All 3 Cowboys TEs have posted one of the 15 highest negatively graded run-block rates in the NFL

To be fair, Bass screws up that play. Bass falling down ruined the play. Barry Sanders wouldn't have been able to escape that mess
Good point on Bass. Looks like he would have followed Spann-Ford and hit Clowney a second time as Spann-Ford peeled off for the interior defender. Might have opened that seam for Williams.
 
Our play caller needs to be put in the doghouse for that play. Pulling blockers on short yardage plays rarely works.
I will never understand why teams who struggle to run welcome the defense to stack the box like this.

Spread them out. Any team with 2 excellent jump ball WRs is doing the defense a favor by not putting them both out there to pull guys away from the box. Taking a guy out of the play by having him cover a potential pass is every bit as good as nullifying a guy in the box with a good block.
 
I will never understand why teams who struggle to run welcome the defense to stack the box like this.

Spread them out. Any team with 2 excellent jump ball WRs is doing the defense a favor by not putting them both out there to pull guys away from the box. Taking a guy out of the play by having him cover a potential pass is every bit as good as nullifying a guy in the box with a good block.
It's just baffling. In the 90s we could move people off the ball...so there was nothing the defense could do. But today, we don't have the strength, so spread them out ....

I think it is an ego thing. A macho thing. Where one team does not want to ADMIT we are weaker than you. Like we need film that shows " we ain't no punks"...
 
I just can't seem to figure out how these grades are accurate and unbiased with zero influence from personnel feelings.

Nobody doing this work is a fan of an actual NFL team? There isn't any team in the NFL for which they might feel just a little, even subconscious animosity?

There has got to be a lot of grey in evaluations like this. Yet, I don't envision extended debates on each close call. Most likely things are left to the discretion of a few, imperfect humans.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy these grades in the same way I enjoy looking at stat sheets.

However, these two methods have a commonality. Neither one can really give you the whole story.
 
I just can't seem to figure out how these grades are accurate and unbiased with zero influence from personnel feelings.

Nobody doing this work is a fan of an actual NFL team? There isn't any team in the NFL for which they might feel just a little, even subconscious animosity?

There has got to be a lot of grey in evaluations like this. Yet, I don't envision extended debates on each close call. Most likely things are left to the discretion of a few, imperfect humans.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy these grades in the same way I enjoy looking at stat sheets.

However, these two methods have a commonality. Neither one can really give you the whole story.
It’s PFF. They sold off their data systems and engineers, fired almost everyone else, and now just buy the data and don’t really have any analysts anymore. They had a rocky reputation in previous years but after the sale they pretty much suck.

NFL nextgen stats are much more accurate.
 
Spann - Ford carries himself and has a tough guy. He delivers some devastating hits on special teams as well.

That number is pathetic
 
I can't tell what Spann-Ford is doing on that play? He looks like he wham blocks Clowney off the snap, but then disengages and goes after someone on the ground?
Only thing I can guess is he was to chip Clowney and Bass was supposed to be then the final blocker while he went blocked the inside defender. Bass tripped and fell on the pull.
 

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
476,189
Messages
14,671,624
Members
24,227
Latest member
Nathaniel
Back
Top