Video: All of Darren McFadden's 2014 rushes (All-22) [39:25]

perrykemp

Reaction score
I don't think I'll subject myself to watching that much video on the Raiders, however, thank you for putting the time and effort in pulling this together and making it available us.

Posts like this are why I love CZ so much.

Section446

Reaction score
McFadden signed for nearly nothing because he wanted to run behind this line. He wants to prove something to everyone. I think he will be good if he can just stay healthy.

He signed for nearly nothing because there probably wasn't much interest in the guy around the league, he can't be depended on, and is a good candidate for the TC cut list.

Little Jr

Reaction score
I thought Sturm piece on Mac was good. It showed what other backs did behind the same ol.

erod

Reaction score
I thought Sturm piece on Mac was good. It showed what other backs did behind the same ol.

But that's a stilted observation. It's not about what you do behind the same line. It's about what you do behind the same EXACT plays, which is difficult to tell.

You can call the same play twice in a row and get two entirely different results with the same personnel. It's just not as simple as what Sturm suggested.

Ken

Reaction score
This validated what some have been saying about the quality of the scheme/OL play in Oakland. By the looks of this video, DMC had no chance on the vast majority of his runs. Not to mention that 90% of the plays that I watched had 8 or 9 in the box, this guy really was set up to fail. I can imagine that other backs perhaps padded their statistics in 3rd and long runs or by popping a couple against these looks.

It was just a horrific display to watch all of his carries. To his credit, he seemed to run with equal determination with each carry. I only really counted maybe 5 plays where I thought that DMC made a poor decision to cut.

I am really curious to see how he fares behind this OL with this scheme with these players around him. I think the Cowboys were exteremely smart and shrewd in getting their hands on this guy.

USMarineVet

Reaction score
Watched about a hundred snaps and what was most evident to me was:

1) He only had a decent hole to run through about 30% of the time.

2) Blocking that penetrated to the 2nd level was non-existent.

3) When he did have a hole, he got through it quick. Real quick.

4) His being known as an outside runner may have been more by necessity and less by design.

Thanks for the post. I'm gonna watch more later.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The question here is that: after being paid as a first rounder, getting a second contract is he willing to pay the physical price by playing for nearly nothing? is he willing to make the sacrifice for football glory?

That one of my least worries with McFadden.

In order of concern
  1. Future health--as in anytime after today
  2. Current health after being in the league since 2008
  3. Impact, if any, in how he hits the holes after learning to not trust his blockers
Least concern
  1. Receiver out of backfield
  2. Pass blocking
  3. Pure run skills
  4. Attitude

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Watched about a hundred snaps and what was most evident to me was:

1) He only had a decent hole to run through about 30% of the time.

2) Blocking that penetrated to the 2nd level was non-existent.

3) When he did have a hole, he got through it quick. Real quick.

4) His being known as an outside runner may have been more by necessity and less by design.

Thanks for the post. I'm gonna watch more later.

Exactly. I just watched that whole video and honestly im amazed that he was able to be in for 16 games even if he didn't start all of them. So many freaking hits, within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage in addition to all the hits behind the line. Stats make it look like he sucked, but watching all of his runs, there isn't anything he could have done. Blocking terrible, 8 men in the box, no outside threats, dude was set up to fail from the very beginning.

sideon

Reaction score
And the flip question is, what would McFadden have done with all of Murray's opportunities? That is where I see McFadden as the lesser back.

Perhaps, he would have take a few to the house, but he also would have struggled with some of Murray's tougher runs.
All of those runs where Murray eventually got caught from behind DMC would've taken them to the house, Murray's tough runs come from not being able to outrun anyone.

erod

Reaction score
All of those runs where Murray eventually got caught from behind DMC would've taken them to the house, Murray's tough runs come from not being able to outrun anyone.

That's reducing Murray too much. He's quick for the first 10 yards. He just can't break away.

And McFadden has no wiggle at all and doesn't break tackles.

xvendettax914

Reaction score
That's reducing Murray too much. He's quick for the first 10 yards. He just can't break away.

And McFadden has no wiggle at all and doesn't break tackles.

If this line opens some of the holes they are capable of, he may not have to do this to much.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The Raider coaches knew that they had no mobility or power up front. They didn't bother pulling outside. Instead they pulled inside often with 2 or 3 blockers. The LOS never moved anyway. As an exercise, I would bring my focuses back and just look for the DT and the los. They never move.

I want to see what DMC will do with a stretch play where Tyron or Free is riding the DE getting push instead of the other way around. I want to see what he can do with our ability to move the LOS pulling outside. I want to see what he can do with a C that can get movement on NT and interior double teams that consistently wash DT out. i want to see what he can do with kickouts from Witten, Martin, and Hanna. Might as well throw Escobar in there as well as at least he consistently reaches his blocks.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, that article was terrible.

The way he used the stats would indicate Oakland's run game with their backups was better than the very best NFL rushing teams.

Players with less than 100 attempts per season normally have good rushing averages. Randle had a 6.7 ypc last year compared to 4.7 for Murray.

He selectively picked out runs were McFadden did not have success.

Sturm is normally very good, but that article was a complete fail. You just can't use stats the way he tried to use them.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Don't have to, I've not missed an NFL game in 8 years, which includes every one of his games.

Lol you've seen every game for every team and studied exactly how the play breaks down? Aha Roger that shipmate