All 62 Starting QBs From The 2021 Season Ranked

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
The glaring stat that stands out is his lack of rushing yards. In my opinion he should have no less than 500 yards per year. Just enough to keep the defense on edge. Dak doesn’t run anymore and I know that’s due to his injury. But that has really out a damper on his overall game.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
so are you saying that there is not a single trajectory to be a superbowl QB? wow, color me surprised, I thought by year 6 they all had to be CFG or superbowl or they were done....hmmm

NO not at all but if that's what you got from what i said....well have at it!...and you wonder why you are not considered a serious poster around here

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
NO not at all but if that's what you got from what i said....well have at it!...and you wonder why you are not considered a serious poster around here
I made an observation of the comment YOU made and now youa re throwing a hissy fit.

you take yourself too seriously....I never set out to be a serious poster. I just call out Bullshiet when I see it. and people don't like it....but who cares...

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'll give you Jim Plunkett but Theisman played his 1st 3 years in the CFL where he did win a championship and when he came back to the NFL he was the backup his 1st 2 seasons, Phil Simms missed 44 games his 1st 5 years due to injury including missing one entire season and only playing 2 games the season after that, Doug Williams did at least make the conference championship in his 1st season but was never really starter material,,

Comments like this scream out loud that you are either a really young fan with no real knowledge of NFL history or a really old fan whose memory is failing. Doug Williams' first season was in 1978.. The Bucs were 5-11 that season. They were 10-6 in his second season and did make it to the conference championship that year. Claiming he was "never starter material" is just ignorant. The Tampa Bay Bucs had three winning seasons in their first 20 years of existence. Doug Williams was the QB on all three of those teams. In fact they had a winning record in 3 of his 5 seasons with them and made the playoffs those years. In total their record with him was 33-31-1. Not impressive at all.. until you consider that in the two years before he got there they were 2-26 and in the three years after he left they were 10-38. They were also 1-5 in games he missed due to injury. So with him they were 33-30-1. Without him they were 11-69. Your statement regarding him was asinine. He played in a different era and a system that didn't really let him pile up stats. And he was fine with that. He was a QB who played to win so stats never matter to him. Not saying he was a great QB or anything.. but he was very very good and he obviously elevated his teams. And when his coaches took the shackles off and let him sling it he usually put up monster games. But the two coaches he played for, McKay and Gibbs didn't often let their QBs put up monster numbers.

Steve Young played his 1st 2 years in the USFL then Tampa for a season then was traded to SF where he was Joe Montana's backup for 4 years, upon becoming the starter he missed the playoffs his 1st season then took his team to 2 conference championship games and the superbowl in the next 3, Chris Chandler i will give you, generally a very average QB his entire career, Rich Gannon same thing, Peyton Manning (can't believe you want to compare him to Dak!) made the playoffs every year he was a starter except his rookie season and took his team to consecutive conference championship games in years 4 and 5 before finally making it to a SB 3 years later, Drew Brees didn't start his rookie season only became the starter in year 2 so actually it took him 8 years to make his 1st SB not 9 but he did get to the conference championship game a couple of times 1st....Most of the QB's on your list at least got to the championship game a few times before getting to their 1st SB

Please stop issuing up these idiotic statements like they're facts. Brees made it to the championship game ONCE before getting to the Super Bowl, Manning started his playoff career 0-3 and got all the way to 3-7 before making it to Super Bowl. He also made it ONCE before getting to the Super Bowl. Theisman didn't make any championship games before his first Super Bowl. Neither did Gannon. Neither did Chandler. Neither did Simms.

...our QB can't get out of the divisional round and has trouble getting to that point if there is a wild card game involved....as for Matt Stafford, well most people always thought the Lions wasted his career by surrounding him with hardly any talent for most of it...and after getting traded he proved them right this season...we could trade Dak but any team we trade him too would be hard pressed to put as much talent on the field as the Cowboys have done for Dak for his entire career

But how hard would it be for them to give him a better coach? The main reason this team has not achieved all it could achieve in the last decade has been coaching. From the Rob Ryan, Monte Kiffin, Mike Nolan debacles at DC to the Rod Marinelli refusal to draft true studs on defense to Garrett's stagnant offense and now "Yards are Yards" running nearly every running play up the middle if he runs it at all. And no matter how much people like Peyton Manning.. hell I like Peyton Manning.. but the level he played at in that Super Bowl year in Denver would not have made the playoffs for the Cowboys. 9 TDs and 17 INTs? Completing under 60% of his passes? If Dak put up those numbers we would be picking in the top 5 this year. Manning was carried by his defense. Period. He won the Super Bowl with 141 passing yards, no TDs and a pick. How many games are the Cowboys winning if Dak does that every week?

