Video: All of Darren McFadden's 2014 rushes (All-22) [39:25]

itsaboat

Reaction score
My Randle video was successful so I went through and cut all of DMC's 2014 carries and edited them into one video. Too many articles written by people who didn't watch his snaps and assumed because of his stats that he isn't going to help us. After watching McFadden's 2014 season it's clear he was severely hindered by the Raiders lack of run blocking but the few times he had space he looked good.

@FuzzyLumpkins did a great job summarizing Oakland's run blocking in his thread here. This video reenforces his post.

The run blocking, overall, McFadden had was awful. The rookie LG was their best blocker and the LT was steady. They were the only two who were effective. The C looks pretty good hitting and moving and getting to the 2nd level but had a lot of trouble when asked to block a NT straight up. Too many times he was blown back into in the backfield. Looks like he doesn't have the lower body strength to handle the more powerful interior players. He did get better as the season went on. Whoever they had at RG and RT were beat too often. To make things worse their TE was not a good run blocker. He could not secure the edge. There were a couple of plays when a DE/OLB beat him so bad at the line I felt sorry for him, 6:29 & 31:35 are good examples. FB was slightly better but was not impressive.

There were only a few plays when McFadden had decent to good blocking. Surprisingly, those were the plays he would gain 5+ yards. He even broke a few 10+ yard runs. DMC has the ability to find a hole, when there was one, plant and go. His speed was a little surprising to me because I thought he would have lost a step but not so much. There were a few runs where he was able to gain extra yards by pushing the pile. I like, with his size, he can run with some physicality.

The (lack of) blocking in Oakland's run game hurt McFadden in 2014. There was no consistency with the offensive line and, overall, could not get movement in their blocks nor could they sustain them. The TE blocking was bad and the FB wasn't great. The few times the run blocking came together McFadden usually gained 5+ yards. I feel like DMC has a really good chance to play well behind our offensive line. They are much more consistent. The biggest concern is his health.

Anyways, queue up a playlist, get a snack, something to drink and enjoy.

(www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0Ev3SB4jMA)

Some of his better runs:
3:39, 7:37, 9:16, 11:36, 13:23, 13:58, 17:43, 18:50, 22:30, 37:09, 37:42

Maxmadden

Reaction score
McFadden signed for nearly nothing because he wanted to run behind this line. He wants to prove something to everyone. I think he will be good if he can just stay healthy.

DFWJC

Reaction score
This a guy has been worn down mentally over the years playing on a losing team and running behind a crappy line and jag QBs.
You can tell he had a hard time trusting them.

Radical change for him this year. I bet he's really excited.
Looking forward to seeing how it goes with both he and Randle.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
My Randle video was successful so I went through and cut all of DMC's 2014 carries and edited them into one video. Too many articles written by people who didn't watch his snaps and assumed because of his stats that he isn't going to help us. After watching McFadden's 2014 season it's clear he was severely hindered by the Raiders lack of run blocking but the few times he had space he looked good.

Nice work man... it is much appreciated.

You're much more than just a boat... you'll always be a big luxury liner in my book.

xvendettax914

Reaction score
He's a good runner. His injuries are the concern. But the guy who just broke records had the same track record if not worse.

erod

Reaction score
What would DeMarco Murray had done with those same plays? That's the question here.

erod

Reaction score
Yes, I had reviewed all of McFadden run from 2014 already and I tried to envision what Murray would have done on each of those runs. My conclusion is that it would have been almost identical.

And the flip question is, what would McFadden have done with all of Murray's opportunities? That is where I see McFadden as the lesser back.

Perhaps, he would have take a few to the house, but he also would have struggled with some of Murray's tougher runs.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And the flip question is, what would McFadden have done with all of Murray's opportunities? That is where I see McFadden as the lesser back.

Perhaps, he would have take a few to the house, but he also would have struggled with some of Murray's tougher runs.

DMC was more likely to run over defenders earlier in his career. I think he can do it, but chose not to at times in 2014. Murray sometimes did it just to add extra yard when he already had a multiple yard gain which was unnecessary.

I think McFadden's role will be as a great pass blocker that has big play ability. I don't see them needing/wanting him to grind out yards with an overly physical approach. I expect Randle to get more of the grind it out opportunities.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Really appreciate the effort on this, haven't had a chance to watch yet but I will later. Looking forward to it!

By the way, I noticed that you have 3.25 likes for every post that you make. That's gotta be unprecedented for the number of posts that you have. Take that, @Risen Star ! :laugh:

silver

Reaction score
McFadden signed for nearly nothing because he wanted to run behind this line. He wants to prove something to everyone. I think he will be good if he can just stay healthy.

The question here is that: after being paid as a first rounder, getting a second contract is he willing to pay the physical price by playing for nearly nothing? is he willing to make the sacrifice for football glory?

FiveTime

Reaction score
Huge thanks for putting this together! I'm looking forward to watching it this evening!