Video: All of Darren McFadden's 2014 rushes (All-22) [39:25]

sideon

Reaction score
That's reducing Murray too much. He's quick for the first 10 yards. He just can't break away.

And McFadden has no wiggle at all and doesn't break tackles.
He's got great cut moves and can find the hole, Murray is a HR hitter from 20yds out but outside of that he gets gassed easily. Saying he's good for the first 10yds is not a compliment at all, any average back is good for at least 10.

itsaboat

Reaction score
Thanks for the post, i will need a lot to drink to watch that much raiders footage

I don't blame you

Nice work man... it is much appreciated.

You're much more than just a boat... you'll always be a big luxury liner in my book.

itsayacht?

What would DeMarco Murray had done with those same plays? That's the question here.

That's what I thinking about while making this. I feel like Murray wouldn't have had much more success. Oakland's blocking for McFadden was awful.

Thanks for posting, this is why I love this site!
I don't think I'll subject myself to watching that much video on the Raiders, however, thank you for putting the time and effort in pulling this together and making it available us.

Posts like this are why I love CZ so much.

I post more on reddit especially during the season. Come check us out! http://cowboyszone.com
By the way, I noticed that you have 3.25 likes for every post that you make. That's gotta be unprecedented for the number of posts that you have. Take that, @Risen Star ! :laugh:

People like the threads I make and I guess some of my replies must be ok too

Huge thanks for putting this together! I'm looking forward to watching it this evening!

Awesome, hope you enjoy!

I think I just got injured trying to watch him run behind that line @itsaboat

I had to take a few breaks from editing because I felt sorry for DMC and the suicide mission he embarked upon with every snap

As an exercise, I would bring my focuses back and just look for the DT and the los. They never move.

Los would, usually into DMC's lap. I wish I could be at training camp the first time McFadden runs with the 1's and sees the lanes open up. I bet he stutter steps and gets tackled for a loss because he won't know what to do with himself.

Little Jr

Reaction score
No, that article was terrible.

The way he used the stats would indicate Oakland's run game with their backups was better than the very best NFL rushing teams.

Players with less than 100 attempts per season normally have good rushing averages. Randle had a 6.7 ypc last year compared to 4.7 for Murray.

He selectively picked out runs were McFadden did not have success.

Sturm is normally very good, but that article was a complete fail. You just can't use stats the way he tried to use them.

That's fair. I've defended Murray many times with that you just can pick out a few plays. You can take a few plays from any rb and make them look good or bad.

The all 22 in this post just doesn't convince me on Mac. Jmo. Im not to worried because I think Randle will get the majority of the carries and Mac was cheap.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Haven't watched this yet, but I'm looking forward to it because I've been watching Raiders games on game rewind just to see how McFadden played. It will be nice now to see his carries without having to watch any other plays from that Raiders offense. Because if there is one thing that will really make you appreciate our offense it's watching a team like the Raiders. That offense is simply offensive.

We are so lucky to have a team that can actually play some offense, the Raiders frequently can't even get out of their own way.

Bullet22

Reaction score
If DMC can stay healthy, no way Randle starts over him, but that doesn't mean he won't get his carries.....

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Players with less than 100 attempts per season normally have good rushing averages. Randle had a 6.7 ypc last year compared to 4.7 for Murray.

It's not that players with fewer than 100 attempts have inflated averages, it's that they are more likely to be higher OR LOWER than the norm. The more carries a player gets, the more likely it is (but not certain) for his average to trend closer to the norm.

For example, over the past three years, players who had more than 100 carries in a season had an average between 3.50 and 4.50 YPC 54.6 percent of the time. But players who had only 20-99 carries in a season averaged 3.50 to 4.50 YPC only 44.5 percent of the time. Both groups were higher than 4.50 at about the same rate -- 28.8 percent for players with more than 100 carries, 29.3 percent for players with fewer carries. But players with fewer than 100 carries were actually more likely to be below 3.50 YPC -- 26.2 percent, compared with 16.7 percent for players with more than 100 carries. A larger sample size (more than three seasons) might have found more low-carry players with higher averages, but the overall trend would be similar -- they'd be more likely to be higher or lower than the normal range, compared with players who get a lot more carries.

So, for example, Randle got 51 carries last year and averaged 6.7 yards per carry. Dunbar got 29 and averaged 3.4. If they had each gotten more carries, it is likely (but not certain) that Randle's YPC would have gone down and Dunbar's would have gone up. For the Raiders last year, Latavius Murray averaged 5.2 on 82 carries, and Maurice Jones-Drew averaged 2.2 on 43 carries. If they had gotten more carries, again, it's likely that Murray's average would have gone down and Drew's up.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Wow! I could only watch 6 minutes of this garbage and only found one run where he could have made something more than what he got. 8 man boxes were about 90%, and even when he cut back, there were guys waiting for him. Pretty ugly stuff~

Garbage not meant for OP, just by the OL blocking. Great job by OP!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
What would DeMarco Murray had done with those same plays? That's the question here.

I've only watched three plays, but there were yards to be had on two of those.

First play, McFadden did the right thing in following his blocking around the outside for a nice gain

Second play, McFadden ran into the teeth of the defense instead of seeing a lane open to his left on the backside of the play.

Third play, McFadden ran through the right hole, but slipped to the ground when he tried to make the first defender miss.

I think Murray would have seen that cutback, because we've seen him make that play (but he's also missed some of those).

I definitely believe Murray would have made at least a couple more yards out of the third play. Add 2 yards here and there and it's a good season for McFadden.

Now, I say that having not watched the rest of the plays, but I don't have time for that right now.

xtreme_2k

Reaction score
Its pretty sad to see by the time McF gets the ball his lineman has already been pushed back to the backfield. The Raiders O line just can't seem to get a push forward collectively.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Its pretty sad to see by the time McF gets the ball his lineman has already been pushed back to the backfield. The Raiders O line just can't seem to get a push forward collectively.

I saw one long completion by the QB (can't remember the game) and I honestly think the best block was from McFadden.

That OL just isn't very good at much of anything.

xtreme_2k

Reaction score
The more I watch the video, the more I realize that their O line looks like they are in pass blocking mode than running mode, rarely you see a lineman get to the second level to clear out the LB's and the lead FB blocker is atrocious..

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
And the flip question is, what would McFadden have done with all of Murray's opportunities? That is where I see McFadden as the lesser back.

Perhaps, he would have take a few to the house, but he also would have struggled with some of Murray's tougher runs.

McFadden is the more talented back. Plain and simple.

People are turning Murray into a national hero because of Garrett's dirty run comments.

Murray wasn't trucking dudes in the backfield on those 3rd and 2 runs week in and week out.

Biggest myth this board has perpetuated. Converting in short yardage is part back... Sure... But it's more line. Darren/Randle combo will be fine.

LowTech

the most important member
Reaction score
That Patriot game was brutal on him. I think the Pats kept 8 or 9 in the box the whole game.

I'll be watching the rest of it.

p.s. The rest of the games may be that way. That's just as far as I've gotten.

Proximo

Reaction score
Lol you've seen every game for every team and studied exactly how the play breaks down? Aha Roger that shipmate

LOL, LOL, and LOL again at the thought of someone watching every single game of the NFL season for 8 consecutive seasons. Why would anyone even want to do that? Think about how many crappy, pointless games are played each year? Ones that have zero playoff implications and are likely relevant only to that team's fanbase.

Also consider how much time would be invested.

Dude is either trolling us hard or has a one hell of a lifestyle.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
I was planning on going to the gym, but I think I'll just watch this and eat a tub of ice cream. Thanks OP