Your points on Steve Young and Theisman are misaligned because I did not count their years in other leagues. I referred only to their time in the NFL. And the fact that they played in those other leagues and entered the NFL older than normal rookies only underscores my point that guys can and do get better as their careers progress and the notion that there is some magic barrier at year 6 is poppycock! The fact of the matter is Dak is not a great QB yet.. but he's inching closer every year. Maybe he gets there next year.. or the one after.. or maybe he never gets there. I don't know.. What I do know is that there is ample evidence that QBs continue to improve well into their 30s as long as their bodies hold up. I see no reason why Dak should be any different.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Comments like this scream out loud that you are either a really young fan with no real knowledge of NFL history or a really old fan whose memory is failing. Doug Williams' first season was in 1978.. The Bucs were 5-11 that season. They were 10-6 in his second season and did make it to the conference championship that year. Claiming he was "never starter material" is just ignorant. The Tampa Bay Bucs had three winning seasons in their first 20 years of existence. Doug Williams was the QB on all three of those teams. In fact they had a winning record in 3 of his 5 seasons with them and made the playoffs those years. In total their record with him was 33-31-1. Not impressive at all.. until you consider that in the two years before he got there they were 2-26 and in the three years after he left they were 10-38. They were also 1-5 in games he missed due to injury. So with him they were 33-30-1. Without him they were 11-69. Your statement regarding him was asinine. He played in a different era and a system that didn't really let him pile up stats. And he was fine with that. He was a QB who played to win so stats never matter to him. Not saying he was a great QB or anything.. but he was very very good and he obviously elevated his teams. And when his coaches took the shackles off and let him sling it he usually put up monster games. But the two coaches he played for, McKay and Gibbs didn't often let their QBs put up monster numbers.

Please stop issuing up these idiotic statements like they're facts. Brees made it to the championship game ONCE before getting to the Super Bowl, Manning started his playoff career 0-3 and got all the way to 3-7 before making it to Super Bowl. He also made it ONCE before getting to the Super Bowl. Theisman didn't make any championship games before his first Super Bowl. Neither did Gannon. Neither did Chandler. Neither did Simms.

But how hard would it be for them to give him a better coach? The main reason this team has not achieved all it could achieve in the last decade has been coaching. From the Rob Ryan, Monte Kiffin, Mike Nolan debacles at DC to the Rod Marinelli refusal to draft true studs on defense to Garrett's stagnant offense and now "Yards are Yards" running nearly every running play up the middle if he runs it at all. And no matter how much people like Peyton Manning.. hell I like Peyton Manning.. but the level he played at in that Super Bowl year in Denver would not have made the playoffs for the Cowboys. 9 TDs and 17 INTs? Completing under 60% of his passes? If Dak put up those numbers we would be picking in the top 5 this year. Manning was carried by his defense. Period. He won the Super Bowl with 141 passing yards, no TDs and a pick. How many games are the Cowboys winning if Dak does that every week?

Your points on Steve Young and Theisman are misaligned because I did not count their years in other leagues. I referred only to their time in the NFL. And the fact that they played in those other leagues and entered the NFL older than normal rookies only underscores my point that guys can and do get better as their careers progress and the notion that there is some magic barrier at year 6 is poppycock! The fact of the matter is Dak is not a great QB yet.. but he's inching closer every year. Maybe he gets there next year.. or the one after.. or maybe he never gets there. I don't know.. What I do know is that there is ample evidence that QBs continue to improve well into their 30s as long as their bodies hold up. I see no reason why Dak should be any different.

