimber target model 1911 isn't as responsive. This thing is scary and I have even my most experienced know-it-all buddies dry fire it first to make sure they know I'm not joking before loading it up.

NorthoftheRedRiver

Reaction score
Yes. Not an accident, but negligence. When I heard that cast members regularly borrowed prop guns to go plinking nearby, my alarm bells started ringing.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
so actors get special treatment then normal people, that is what you are saying.

ANYONE ELSE fires that weapon and they are in jail right away.

But special treatment for the rich and famous, eh?
It's a prop. Actors work with these all the time, and whomever is in charge of props surely doesn't load them, then hand them to the actor, does he? If your answer is "no", then why would the actor expect it to be loaded? If your answer is "yes", then who should be held responsible?

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
They pay a person to ensure that this doesn’t happen. Alec Baldwin isn’t at fault unless he loaded the gun himself.

I agree, but it does give me pause that he was a producer and not just an actor. So he may have some responsibility.

Creeper

Reaction score
This incident is complicated by the fact Baldwin was also a producer of the film and he bears responsibility for the production set. At least from a legal standpoint. But I doubt he will be held criminally responsible for the shooting unless it turns out that he was responsible for having live ammo on the set or he was told the gun was hot. For example, if it turns out there was some live round target shooting and horsing around going on before the incident and Baldwin was involved, then he could have a problem.

Civilly, he has some big legal issues. Supposedly some safety training was skipped. That’s a liability for him as the producer. If there are lawsuits I can see some major problems for him. But someone on the set was supposed to check the gun and didn’t. Then claimed the gun was safe. That person could have criminal and civil liability.

terra

Reaction score
It's a prop. Actors work with these all the time, and whomever is in charge of props surely doesn't load them, then hand them to the actor, does he? If your answer is "no", then why would the actor expect it to be loaded? If your answer is "yes", then who should be held responsible?
It was a live firearm NOT A PROP. I am amazed you do not understand that just because it was on a production site somehow that FACT is not important.
ONCE AGAIN whose hand was it in?

UNLESS you can show some law that says movie production sites are SOMEHOW exempt from the rest of the UNITED STATES, then you are full of it.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A prop gun is indeed a real gun unless made of rubber or plastic of course. This particular firearm was a blank-firing revolver. Those particular guns require a special license to operate. Even though the blank does not have a bullet in it, there is gunpowder which is still extremely dangerous. Apparently, some reloaded ammo got mixed in with the blanks, I stopped paying attention to what actually happened from there.

Regardless, never point a gun at anyone unless you intend to shoot. Alec was negligent here and didn’t follow proper safety procedures. You can clearly see if there is ammo in a revolver, always assume it is live when handling the gun.