News: All Seven Rounds Of Dallas Cowboys 2016 Draft Board Rankings Possibly Revealed

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I bet the missing name in the 3rd round was Sterling Shepard. He isn't anywhere in the first 4 rounds and he likely wasn't lower than that. Actually, the 3rd would be pretty low for him.

Sydla

Reaction score
So you advocate jumping your board with the first round pick and drafting for "need"? Okay then.

When you are taking the #2 rated guy on your board at the 4th pick, I don't think you are somehow ripping your board apart. The best way to draft is a mix of following your board with an eye towards need.

And I am not saying I would have personally taken Ramsey there. My point is if the scouts and front office had this guy #2, right behind Elliott, given the need in the secondary is much higher than a TB, they should have then gone with Ramsey.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll say it.

Forget what you personally think of Ramsey and how you think DBs drafted high bust.

If Ramsey was truly the #2 rated prospect on our board and given the need we have for playmakers on defense, we should have taken Ramsey over Elliott. I get Elliott if you had him the clear #1 and then Ramsey was say 10th on your board, or even 5th. But if you had Ramsey that high which appears to be there with Elliott, when you factor in need, I think they should have gone with Ramsey.

Elliott was the better pick to help the team overall. He can and will make more of a difference than what Ramsey could come in and do at this time.
Ramsey was not a play maker in college, as far as producing turnovers. He made plays on the ball, in passes defenses, and was better than his competition on game days, so they may have stayed away passing toward his side as much. But stats showed that really was not the case.

Of course this is just my opinion, which means nothing. But Elliott was the right choice.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
We really needed to find a way to get Connor Cook. We had a 2nd round grade on him....and he went in the 4th. That hurts.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We really needed to find a way to get Connor Cook. We had a 2nd round grade on him....and he went in the 4th. That hurts.

I believe they were planning to draft him in the 4th, but he was gone before they selected. IIRC they were trying to trade up to get him, but either the price was too high, or they didn't get it worked out. As he was selected before the team they were trying to trade with had a lower pick in the round, so would have been a mute point to get it done.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Not a fan of Driskel, but he seems to have better tools to work with than Prescott.

My point-he has higher upside and that point in the draft it's all about upside. Driskel's tools are first round.

erod

Reaction score
I'll say it.

Forget what you personally think of Ramsey and how you think DBs drafted high bust.

If Ramsey was truly the #2 rated prospect on our board and given the need we have for playmakers on defense, we should have taken Ramsey over Elliott. I get Elliott if you had him the clear #1 and then Ramsey was say 10th on your board, or even 5th. But if you had Ramsey that high which appears to be there with Elliott, when you factor in need, I think they should have gone with Ramsey.

Who makes a bigger impact on a game?

A three-down back who is more complete than anyone to come out of college since Adrian Peterson?

or

A cornerback who is a terrific athlete but can't catch the ball well and some teams believe is better suited for safety?

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
It also shows they jumped their board in the 4th round multiple times. The aforementioned QB choice, McGovern as well as passing on Brown and Frazier until later.

I do think there are times they might skip a higher or comparably rated player if they think there is a good chance that player will be available later.

Sydla

Reaction score
Who makes a bigger impact on a game?

A three-down back who is more complete than anyone to come out of college since Adrian Peterson?

or

A cornerback who is a terrific athlete but can't catch the ball well and some teams believe is better suited for safety?

Depends.

Can I get a three down TB in later rounds and use premium picks on defense, which was a bigger need? I think I could.

And in the end, you are projecting your own thoughts into the mix here. All I am saying is that if the Cowboys had Ramsey #2 on their board, they should have taken him at #4 IMO. You can think Ramsey is an athletic kid who lacks playmaking skills but the Cowboys clearly thought he was the #2 player in this entire draft based on that board.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I do think there are times they might skip a higher or comparably rated player if they think there is a good chance that player will be available later.

McGovern, who I liked, would be a wasted pick. If Tapper had a similar grade you have to go with him.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

They also are more likely to draft for need after the first round.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Interesting that they took Prescott over Driskel when he was rated lower and they play the same positions.

I think that's the difference in opinion from scouts (who make up the board) and coaches who get more input before the pick is made. Scouts lean more to physical skills and I think the coaches liked Dak's intangibles.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I believe they were planning to draft him in the 4th, but he was gone before they selected. IIRC they were trying to trade up to get him, but either the price was too high, or they didn't get it worked out. As he was selected before the team they were trying to trade with had a lower pick in the round, so would have been a mute point to get it done.

Yes I have heard all of this. BUT...BUT...if we had a 2nd round grade on him...we should have found a way to get him before the 4th. Not trying to be overly critical...but QB was a position of need on this team....and I am not a big Dak Presscott as a future starter fan.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score

McGovern, who I liked, would be a wasted pick. If Tapper had a similar grade you have to go with him.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think that's the difference in opinion from scouts (who make up the board) and coaches who get more input before the pick is made. Scouts lean more to physical skills and I think the coaches liked Dak's intangibles.

I agree that this is likely the reason Dallas selected Prescott over Driskell, as well as the reason why Dallas didn't make a bigger push to get Cook. (If he had been coveted as a second-round talent, then it would have made sense for Dallas to try to trade into the third for him. That the Cowboys tried to trade up to the top of the fourth instead tells me they valued him as a fourth-rounder.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes I have heard all of this. BUT...BUT...if we had a 2nd round grade on him...we should have found a way to get him before the 4th. Not trying to be overly critical...but QB was a position of need on this team....and I am not a big Dak Presscott as a future starter fan.

Back in December, Cook was ranked a mid 1st round pick I believe. Then slipped into the 2nd round. I was on the fence about him. But when he slipped into the 3rd and then 4th round, I was wondering why thy did not select him. But certainly understood why they took Collins in the 3rd.

I can see and think the comp 4th round pick for Prescott in the 4th was a good selection IMO. But they better not just stop there. If they have a shot at a top QB next year, they better take him.
I would like to see Prescott develop, but I am not going to think he is the future at this point either.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
We got a athletic corner who projected as a safety last year. Why would we want another one?

Ramsey is a much better prospect than Jones (who I love) and we need 4 guys back there. We were heavy in the Zeke camp which I understand.

What I don't understand is if Elliott was our #1 guy we should have been THRILLED to draft him at 4. Instead, we doubt ourselves and call Baltimore to try to trade down. I wish we had more confidence in our rankings and if not, get new guys in there to do the rankings. We had a higher grade on Kendall Fuller that Collins but opted for Collins....and whoever had Maliek Colllins ahead of William Jackson and Keanu Neal should be fired yesterday.