:hammer:
@Northern_Cowboy got schooled. people just spew out BS and expect everyone to take at face value, some of the more idiotic poster click "like" and they feel good about themselves, taking themselves way too seriously. nothing like Facts to destroy a bunch of BS that's knee deep that he has dived into head first.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The glaring stat that stands out is his lack of rushing yards. In my opinion he should have no less than 500 yards per year. Just enough to keep the defense on edge. Dak doesn’t run anymore and I know that’s due to his injury. But that has really out a damper on his overall game.
I am against running QBs....if they can scramble, pick up a few yards here and there on a broken play, or few design runs, then fine, but to set a number for a QB to achieve in rushing is a mistake

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I am against running QBs....if they can scramble, pick up a few yards here and there on a broken play, or few design runs, then fine, but to set a number for a QB to achieve in rushing is a mistake

When did Dak break his ankle? On a run. When did Romo hurt his back, that gave us ultimately Dak? On a run. When did RGIII basically end his career as a top starter? When he broke his ankle on a run. Of course, players can get hurt in the pocket, as in Lamar Jackson this year, as well as Wilson.

But I bet if you checked most often the serious injuries occur on runs. Sometimes you have to run, can't play scared (though how many runs did Brady ever make?).

But have to remember physics - F-m x A, having both players moving at the time of the hit can be bad....

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score

I still maintain Williams was not starter material, of course if he was then why after he left Tampa for the USFL and then came back to the NFL could he only find a job as a backup..but we can agree to disagree, as for the rest; well in my reply to your original post i tried to point out some of the reasons why it took so long for some of these guys to reach a SB because it was not a cut and dry as you tried to make it appear, Like Simms for example who missed 44 games his 1st few seasons Or Young who had to spend years behind Montana before getting his shot, after that i tried to point out that alot of these QB also made it the the Championship games before finally getting to the SB (something our QB can't seem to accomplish) As for Theisman and Young you are correct i had my facts wrong about you using all of their career (my mistake), although in Steve Young's case he spent one year out of his 1st 6 as a starter, the rest he was a backup, so trying to say it took him 9 years is not really fair, especially when you consider he was backing up Joe Montana for 4 of those season. But trying to compare Dak to QB's like Manning or Brees or Young....I just don't see it, regardless of how long it may have taken them to win a SB, comparing the talent level of Dak to guys like them is ridiculous

RonnieT24

Reaction score

I agree.. You do not need to be building in some necessary number of QB runs into your game plan. It needs to be about winning games not hitting milestones. Some game we might need Dak to run for 80 yards to win.. other times we might only need 8.. The key is both he and Moore recognizing what is needed and adjusting accordingly.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I still maintain Williams was not starter material, of course if he was then why after he left Tampa for the USFL and then came back to the NFL could he only find a job as a backup..

Williams was .. ahem.. BLACKballed by the league after he left Tampa.. NFL owners put him on the BLACKlist for reasons no one really understands except that there was a BLACK cloud over him for some reason. They also put Warren Moon on the same BLACKlist which is why he was forced to play in Canada.. something Williams was unwilling to do.

but we can agree to disagree, as for the rest; well in my reply to your original post i tried to point out some of the reasons why it took so long for some of these guys to reach a SB because it was not a cut and dry as you tried to make it appear, Like Simms for example who missed 44 games his 1st few seasons Or Young who had to spend years behind Montana before getting his shot, after that i tried to point out that alot of these QB also made it the the Championship games before finally getting to the SB (something our QB can't seem to accomplish) As for Theisman and Young you are correct i had my facts wrong about you using all of their career (my mistake), although in Steve Young's case he spent one year out of his 1st 6 as a starter, the rest he was a backup, so trying to say it took him 9 years is not really fair, especially when you consider he was backing up Joe Montana for 4 of those season. But trying to compare Dak to QB's like Manning or Brees or Young....I just don't see it, regardless of how long it may have taken them to win a SB, comparing the talent level of Dak to guys like them is ridiculous

Seems like you're making excuses. There can be any number of reasons WHY things happens.. Doesn't change the fact that they happened. These guys took longer than 6 years to get to the Super Bowl.. I don't care about the reasons why. I merely pointed them out in response to people continuing to spew this nonsense that after 6 years in the league a QB a) stops getting better and b) doesn't make it to the Super Bowl.. I listed10 names who proved that to be a lie. All had different reasons why.. I don't have to do any mental gymnastics to explain it. I'll leave that level of excuse making to people like you. I merely present the facts.. What you do with them is your affair. Make excuses, explain them away, even ignore them if you like. One thing you cannot do is disprove them.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
QB's are hard to compare or rank accurately. They all have different coaches and team mates.
Stats are flawed due to way they compile stats.
you would have to watch them all play 10 games and then just crudely rank them.

These rankings are likely based on stats that are flawed.